What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Warframe event is over, grabbed the stuff I needed from the Void before Saryn Prime release (yay, Saryn!), so back to Tomb Raiding it was!

Last session I ran into quite a number of bugs, an achievement didn' t trigger (find all documents in Baba Yaga) even though I have 100% area completion. The completionist in me finds this painful, especially since one of those documents was the one I was complaining about being a real pain to grab. Ugh.

I've also had my camera "stuck" at some point (only way to look around was aiming down the sights), very annoying, especially since I had no idea how far I was from the next savepoint (it was in a story part with quite a bit of combat and I didn' t just want to bail out for fear of having to start over quite a ways back). Made stealth...interesting to say the least ;) Had to quit out of the game entirely to fix that one (once I reached the next campfire, that is).

Pretty sure I'm off to the last area now.

I was going to pick up Dying Light: The Following, but it was out of stock at Wal-mart when I went there.

A part of me is glad I didn't.  It sounds like the edition they're selling includes the base game.  I don't want the base game.  I have the original.  I just want The Following expansion.

I'm not sure if they sell a physical copy of just the expansion.  I started playing it today.  It's super fun.  Driving was the one thing from Dead Island I really missed not having in Dying Light.  Running over zombies never gets old.  The new area is quite big and has a lot more open spaces than Haran.  The buggy is super fun to drive too.

I'll probably end up getting it anyways.  I just don't really feel like playing through the core game again just to get to the expansion stuff.  I loved the game as a whole, don't get me wrong.  But there were a few quests, particularly some boss fights, that made me want to throw the game in the trash.  I'd rather not play through those again.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Rome 2. Having fun rotating my legions' postings, once I secure North Africa I head to Britain. Miss the OP infantry Rome had in 1, but Evocati come close.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'll probably end up getting it anyways.  I just don't really feel like playing through the core game again just to get to the expansion stuff.  I loved the game as a whole, don't get me wrong.  But there were a few quests, particularly some boss fights, that made me want to throw the game in the trash.  I'd rather not play through those again.

You don't have an old save file?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You don't have an old save file?

Can't remember if I deleted all my old saves to clear HD space on my PS4 or not.  I might.

Does the Following take place after you finish the main story? 

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yes, but it's a separate campaign.  It will import your character from the base game, though.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yes, but it's a separate campaign.  It will import your character from the base game, though.

Does it have the option to import a "default" character if you don't have a save and want to play it anyway, like most RPGs do?

Not quite sure it does.

I actually recently bought the pc version of the enhanced edition after playing the original on the ps4 and I have to say I miss this game. Due to other stuff going on I didn't give the game the time it deserved last time around and certainly didn't think it would run well on my system but the enhanced edition runs great and I love starting over. Damn those nights are intense, but that xp boost is so sweet. :)

Yes. If you don't like modding and/or there are a few particular features/changes you want in the EEs that you can't get through modding, then O.K., it's not a terrible buy. If you can and there isn't, then I seriously recommend just sticking with the originals and just modding.

Random anecdote: I'm sure they've changed it by now, but when I first played the EE, one of the new companions came with some part of unique boots by default. I killed him and sold the boots for like 12.5k gold or somewhere thereabouts and pretty much broke the game economy immediately because of it. Good stuff, Beamdog.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have started to play Victoria 1 from Paradox, but man, I suck so much at playing it compared to other Paradox Grand Strategies. I have tried to find some tutorials, which could explain to me the basics of the game, but All which i have found are for Victoria II :-(

Is here anyone by any chance who might have some links to good and descriptive tutorials or basics? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So I might get BGEE. Are the Beamdog companions as terrible as wise people on the Internetz claim?

I haven't found them to be terrible. Nor necessarily great either. Servicible, I'd argue (but to be fair, they have moderately more detail to them than the vast majority of BG1 joinable NPCs who were basically introductory text and a random skillset in the original).  It really depends on what you want, I guess.  I'm no BG expert, having only played it a few times and to completion once.

Of the new companions, I've really only dealt with Monky Monk and Wildy Mage though, skipping Broody McBrood the Blackguard and Drowy Evil the Sorcerer.

Yes. If you don't like modding and/or there are a few particular features/changes you want in the EEs that you can't get through modding, then O.K., it's not a terrible buy. If you can and there isn't, then I seriously recommend just sticking with the originals and just modding.

Random anecdote: I'm sure they've changed it by now, but when I first played the EE, one of the new companions came with some part of unique boots by default. I killed him and sold the boots for like 12.5k gold or somewhere thereabouts and pretty much broke the game economy immediately because of it. Good stuff, Beamdog.

Should games be balanced for murder-hobo playstyle?

I ask because I'm always intrigued by the dichotomy I see in players, some insisting that everything should be balanced and prevent degenerative choices and others saying if you don't like having boots that break the economy, don't murder-hobo people to steal their boots.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Anyone got a suggestion for a good and more or less cinematic pc game that is very playable with gamepad from the couch? I've grinded MGS5 a lot again the past two weeks and now I feel like I need something else, but I have no idea what. Somehow nothing seems to fit my mood right now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

What genre of game are you looking for? I'm currently playing Styx the master of shadows, which is a stealth game (in the original sense: you're sneaking because you suck at combat) and it plays well with a controller. The level design is perfect for a stealth game, by the way.

I ask because I'm always intrigued by the dichotomy I see in players, some insisting that everything should be balanced and prevent degenerative choices and others saying if you don't like having boots that break the economy, don't murder-hobo people to steal their boots.

I actually only murdered him because I knew he was a new party member and I really didn't like that he was there. I don't normally play that way. And now that I think of it, I think the other new party member, the wild mage girl, had a staff that was worth the same amount, and you could find her even *earlier* than him (she was in Beregost, if I recall correctly, and he was in...Nashkel near Minsc? Real creative, putting them in places where you can already recruit other party members, guys...), and also, I am pretty sure you can get both of them to join your party immediately (I know you can at least the girl) so that part about being a murder-hobo-psycho is kinda irrelevant, tongue.png. In my opinion, party members that you can recruit immediately at the beginning of the game simply shouldn't generally have items that are worth a ridiculous amount of gold.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I finished Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders.  Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable point & click experience.  The game took me about 7 1/2 hours to finish, which is decent for a point & click.  While it unfortunately wasn't David Suchet voicing Poirot, I nevertheless thought that the voice acting was for the most part solid.  While the production value was far from AAA and I did encounter a couple jarring production hiccups, I thought that generally the game was well put together and it had a consistent and pleasant aesthetic.  My only real complaint is that there seemed to be no punishment for getting things wrong during the deduction segments and you could trial and error your way through them with no penalty, something I admittedly had to resort to a couple of times (most of the time I knew exactly what I was going for).  It is nice that the game lets you make a few key decisions toward the end that will produce different endings.  While I've only seen one myself, I have a pretty good idea of how a couple different endings may have played out.  Most importantly, I enjoyed my entire time with the game and when it was over I had a big smile on my face and a sense of satisfaction.  I can't really ask for more than that for my money.  Also, instead of scratching my point & click itch, this has rekindled my love of the genre and left me wanting to play another p & c soon.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Dreamfall Chapters, replayed book 1 and 2 and new stuff in book 3. Starting it off with a segment where I have to control a toddler running around with a stupid kid's voice on some pixel hunting time sink was a bad move, Ragnar.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Anyone got a suggestion for a good and more or less cinematic pc game that is very playable with gamepad from the couch? I've grinded MGS5 a lot again the past two weeks and now I feel like I need something else, but I have no idea what. Somehow nothing seems to fit my mood right now.

Tales from the Borderlands

Tales from Monkey Island

Witcher 3

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Borderlands 2

Try Tales from the Borderlands, seriously I think it was the best thing released last year

Contradiction!

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I actually only murdered him because I knew he was a new party member and I really didn't like that he was there. I don't normally play that way. And now that I think of it, I think the other new party member, the wild mage girl, had a staff that was worth the same amount, and you could find her even *earlier* than him (she was in Beregost, if I recall correctly, and he was in...Nashkel near Minsc? Real creative, putting them in places where you can already recruit other party members, guys...), and also, I am pretty sure you can get both of them to join your party immediately (I know you can at least the girl) so that part about being a murder-hobo-psycho is kinda irrelevant, tongue.png. In my opinion, party members that you can recruit immediately at the beginning of the game simply shouldn't generally have items that are worth a ridiculous amount of gold.

Doesn't matter why you murdered him, you're complaining that because you murdered someone you had a broken experience.  So the question is, if you're going to play a murder-hobo (intentionally or not) should you expect the game to be balanced towards you?

Also the companions are in bottleneck places; Dorn is at the Friendly Arms Inn (although he won't join until later when you trigger a "random" encounter traveling to Nashkel Mines.  Neera in Bergerost, Rasaad in Nashkel and Baeloth in Larswood (if you're over lvl 5).  I think other than Baeloth, they made the companions "unmissible" since they were part of the new experience - which seems fair to me.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was thinking about that new Tomb Raider game, but I am not sure if the puzzle-level is as high as in the old titles (which would annoy me, truth told) or if it features a truckton of fast jump and run elements (which would also annoy me).

Man, I feel like I turned 80% console peasant now. Only 80% because I am still playing on pc and I can't stand all the Ass Creed games.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Doesn't matter why you murdered him, you're complaining that because you murdered someone you had a broken experience. So the question is, if you're going to play a murder-hobo (intentionally or not) should you expect the game to be balanced towards you?

Also the companions are in bottleneck places; Dorn is at the Friendly Arms Inn (although he won't join until later when you trigger a "random" encounter traveling to Nashkel Mines. Neera in Bergerost, Rasaad in Nashkel and Baeloth in Larswood (if you're over lvl 5). I think other than Baeloth, they made the companions "unmissible" since they were part of the new experience - which seems fair to me.

...But as I said, it's completely irrelevant that I murdered him (or the girl). If I had merely accepted him (or her) into my party immediately (which I could've done so with literally the same amount of effort, and almost zero roleplaying consequences), it's literally the same exact problem. The only thing that actually fixes the problem is just pretending the characters don't exist (or...uh, I guess willfully ignoring that selling their items is much, MUCH more of a benefit than having them). So the whole murder-hobo thing doesn't really matter by my estimation. (Also, honestly, this entire issue regarding lack of balance is actually really only a minor issue to me: see below.)

Know what I think an even better solution than doing any that is? Don't play or purchase an "enhanced edition" that was at least partially hijacked by completely random writers for the sake of inserting their own fanfic* party members into the game. You don't usually need bloody writers for enhanced editions...and if you're going to have them, at least make the new or rewritten content fit in at least halfway with the original content, please...or at least make it optional like you did for your iPad version of the game. I wanted some of the other things present in these EEs, but clearly, it's not really worth the bother.

(edit): Oops, I forgot to explain the asterisk. *: not that there's anything wrong for people to do this for their own games...but I sure as heck don't want them, and this was actually the deciding factor for me not bothering to purchase BGII:EE.

Edited by Bartimaeus