Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

Saw Star Wars part 1 part 4 part 2 again (third time) and I must say it holds up less and less on repeated viewings much like the Abrams Trek films

As much as it is painful to admit I think Anita Sarkeesian had it right when she said that the movie is good fun in the cinema but the more you think about it afterwards, the more it falls apart. Of course she then complains about the interpersonal relationships coming too short in a science-fantasy action movie while ignoring the blatant mary-sueing of Rey but thank god, the last thing I want is having to fully agree with her, on anything. ;)

JJ at least managed to create an interersting juxtaposition here. Star Trek 2009 which is effectively too different from its base material and Star Wars VII that was so similar to the original trilogy that it essentially is a soulless remake not quite capable of standing on its own. During both films I had fun at the theatre and both films crumbled after repeated viewings and some thinking. Ah well.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

CG Muppet Voldemort and his trusty servant Kylo Ren who throws temper tantrums, slicing up equipment with his lightsaber and can't even manage to overpower two people who've never touched a lightsaber before, even though he's fast enough to deflect laser blasts and can freeze people (and laser blasts for that matter) in mid-air.

What a team!

I like Kylo Ren's character, he's a badass when he's in control but it all turns to **** under pressure.  I think the mask came off a bit too soon though, figuratively and literally.

The Razzie's full list of nominations:

Worst Picture

Fantastic Four
Fifty Shades of Grey
Jupiter Ascending
Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
Pixels

Worst Actor

Johnny Depp, Mortdecai
Jamie Dornan, Fifty Shades of Grey
Kevin James, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
Adam Sandler, The Cobbler and Pixels
Channing Tatum, Jupiter Ascending

Worst Actress

Katherine Heigl, Home Sweet Hell
Dakota Johnson, Fifty Shades of Grey
Mila Kunis, Jupiter Ascending
Jennifer Lopez, The Boy Next Door
Gwyneth Paltrow, Mortdecai

Worst Supporting Actor

Chevy Chase, Hot Tub Time Machine 2 and Vacation
Josh Gad, Pixels and The Wedding Ringer
Kevin James, Pixels
Jason Lee, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip
Eddie Redmayne, Jupiter Ascending

Worst Supporting Actress

Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip and The Wedding Ringer
Rooney Mara, Pan
Michelle Monaghan, Pixels
Julianne Moore, Seventh Son
Amanda Seyfried, Love the Coopers and Pan

Worst Remake Or Sequel

Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Road Chip
Fantastic Four
Hot Tub Time Machine 2
Human Centipede 3
Paul Blart Mall Cop 2

Worst Screen Combo

Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell, Fantastic Four
Johnny Depp and his glued-on mustache, Mortdecai
Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson, Fifty Shades of Grey
Kevin James and either his Segway or glued-on mustache, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
Adam Sandler and any pair of shoes, The Cobbler

Worst Director

Andy Fickman, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
Tom Six, Human Centipede 3
Sam Taylor-Johnson, Fifty Shades of Grey
Josh Trank, Fantastic Four
Andy and Lana Wachowski, Jupiter Ascending

Worst Screenplay

Simon Kinberg, Jeremy Slater and Josh Trank, Fantastic Four
Kelly Marcel, Fifty Shades of Grey
Andy and Lana Wachowski, Jupiter Ascending
Kevin James and Nick Bakay, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
Tim Herlihy and Timothy Dowling, Pixels

Razzie Redeemer Award

Elizabeth Banks
M. Night Shyamalan
Will Smith
Sylvester Stallone

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

To be fair, Paul Blart 2 was pretty much the same as the original, so I wouldn't vote for worst sequel.   :p

It was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, this was an entertaining moment:

90b56663902ad96a314a2a3b8559e1cb.jpg?ito

I think I like them more because I worked as a security guard in college, and the career people were pretty much all like this.  It's a fairly accurate portrayal. 

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Fantastic Four isn't really a remake or a sequel either but a new adaption of an existing property.

That said I'm not sure the Razzie categories are supposed to have strict adherence.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Assuming the movie is a somewhat faithful adaptation of the book nominating Fifty Shades of Grey for worst screenplay is a bit unfair. With that source material not even the most talented screenwriter could come up with something worthwile. I didn't see the film but next to E. L. James even Stephenie Meyer looks like the next literature nobel laureate.

And yeah. I wish I was kidding. :blink:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

we did see new star wars in a rather... retro theatre in kauai.  have had better sound and video experience at "movies in the park" venues, but it were quaint.  thought force awakens were fun, but am gonna admit some confusion and a few concerns.  am not certain why rey gets a big hug from leia-- had they ever met? am also gonna concede that we believe the director/writers worked a bit too hard to avoid making the female protagonist a damsel in distress.  admitted, if rey had been written as annoying and immature as were luke in new hope, we doubt we woulda' much liked her.  double-standard? dunno.  Gromnir were mighty young when we saw new hope, so am doubting we were too bothered that luke were immature... or that he needed be saved from sand people attacks, or tie fighters, or drunks in a bar, etc. am also gonna admit that we were curious as to what lord voldemort were doing in the star wars universe.  were an initial reaction, and possible unfair, but it were an honest and genuine reaction at seeing the villain's wizard o' oz routine. 

as an aside, we believe bioware deserves recognition.  the manner in which the kanadian game developers payed homage to the original trilogy for kotor were more artful than we saw in force awakens.  we weren't over-bothered by seeing same/similar approach utilized by jj, but bioware manipulation were not a distraction.  bio developers intentional borrowed plot devices, locales and characters from episodes 1-3 to make their star wars game, but bioware's recycling were less... crude.  sure, 'pon reflection one could see just how much kotor borrowed from the star wars films, but in the moment it did not feel like we were getting same story with a different title. we have become increasing critical o' bio in recent years, but seeing new star wars film reminded us that kotor were a clever and entertaining storytelling... even if the gameplay aspects were kinda lacking.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What bugs me about the Razzies is for worst actor/actress they usually just take the leads from their worst film nominees, even if there wasn't anything wrong with their performance.

Jupiter Ascending doesn't deserve to be on there either.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Jupiter Ascending doesn't deserve to be on there either.

is kinda unfair as we see so few new movies each year, but the first movie that came to mind when we thought o' razzie-worthy titles for 2015 were jupiter ascending.   am one o' those folks that will walk outta a bad movie.  first such film we abandoned early were firebirds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwS7MuNCwFs

we made it to queen bee exposition and then walked outta the theatre for jupiter.  am not regretting having done so.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Fantastic Four isn't really a remake or a sequel either but a new adaption of an existing property."

That's basically what a remake is. Take an exisiting property  and adapt it. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A comment someone made about a movie I believe I shall always treasure..

"I never got around to seeing most of these, but I recently watched Jupiter Ascending, and … yeah, that movie reads like a weird fanfic where Bella Swan from Twilight gets rescued by albino Shadow the Hedgehog and they fight to escape the clutches of Space Dracula and his legion of Space Dragons. Also: there are cyberpunk cosplay enthusiasts for some reason."

Me and the wife really enjoyed Jupiter Ascending. Most of the stuff that got ridiculed made perfect sense to us. I'm just a big Wachowski fan though. Only thing they've made I didnt like was Sense8

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oh I had fun with it. It was silly and had some plot issues, but it had that.. over the top, entertainment value.

I can see that argument put forth that in many ways a lot of the big blockbuster action movies are like teenage boys personal fanfics, while Jupiter Ascending comes across more as a teenage girls idea of action blockbuster fanfic.

jupiter ascending is a live action anime film.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"Fantastic Four isn't really a remake or a sequel either but a new adaption of an existing property."

That's basically what a remake is. Take an exisiting property  and adapt it. L0L

No it isn't; a remake is literally when you make something again.  An adaption is not a remake.

Gus Van Sant's PSYCHO was a remake of the original PSYCHO down to using the original script.  But if he had a new script written that re-adapted Bloch's novel it'd be a new adaption of the existing novel not a remake of the previous film. 

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That is nonsense. A remake is making something that was already made.  Fantastic Four was already made for the movies so it is a remake.

Other stuff: Haven't seen the enw SW. Likely won't espicially after I heard about the stupid spoiler on who was killed.

I did watch The Revenant. Just another role where THE BEST ACTOR EVAR will  not win a lame Oscar. he should have DOZENS by now. And, that bear attack. Good (bad) stuff.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That is nonsense. A remake is making something that was already made. Fantastic Four was already made for the movies so it is a remake.

Other stuff: Haven't seen the enw SW. Likely won't espicially after I heard about the stupid spoiler on who was killed.

I did watch The Revenant. Just another role where THE BEST ACTOR EVAR will not win a lame Oscar. he should have DOZENS by now. And, that bear attack. Good (bad) stuff.

A remake is when you use the original movie as the base for the new one, a new adaption is when you use the original source as the base for your new one. I Am Legend isn't a remake of The Omega Man, it was a new adaption of I Am Legend. F4ntastic wasn't a remake of the Tim Story FF movies, it was an adaption of the Ultimate Fantastic Four comics.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"I Am Legend isn't a remake of The Omega Man, it was a new adaption of I Am Legend"

It's a remake. Splitting hairs is just silly.

Its not splitting hairs, its using the correct terminology to refer to the correct thing correctly.

I Am Legend isn't a remake of Omega Man anymore than Omega Man was a remake of The Last Man on Earth.  All three are different adaptions of the novel (with differing levels of fidelity to the source).

Nosferatu (1922) and Dracula (1931) are both adaptions of the Bram Stoker novel (the 1931 movie via the Hamilton Deane stage play), but Dracula (1931) isn't a remake of Nosferatu.  However the Werner Herzog 1979 Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski is a remake of the 1922 Nosferatu but the 1979 Dracula with Frank Langella is a new adaption of the stage play that 1931 Dracula was an adaption of so it is neither a remake of either the 1922 and 1979 Nosferatu films or of the 1931 Dracula.

Based on your argument - that anything that adapts the same material is a remake - The Dark Knight is a remake of Batman (1989) which is a remake of Batman (1966) which is a remake of Batman (1943) despite having little in common other than the fact they're adapting the same character from other media.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

Rocky Horror Reboot

Tim Curry, the original Dr. Frank-N-Furter in both the stage and the film versions of The Rocky Horror Show, will take part in Fox's upcoming reboot of the classic Richard O'Brien musical.

Curry will play the production's Criminologist Narrator when the remake airs this fall. Orange Is the New Black Emmy nominee Laverne Cox will fill Curry's spike heels as Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Victorious leading lady Victoria Justice and Ryan McCartan (Heathers the Musical) star as Janet and Brad, alongside Reeve Carney (Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark) as Riff Raff, Staz Nair (Game of Thrones) as Rocky Horror, and Adam Lambert (American Idol) as Eddie. Additional casting will be revealed in the coming months.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show will be presented on the Fox network as a two-hour taped broadcast directed, choreographed, and executive-produced by Kenny Ortega. Additional executive producers include Lou Adler and Gail Berman. Full casting will be revealed in the coming months.

"I Am Legend isn't a remake of The Omega Man, it was a new adaption of I Am Legend"

It's a remake. Splitting hairs is just silly.

Its not splitting hairs, its using the correct terminology to refer to the correct thing correctly.

I Am Legend isn't a remake of Omega Man anymore than Omega Man was a remake of The Last Man on Earth.  All three are different adaptions of the novel (with differing levels of fidelity to the source).

Nosferatu (1922) and Dracula (1931) are both adaptions of the Bram Stoker novel (the 1931 movie via the Hamilton Deane stage play), but Dracula (1931) isn't a remake of Nosferatu.  However the Werner Herzog 1979 Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski is a remake of the 1922 Nosferatu but the 1979 Dracula with Frank Langella is a new adaption of the stage play that 1931 Dracula was an adaption of so it is neither a remake of either the 1922 and 1979 Nosferatu films or of the 1931 Dracula.

Based on your argument - that anything that adapts the same material is a remake - The Dark Knight is a remake of Batman (1989) which is a remake of Batman (1966) which is a remake of Batman (1943) despite having little in common other than the fact they're adapting the same character from other media.

not to put too fine a point on it, but what in the hell are you doing?  is a category that the razzies folks is utilizing.  am suspecting that the razzie folks would laugh themselves apoplectic if the "winners" o' one o' their awards argued with any seriousness that the reason their movie/performance did not deserve mention were 'cause o' mislabeling.  and yeah, is a category that will indeed have fuzzy gray areas 'cause it is meant to limit an artform.  is a category no doubt imagined into existence by folks whose closest brush with scientific method were listening to a bunch o' nerds discuss the plausibility o' lightsabers during their time at usc film school. and most pointless and ill-considered is that you is arguing with vol in an attempt to get him to see the validity o' the categorization in question.  find self arguing serious with vol over what is largely nonsense has happened to us once or twice and is always embarrassing.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!