RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

On the purely random, and highly unlikely chance that folks lurking around here haven't got or played it before.. Jade Empire is free on Origin at the moment.

That was actually a damn good game. I kind of wish Bio had kept with that franchise.

Please no , don't. I wouldn't want anyone currently on BioWare's staff working on the Jade Empire franchise. They've already ruined Dragon Age and did their best to ruin Mass Effect. I hope they leave JE be.

Eh, I'd rather have an average new game in the JE universe than no game at all.

Obviously I'd want the game as high quality as possible, but I'd settle for a watered down version over not being able to play any games again.  Similar to both ME and DA.  Sure, there were a lot of issues I had with both ME and DA.  However, I'd take those games over never getting a new game in the series.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It's not like Jade Empire was a perfect game - the story wasn't that good, combat was too easy and simplistic, but it did have great music, nice setting and fun characters/voice acting. A new game, with better mechanics, would be interesting. 

Jade Empire is one of my favorite games of all time. I loved the combat, except for that the challenge went away quickly as you acquired play skill. I think the problem was that it was a new way of doing things for Bioware (ARPG), and they needed input from a fighting game AI designer. If they had hired someone, even part time, whom had worked on Tekken or Street Fighter, the combat would have no doubt been much more challenging.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Loved Jade Empire, would love another game in the setting.

Would recommend ditching the rock-paper-scissors approach to combat styles though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

All i remember from Jade Empire is incest threesome ending, John Cleese, snake style kung fu, annoying gay guy called Sky and that the character i played had some nifty tattoos. I think i also used some mode than reintroduced some leopard style or something. And the old mentor "dying" and then is revealed to be the ultimate bad guy or something.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

All i remember from Jade Empire is incest threesome ending, John Cleese, snake style kung fu, annoying gay guy called Sky and that the character i played had some nifty tattoos. I think i also used some mode than reintroduced some leopard style or something. And the old mentor "dying" and then is revealed to be the ultimate bad guy or something.

I think you may have a Baldur's Gate 2 mod and Jade Empire confused. There was no incest in JE.

I think you may have a Baldur's Gate 2 mod and Jade Empire confused. There was no incest in JE.

I think he's referring to the fact that Dawn Star (Daughter of Sun Li) and Sun Lian/Silk Fox (daughter of Sun Hai) are 1st Cousins.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jade Empire is one of my favorite games of all time. I loved the combat, except for that the challenge went away quickly as you acquired play skill. I think the problem was that it was a new way of doing things for Bioware (ARPG), and they needed input from a fighting game AI designer. If they had hired someone, even part time, whom had worked on Tekken or Street Fighter, the combat would have no doubt been much more challenging.

I liked the idea of the combat, but yeah, it's like they didn't take into account that none of the styles were deep and it became easy far too quickly, as you said. Also agree that it was a transition stage for Bioware in the way of combat and with the sentiment that RPG companies could make good with hiring outside talent for better combat, but you know that'd bring out the angry RPG nerds who hate change. I liked what they did with the ME series. A new JE with bigger maps and polished, challenging combat would be great, but I don't see it happening. The setting is just too different for most people - not enough post apocalyptic dust nor medieval fantasy staff jousting.

I have to admit I couldn't get into JE for the most superficial of reasons, the text on the UI and particularly the buttons were all stretched out and ugly. Granted it was probably a decade after the game released and likely was mostly because of widescreen stretching, but yeah, early 3D games didn't age well. Looked kind of like Mount & Blade's weird stretchy textures actually.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I liked the idea of the combat, but yeah, it's like they didn't take into account that none of the styles were deep and it became easy far too quickly, as you said. Also agree that it was a transition stage for Bioware in the way of combat and with the sentiment that RPG companies could make good with hiring outside talent for better combat, but you know that'd bring out the angry RPG nerds who hate change. I liked what they did with the ME series. A new JE with bigger maps and polished, challenging combat would be great, but I don't see it happening. The setting is just too different for most people - not enough post apocalyptic dust nor medieval fantasy staff jousting.

I seem to remember that I used those basic styles in combination by linking combos, switching quickly from one to the other. Other times I would just spam paralyzing palm with chi activated and used spirit thief after I was out.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The goal sounds quite hefty for a crowdfunded game, and is the Fig as a platform even all that known to the public yet (by comparison to Kickstarter). But then, I might be a bit too used to only seeing projects ask humbly around 1M and being apologetic for how much that is already.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Psychonauts 2 is on Fig now.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

After the Broken Age and Spacebase DF-9 fiascoes, I wouldn't give Schafer & Co. any money up front even at gunpoint.  On the other hand, Psychonauts was the best 3D platformer ever made IMHO, so I'll be interested in the finished product, provided they can manage their money this time and said finished product lives up to its legacy.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The goal sounds quite hefty for a crowdfunded game, and is the Fig as a platform even all that known to the public yet (by comparison to Kickstarter). But then, I might be a bit too used to only seeing projects ask humbly around 1M and being apologetic for how much that is already.

Well, Schafer is making it so I'm sure they will be needing every penny, and even then it's going to be year late with only half the stuff they promised.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Wouldn't touch with a bargepole i'm afraid, Mr Schafer's name being the major disincentive.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Dorito Pope Says Kojima Was Banned From The Game Awards By Konami

I didn't watch The Game Awards because it's an awards show and I'd rather smash my big toe with a 12 lb sledgehammer than watch an award show, but apparently Kojima was supposed to attend and Konami's lawyers nixed it.  At this point, I'm starting to worry that Kojima's body is buried under the floorboards of Konami HQ and they're just coming up with excuses as to why he can't be seen in public.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dorito Pope Says Kojima Was Banned From The Game Awards By Konami

I didn't watch The Game Awards because it's an awards show and I'd rather smash my big toe with a 12 lb sledgehammer than watch an award show, but apparently Kojima was supposed to attend and Konami's lawyers nixed it. At this point, I'm starting to worry that Kojima's body is buried under the floorboards of Konami HQ and they're just coming up with excuses as to why he can't be seen in public.

Garbage move by Konami.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle