Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Blarghagh

Well at least we know their names.

DlTIV3z.jpg

Starpocalypse Now

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now I want to hear just how John Williams would do Ride of the Valkyries...

I just have to stop hearing "Kill the Wabbit! Kill the Waaaabit!"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

With every new piece of footage revealed, an earlier leak looks more and more accurate.

So, if you care about spoilers, be careful.

To note though: the earlier leak did not reveal everything. But what it specifically hid might still be considered a spoiler by some.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i heard that the latest disney blu ray release, contains the original theatrical version of the original trilogy without any of the editing done to it later (along with the edited version for who watns it)

If this were true, it would be trending number-one across nerd-world media.  ;(

Disney owns Star Wars, but 20th Century Fox owns the right to distribute the original movie--for a length of time described as, 'in perpetuity'. 

Hopefully rumors of the project are true, but Fox would have to pay for a digital frame-by-frame remaster using privately-owned laserdiscs and film reels.  

All Stop. On Screen.

not to be a bucket o' cold water, but am suspecting that the phantom menace trailer gave you (and many others) chills.

we like the trailers, but as soon as we recollect that jj abrams is directing and gets writing credit... well, we prepare for plot holes big enough to swallow a death star, and a nonsensical ending that makes us long for superman (1978).  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Two things reduce my Abrams-anxiety: Larry Kasdan co-writing, and Harrison Ford's comment saying his return to Star Wars, "should have been ridiculous, but wasn't ... [the movie] has the right director."

Larry wrote Empire and Jedi, and Harrison is notoriously unenthusiastic for Star Wars. 

All Stop. On Screen.

not to be a bucket o' cold water, but am suspecting that the phantom menace trailer gave you (and many others) chills.

we like the trailers, but as soon as we recollect that jj abrams is directing and gets writing credit... well, we prepare for plot holes big enough to swallow a death star, and a nonsensical ending that makes us long for superman (1978).  

HA! Good Fun!

Let Gromnir be Gromnir. Never change your curmudgeonly black heart.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

we wouldn't trust harrison ford regarding quality o' scripts (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000148/) particularly o' a project he is starring in and has monetary reasons to hope for its success.  

kasdan also ain't exactly a can't miss writer... and keep in mind that the script itself were re-tooled by kasdan and abrams after arndt left the project.

*shrug*

am not a fan o' abrams.  have not been a fan o' a star wars movie since empire.  truth to tell, the only star wars storytelling we has genuine enjoyed this century were kotor, kotor2 (til the end) and star wars: clone wars (2003).  our anticipation is guarded.

typically, director and actors are what draw us to a project.  writing credits is so misleading nowadays.  for chrissakes, damon and affleck got an academy award and their script apparent included gun battles and car chases before william goldman came onto the good will hunting project as an uncredited consultant.  

actors and directors. a collection o' relative unknowns and a director we don't like.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Harrison Ford don't publicly criticize movies that he acts in, as he see that it is his obligation as an actor to support the films that he is in. So if Ford doesn't like the movie you probably will not hear about it from him.

• Like 1

we wouldn't trust harrison ford regarding quality o' scripts (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000148/) particularly o' a project he is starring in and has monetary reasons to hope for its success.  

kasdan also ain't exactly a can't miss writer... and keep in mind that the script itself were re-tooled by kasdan and abrams after arndt left the project.

*shrug*

am not a fan o' abrams.  have not been a fan o' a star wars movie since empire.  truth to tell, the only star wars storytelling we has genuine enjoyed this century were kotor, kotor2 (til the end) and star wars: clone wars (2003).  our anticipation is guarded.

typically, director and actors are what draw us to a project.  writing credits is so misleading nowadays.  for chrissakes, damon and affleck got an academy award and their script apparent included gun battles and car chases before william goldman came onto the good will hunting project as an uncredited consultant.  

actors and directors. a collection o' relative unknowns and a director we don't like.  

HA! Good Fun!

Let me see if I can do impressions.

Relatively unknown actors and directors is what made the original movies great ... claiming you don't like them is bad strawman, Strawnir, you're flailing again, like a teenager. You can't trust Harrison because he's a stoner, but he is an honest stoner, and when he says the project that made his career is in good hands, you better listen. Or keep flailing, no one can understand you anyway.  

All Stop. On Screen.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Let me see if I can do impressions.

Relatively unknown actors and directors is what made the original movies great ... claiming you don't like them is bad strawman, Strawnir, you're flailing again, like a teenager. You can't trust Harrison because he's a stoner, but he is an honest stoner, and when he says the project that made his career is in good hands, you better listen. Or keep flailing, no one can understand you anyway.  

*chuckle*

that being said, the original film were indeed mostly a collection o' unknowns... with a few notable exceptions.  gonna observe that peter cushing and alec guiness were hardly unknowns.  regardless, am not certain if unknowns is what made new hope great, but Gromnir were kinda young at the time, so our knowledge o' directors and casting choices were limited.  our favorite director in 1977?  had only been to the movies 2 time previous... though we did like rocky very much. even so, is unlikely that we aware o' Lucas' (or harrison ford's) work on american graffiti

am pretty sure that whatever anticipation we had 'bout the first star wars were limited to having seen kids with star wars t-shirts and lunchboxes.  we rare went to school, but as we didn't own a tv, is difficult to come up with reasons for a young Gromnir to buy into star wars hype. am doubting we had more anticipation 'bout the original star wars than we does 'bout the current 2015 offering.

HA! Good Fun!

bwahahaha 'Strawnir' That was laugh out loud funny. I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss watching the new Star Wars film in the theater. For me, it was Jar Jar Binx. Ruined the franchise for me. I'll wait for it to come to bluray and then rent it.

...But, just to slap a target on my back, I don't like either Star Trek or Star Wars. Star Wars was great sci-fantasy, fun without being too serious or complicated. Perfect for my... eight? nine year old mind when it came out? Then the prequel decided to explain The Force which immediately turned it into The Farce. The best thing about the prequels was the job McGregor did as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Star Trek is commie utopian fluff. There's no other way to put it. Luckily, while the premise is laughable, the writers have *never* taken the commie leanings seriously and write stories that more or less revolve around people who clearly don't live in the utopian society that is technically the back-drop for the Star Trek universe.

Okay, so I'm a moderator, but I know how folks feel about Star Trek and Star Wars and insulting them is fightin' words. So, I promise I won't be angry or put anyone on moderated status for going after me. Just keep profanity to a minimum (well... none really) and it's all good. :Cant's equable grin icon:

...And, just as a disclaimer, I actually do enjoy some Star Wars and Star Trek stuff every now and then. I just don't take them seriously enough to earn my techno nerd chops.

EDIT: lol my wife read what I posted and now she's actually angry with me.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

bwahahaha 'Strawnir' That was laugh out loud funny. I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss watching the new Star Wars film in the theater. For me, it was Jar Jar Binx. Ruined the franchise for me. I'll wait for it to come to bluray and then rent it.

I don't own it, the term originated elsewhere, from a man with no luck or especially sense. 

I don't mind you don't enjoy SW or ST ... my cup overfloweth for both.  ;)

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Manifested, which one are you? :lol:

12247070_10153772928714752_6644307974128

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I forgot what the different colored shoulder pads represent. They signify rank or command, right? If so, that squad looks a bit top heavy.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Does that mean there's only one enlisted? haha Maybe it's the O-club and that one enlisted guy is the busboy. But hey, they got deathstar.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

am embarrassed that we checked.  answer is not simple no doubt because different artists added for visual kewlness w/o considering setting integrity. there is... conflict.

the pauldrons that is sandtrooper-specific denote rank/role.  black for privates. white = sergeant. orange is squad leader.  however, there is also field trooper and imperial marine pauldrons that share and add colors but with different significance.

we feel dirty.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

While we had that wander on how the prequel novelisations worked so much better than the film earlier..  Apparently Tor has been doing a re-read and editorial on them in advance of the new movies.

Real Talk: You Should Just Ignore the Star Wars Prequels and Read the Episode III Novelization

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."