What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

The Night Manager is pretty good, so it's probably worth it having a second plug. Though I find Hugh Laurie a little disconcerting in drama as I'll always associate him with Prince/ Lt George, Bertie Wooster, Bit of Fry and Laurie etc.

• Like 1

It is based on 3 (?) well known comic story lines, so there's definite precedent from the source material- and if they used it to reset Arrow I'd be fine with it. Sadly, I suspect the other shows that could actually use it won't be effected nearly as much except for the big crossover event.

It needed a reset because every single payoff in that finale was completely unsatisfactory.

I thought it was OK. Flash always relies too much on deus ex speedforce resolutions and regularly doesn't make much sense so I expected both to be ratcheted up in the finale. At least the characters are well written, entertaining and consistently so even if the science and plotting is hand wavey and it's referential to the extent that it approaches being masturbatory.

I'll certainly watch next year. OTOH, the Arrow finale may well be the last ep of that I ever watch.

• Like 1

Funny: on reddit, they've said the last few The Flash episodes have been so incredibly awful, that the subreddit specifically dedicated to The Flash has been changed to a Daredevil-specific subreddit. :D

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

^^^That's Arrow, not Flash. Flash has its problems but people are generally positive about it still, about the only people positive about Arrow are drama queens and shippers. It's crap, rubbish, a steaming gob of sputum on the footpath of fiction; a fitting companion to such recent and glorious televisual masterpieces as Dexter Season 8 or the later seasons of Sons of Anarchy; bereft of logic, sense, charm or purpose it merely exists to troll the people who liked the earlier seasons by gross parody of what it once was.

Edited by Zoraptor

Whoops! Yeah, you can tell I'm a great follower of these shows by the fact that I couldn't remember the difference between the two... :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Whoops! Yeah, you can tell I'm a great follower of these shows by the fact that I couldn't remember the difference between the two... :p

Flash wears red, Arrow wears green.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Flash goes fast, Arrow shoots arrows.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Why don't they call him Green Arrow?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I pretty much think that was it.  Green Arrow was seen as too "comic booky" and "not cool".

Mind you they also didn't have the problem DC had in the comics.  When "Green Arrow" debuted in More Fun Comics in November 1941, he had already been beat to the archer gimmick by "The Arrow" (Centaur Comics, Sept 1938) and "Golden Arrow" (Fawcett, Feb 1940). 

He was also beat by Quality Comics' archer strip, but they wisely opted out of the Color + Arrow naming convention, instead debuting 'Alias The Spider" in May 1940.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Flash goes fast, Arrow shoots arrows.

One of the big complaints about Arrow is that he doesn't shoot arrows much any more. He's far more about getting into (badly choreographed) CQC with mooks which he then loses, requiring him to be rescued by Felicity. Or as in the finale, getting into a WWE/ Rocky V-esque let's just stand still and punch each other repeatedly fight.

For that matter, while he is officially the 'Green' Arrow rather than just the Arrow now, despite them not changing the program name, he doesn't actually wear green. For some unknown reason he wears dark grey/ black. They then, inconsistently, add CGI green colour to it in post production! And that pretty much sums up how ill planned and badly implemented the entire season was.

Why don't they call him Green Arrow?

They do now. As Zoraptor said they call him Green Arrow, but the show is still called Arrow. The first three seasons were the origin story before he officially becomes 'Green Arrow' in Season 4. Although, we still have one more season of flashbacks when he was gone for 5 years.

Hm, and Limitless has now officially been cancelled.

As it stands, this cancellation makes Limitless the highest-rated series to be cancelled, earning 2.2 in the 18-49 demographic with a total viewership of 9.8 million.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just watched the first two episodes of a show called "Powers" about superheroes with a twist, the protagonist is a superhuman with his powers stripped from him and now working as a policeman monitoring the other superhumans. Its quite good so far, has a very good cast, and features none of the usual squeeing and predictability that has become endemic in television.

For once I was not able to tell what would happen from scene to scene, and the protagonist (who I think is the chap from district 9) is pleasingly grim and conflicted. The theme of loss and a new broader perspective arising from that reminds me somewhat of the Exile in TSL.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hm, and on Arrow and DC related... 

Willa Holland at the London ComicCon did give this:

“We were about season two when they started telling us we had to start basically killing off the Suicide Squad that we were starting to build on our own,” Holland recalled. “We were actually trying to build that on our own on the show, and I guess once DC found out they were going to be doing their own movie of it, we had to ax all of the characters before we even got to show them, which was a little annoying at first.”

“Then when Stephen found out there was going to be a Justice League it only seemed — rightly so — he would be playing Green Arrow on it as well as that Grant [Gustin] would be playing the Flash,” she continued. “It seemed like the right normal answer, and — once they said no — you can’t really fight against them for it, because they are the people that gave us a job in the first place. So you just have to sit there on your hands, like okay, I get it!”

“Marvel does it in their own weird right, kind of mash between ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ and the movies and stuff. So it’s a little upsetting because you know it is possible and it can be done and how good it would be if it was done,” she added.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, WB needs to stop meddling in the TV side for some midguided idea that it will negatively affect the movies. Let them do what they want.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg