What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

Daredevil s2 looks amazing. Only beef with the costumes is the lack of Elektra's bandana.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Liked the return of SHIELD too. Exciting episode all around, I thought.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That daredevil helmet still looks terrible, but other than that I am super excited.

I don't know if its the better viewing angle, but it seems like it looks better than last season

Devastatorsig.jpg

Catching up on The Night Manager.

A nice 6 episode adaption of Le Carre's story, with Tom Hiddleston as the former Army man turned Hotel Night Manager who encounters Hugh Laurie's charismatic Arms Dealer, and ends up going undercover and forming a bromance in an attempt to bring him down.

Typical Le Carre style of slow and involved pacing, establishing characters, no flashy Bond stuff, just a lot of tension and lies. Great supporting cast, and some beautiful locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ZcaKdvML8

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Finally managed to tear myself away from Babylon 5 (it's a little too enthralling) and catch another show, the Shannara Chronicles. Overall I found the first couple of episodes tolerable, however there are a host of problems to a reader of the books, and the changes made in my opinion really hurt the pacing and characters of the show.

I can understand that they could not find an actor to match Allanon's stature, he is after all over seven feet tall, and the actor portraying him does a very good job in terms of the requisite intensity. However I see no reason for his sword, other than style, he has Druid fire in the books and the staff that the Elcryss grants him. His style of dress is also off, the usual fantasy style of biker/bdsm leathers, when Allanon always swathed himself in simple black robes, cloaked and hooded, more intimidating and archetypal in my opinion.

The really egregious changes are to the pacing and plot however, the journey from Storlock to the Westlands is a vey good introduction to the two main characters, they have a chance to bond, to get to know each other and let us know them. Wil's cleverness in dealing with the Rovers is demonstrated, his ability is shown and the mystery and character of Amberle are hinted at as well, though her arc is far more gradual. Compared to the books the pacing is clumsy, switching back and forth relentlessly and the characters are changed for the worse, being far too fleshed out or introduced too early.

We miss out on the cameo of the King of the Silver River, a classic component of the novels, and Artaq Allanon's huge black stallion is omitted entirely, which further destabilises the plot. The Rovers are now depicted as villains and thugs whereas they were simply an independent and necessarily ruthless group of people in the novels, whom Wil even admires a little. The less said about the massively changed and simplified Paranor the better. Also the Dagda Mor is not a Druid, this is an utterly pointless change, and it makes no sense for him to be held in the Forbidding with creatures that were exiled millenia before the new (or the old) world formed.

In summation it is the usual problem, too much flash and fashion, too little substance.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I found the travelling between places in the Shannara Chronicles to be too fast. It didn't seem like an epic journey they were on. They set off to go somewhere, and 15 minutes later, they're there. The worse case of this for me was when they were coming back from Safe Hold and they were at the Ellcrys in no time and felt like they did it in a few hours of travelling, when I imagine it would have taken them weeks.

• Like 1

Yes Wil and Amberle travelling to Safehold in the Wilderrun takes up the last two thirds of the book, it's incredibly messed up for no logical reason that I can see.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I missed last season of Vikings because we rearranged our cable to save money and lost History. They changed the channel pack setup and I was able to get it again just in time for a marathon of last season before the new season started. Damn its a good show. I hope if its popularity keeps up it continues beyond Ragnar's death into the Great Pagan Army and his sons going on to found the  major norse kingdoms, as they are doing a good job of making Bjorn an interesting character and have started giving Ubbe and Ivar some more screen time.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

I missed last season of Vikings because we rearranged our cable to save money and lost History. They changed the channel pack setup and I was able to get it again just in time for a marathon of last season before the new season started. Damn its a good show. I hope if its popularity keeps up it continues beyond Ragnar's death into the Great Pagan Army and his sons going on to found the  major norse kingdoms, as they are doing a good job of making Bjorn an interesting character and have started giving Ubbe and Ivar some more screen time.

I loooooooooove Vikings, it must be one of my favorite series of all time

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The chinese character irks me a bit this season though. Why would slavers capture her off the coast of china, then go all the way to france to sell her? At that point thats like a 2 year journey.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ian McShane has just given Game of Thrones a new tagline.

"You say the slightest thing and the internet goes ape. I was accused of giving the plot away, but I just think get a f—-ing life. It’s only **** and dragons."

Ian McShane upsets Game of Thrones fans

I’d like to ceremoniously welcome Ian McShane to the DGAF Club—for actors who are going to say exactly what’s on their minds, even if fans, producers or suits don’t appreciate it. He can join Daniel Craig and Robert Pattinson in the British chapter of the club.

Spoilers ahead.

Speaking with The Telegraph, Ian McShane responded to the fan frenzy after he revealed in interviews that his newly-introduced character brings a fan-favorite character back from the dead. And McShane basically not only doesn’t care about spoilers, he doesn’t get why Game of Thrones is such a big deal:

You say the slightest thing and the internet goes ape. I was accused of giving the plot away, but I just think get a f—-ing life. It’s only **** and dragons.

I think we have a new tagline! Game of Thrones: It’s only **** and dragons

Honestly, McShane’s casual approach to spoilers is so refreshing, when most people on projects as hyped as Game of Thrones are consistently terrified to let something slip and meet the wrath of the producers/writers/PR flacks . McShane filmed his part, and does not understand how giving the plot away ruins the show. This is a man out of ****s to give.

McShane didn’t stop there, adding that he agreed to appear in a single episode, so he was pretty sure his character died:

They asked me if I wanted to do Game of Thrones and I said, ‘Sure, I’ll be able to see my old pals Charlie Dance and Stephen Dillane’ and they said, ‘No, we’ve killed them off.’ I wasn’t sure whether I could commit, but then they said it would only be for one episode, so I said, ‘So that means I must die at the end of it. Great, I’m in.’

McShane’s initial reason for doing the show was pretty much “I get to see my friends!” When he found out they were already dead, he was happy to do a single episode. And happy to (probably) die at the end of it.

• Like 1

So this ort of confirms that the "Gravedigger" is really Sandor Clegane. "Speculated" (read: known, as much as R + L = J) on that for 11 years now. *sigh*

Wake me up when a real spoiler happens. /booksnob :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Wide-eyed, cried a little, Supergirl. Chuckled, laughed out loud, Lucifer. Bored to tears with manufactured micro-drama, Blindspot. Which bothers me twice as much, Jaimie Alexander is my go-to gal. I mean she's great, the show around her, not. There's still like 15 minutes left and I don't even care. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Supergirl was REALLY good tonight. Probably the best  (at worst top 3) episode oif this series. And, see,  not a single SJW nonsensical bullcrap agenda pushing  statement seen. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Supergirl was REALLY good tonight. Probably the best  (at worst top 3) episode oif this series. And, see,  not a single SJW nonsensical bullcrap agenda pushing  statement seen. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

I'll be honest I love superhero comics, I grew up on reading Legion of Super Heroes and Justice League but the only series I have  ever watched is Daredevil and I enjoyed it

So I have never watched Flash, Arrow or Supergirl or any other series. What would people say are there favorites and what would you recommend...compared to Daredevil

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll be honest I love superhero comics, I grew up on reading Legion of Super Heroes and Justice League but the only series I have  ever watched is Daredevil and I enjoyed it

So I have never watched Flash, Arrow or Supergirl or any other series. What would people say are there favorites and what would you recommend...compared to Daredevil

Flash is really good, its much more fun, less serious than Daredevil. It was a spinoff of Arrow. Arrow was DC trying to do a Dark Knight version of Green Arrow. First half of season one was kinda bland, but it picked up, and the quality went up a lot when they started adding more outlandish comic-booky stuff. Thats when they decided to do the Flash show, which has all the outlandish villains and fun stuff. Legends of Tomorrow isn't quite living up to its potential, but is still good. It struggles because it can't decide if it wants to be a serialized show or an episodic one, the premise is ideal for a serialised show, as they have a clear goal, a singular villain, etc. but the stories about them going about trying to stop the villain are more or less unrelated from week to week. Supergirl is another Greg Berlanti show (he does all the CW DC stuff), so it has a similar tone to Flash, but black underwear model Jimmy Olsen just pisses me off.

Going the Marvel Cinematic Universe route, Jessica Jones is really good. Its the other Netflix series. Just as serious, if not more, but more brightly lit. Its less of an action show and more of a psychological thriller/noir tale. Agents of SHIELD took off and has pretty much maintained its quality after the second half of season 1. All 3 of these take place in the same universe as the movies, Agents of SHIELD being the one tied most closely to the movies (Sif, Nick Fury, and Maria Hill have all made cameos). Agent Carter is fun, takes place in the post-war period with the SSR becoming some sort of FBI for mad science. Peggy Carter (Cap's love interest from the first movie) teams up with Howard Stark's butler Edwin Jarvis and does spy stuff. Its much more of a comedy than Agents of SHIELD.

Overall I would say Flash is the best of the network TV series, followed by Agents of SHIELD. Jessica Jones is a must if you liked Daredevil.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

LLL!

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For those who might not have caught it yet...

Sherlock - Casts Tom Hiddleston as third Holmes brother

"Sherlock" fans were already excited to hear that the beloved character is returning for more sleuthing. Sherlock, which is played by Benedict Cumberbatch, will be gunning for the fourth season but latest "Sherlock" news reveal that season 4 is bringing in Tom Hiddleston, too!

Is Tom Hiddleston going to put his accent to good use? Fans are hoping. As reported by Parent Herald, Hiddleston could be coming in as the third Holmes brother, Sherrinford. Fans have long been hoping for the third brother to reveal himself and co-creators Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have been hiding this bait from the world but it is not yet confirmed if Hiddleston will become a Holmes just yet.

Do you see the brotherly resemblance between Cumberbatch and Hiddleston?

In the same article, Gatiss mentioned that he was unsure about getting Hiddleston for the part because the actor has been busy with other movie commitments . Ultimately he was confident that Hiddleston would be able to pull it off since Cumberbatch too was busy with "Doctor Strange." "The Avengers" villain recently went bare in "The Night Manager, according to Daily Mail. And IGN has it that he's keen to play the next James Bond. He certainly has the appeal and charisma to be a Holmes brother or a James Bond.

Gatiss and Moffat have also announced that Mary, played by Amanda Abbington, will return. As well as Dr. Watson, played by Martin Freeman and Unna Stubbs as Mrs. Hudson.

It is not yet known what the plot of "Sherlock" season 4 will be but Gatiss teased that there will be a tragedy. "This is a major, life-changing series for the regulars," says Gatiss.

BBC and PBS has already slated "Sherlock" season 4 for January 2017. While there's about 9 months left until the premiere of the fourth season, relive "The Abominable Bride" with some post-mortem discussion below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0lK2_7uak&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1