Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All the Literature and Reading Stuff...

Reading Literature Fiction Non-Fiction

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6920 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Malc I need to ask you  that same question because you are honest and observant about certain forum behavioral trends 

Have you noticed I'm less condescending than when I was  first was active on these forums , now before you say " no you same  "  like last time please take your time and think about how I use to be ?

Out of the blue, but, never would describe you as condescending in the past. I mean, considering the crowd of people here, you're not condescending.
  • BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Malc I need to ask you  that same question because you are honest and observant about certain forum behavioral trends 

Have you noticed I'm less condescending than when I was  first was active on these forums , now before you say " no you same  "  like last time please take your time and think about how I use to be ?

Out of the blue, but, never would describe you as condescending in the past. I mean, considering the crowd of people here, you're not condescending.

Thats interesting, I always assumed you thought I was condescending from that time 2133 called me " thoroughly revoltingly condescending "  and the reality is most of  my family are very condescending. They think they being clever but we cant tell the difference so I try really hard to not be condescending but its hard because as I said sometimes on forums I cant tell the difference   

In your view of the Internet and general debates do you think these forums are condescending? Its funny I cant read people on the Internet..so I have no idea if my view is biased. One thing about these forums is NO one likes admitting they wrong about anything

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

One thing about these forums is NO one likes admitting they wrong about anything

What? Raise a white flag and surrender? NEVER.

I may be wrong, but dammit I will stay with this (sinking) ship!

I also used to get my Garfields through the Scholastic book orders at school. Do they still do that?
  • ShadySands and BruceVC like this

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2307 posts

giphy.gif

I want out of this universe

LET ME OUT

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 14 March 2016 - 12:08 PM.

• Malcador likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8553 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

I also used to get my Garfields through the Scholastic book orders at school. Do they still do that?

They sure do.  It does bring in a tidy sum to help with classroom materials though.  

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

giphy.gif

I want out of this universe

LET ME OUT

:lol:

Well I would think I'm much less condescending but its impossible to really know because its very hard to know when I''m being condescending unless people point it out...which I ask people to do yet only some people do :)

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2351 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Hey, glad I'm not the only one who liked Garfield as a kid. I think they're gateway comics - you get a few simple running gags quickly and start to understand how comics work as sequential art.
  • Guard Dog likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5282 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The Far Side was my comic of choice.
  • Leferd and Guard Dog like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Far Side was my comic of choice.

Elitist snob.
  • Gfted1 likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2351 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
The Far Side was never translated into my language and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten most of the jokes at the time I was into Garfield. I'm talking 6-8 here.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'd put The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, and Peanuts in my holy trinity of comic strips as I grew into my teenage years. But Garfield was tops, pre-adolescence.
  • TrueNeutral and Guard Dog like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts

I've recently finished a deep novel and two books about politics. Now it's time for something lighter. Now reading Bottom of the 33rd: Hope and Redemption in Baseball's Longest Game. In 1981 the Rochester Red Wings and the Pawtucket Red Sox of the International League played a 33 inning game. I always knew about it but the back story is fascinating. 

I never thought of you as an avid  reader ....living out in the wilderness, having no creature comforts like electricity and paying homage to primordial earth spirits  :biggrin:

Do people generalize about people like you and assume you are what I suppose is a redneck, do they assume you are not informed of current events for example? It must be fun taking them apart with your impressive knowledge of many things  :biggrin:

I am always either reading a book (or two) or looking for my next one. I have well over 1000 on my shelves here and about 150 or so on my Kindle. All kinds. From Wheel of Time to War to Peace and de Tocqueville's Democracy in America to the one I just mentioned in the Election thread. I even have a few rare collectibles in the mix. I'm an educated man Bruce. I drive a pick up truck, and I live in a house way out in the sticks. I'm adept at firearms and farming that's true but I can also speak in complete sentences most of the time. I'd hope I make the correct impression on people I meet.

Yes, did I not say you are very well informed. I hope I didn't offend you ?

:lol:  Trust me, you didn't.

• BruceVC likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts

I'd put The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, and Peanuts in my holy trinity of comic strips as I grew into my teenage years. But Garfield was tops, pre-adolescence.

Me too only swap Peanuts for Bloom County. I was happy to see that making a comeback by the way.

• Leferd likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts

Oh man, I would spend all my lawnmowing money on a new Garfield book every year when the school book drive came around. I had plush toys of Garfield, Odie, and Nermal. I'm weird.  

:lol:  Not even a little bit!

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I spent my paper route money on Green Lantern, and read how my favorite superhero watched his home city get blown to smithereens (population 6 million), lose his marbles and one by one kill off a number of his fellow Green Lanterns and take their power rings, drain the central power battery and the life force of the Guardians of the Universe, and this destroying the Green Lantern Corps. Then he literally ended the universe so he could make everything right again; only he got shot in the chest by an arrow from his best friend.

I hate superhero comics.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts

I've recently finished a deep novel and two books about politics. Now it's time for something lighter. Now reading Bottom of the 33rd: Hope and Redemption in Baseball's Longest Game. In 1981 the Rochester Red Wings and the Pawtucket Red Sox of the International League played a 33 inning game. I always knew about it but the back story is fascinating. 

If I recall correctly, wasn't Wade Boggs a participant?

Wade Boggs played 3rd base for the Red Sox, Cal Ripken played third for the Red Wings. Boggs went 4-12 that night with a double. There were a few others that got to the majors but those are the two biggest names that played that night. You should check this book out. It's really interesting. 

• Leferd likes this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If I recall correctly, wasn't Wade Boggs a participant?
Wade Boggs played 3rd base for the Red Sox, Cal Ripken played third for the Red Wings. Boggs went 4-12 that night with a double. There were a few others that got to the majors but those are the two biggest names that played that night. You should check this book out. It's really interesting.

I actually read a children's pocketbook biography of Wade Boggs (still in mid career) in elementary school. I remember that he played in that game, but I guess they neglected to mention Ripken.

Thanks for the rec.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts

Keeping in the baseball theme I'm now reading Slouching towards Fargo by Neal Karlan. Also reading George Washington: The Crossing by Jack E. Levin. It's about Washington's victory at Trenton. Watching the show Turn has rekindled my interest in the American revolution. 

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6920 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Finished off Peripheral. Ending is a bit..too cheery. Didn't really mesh with the rather weary dystopic settings in both worlds, either the usual grimdark future US society or the even more grimadrk post apocalyptic future. Though I suppose thinking on it, it's a bit depressing as the former setting is supposed to be ours maybe 20 years ahead and there's no deus ex machina for us ? :p

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3229 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Heh. I missed seeing this on April Fools.

Ring of Fire Series “All a Dream”
New York Times Bestselling Author of 1632 and creator of the legendary Ring of Fire series reveals magnum opus to be the coma dream of Grantville citizen Mike Stearns

March 24, 2016—Wake Forest, NC: After more than fifteen years and twenty novels, author Eric Flint confessed, in a phone conversation with Baen staff early this morning, that his ongoing and much-beloved series is all “an elaborate fiction, and not in the sense that I made it up and wrote it down.”

“None of it’s actually happening,” said Mr. Flint, speaking from his Indiana home. “Really, I thought after all these years someone would have caught on.” Mr. Flint went on to explain how everything that happens in the series is part of an elaborate dream experienced by protagonist Mike Stearns. “There was an accident—a mining accident—and Mike’s been in a coma for several years now. That’s how a union organizer finds himself in control of all these people. It’s wish-fulfillment at its finest.” This evinced a sensible chuckle, Mr. Flint was a labor union organizer himself for many years.

Fans needn’t worry, however. When asked if he planned to continue writing the series now that the cat was out of the bag, Mr. Flint responded enthusiastically, “Of course! But this changes everything, doesn’t it? Now that we know it’s a dream, you can expect the people of Grantville to turn up in the seventh century, hell, maybe even the thirty-seventh century.”

Mr. Flint’s next novel, tentatively titled 1066 And All That, will be released in 2017 with co-authors William the Conqueror and Harold Godwinson

Edited by Raithe, 19 April 2016 - 08:35 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reading, Literature, Fiction, Non-Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users