Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All the Literature and Reading Stuff...

Reading Literature Fiction Non-Fiction

• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

LittleRose

LittleRose

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts

I've just realised, I've been so busy discovering other genres during the past years that I've let my favorite down. I've fallen behind on reading high fantasy! How could I? That's never happened before. I couldn't recommend anybody a newer series to save my life.

5 books to go before I may start a new series. Excuse me. I really need to get some reading time today. No surprise I'm so bored these days, the lighter stuff isn't doing it anymore. I need more complex new worlds and magical adventures to experience. :dragon:

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I've just realised, I've been so busy discovering other genres during the past years that I've let my favorite down. I've fallen behind on reading high fantasy! How could I? That's never happened before. I couldn't recommend anybody a newer series to save my life.

5 books to go before I may start a new series. Excuse me. I really need to get some reading time today. No surprise I'm so bored these days, the lighter stuff isn't doing it anymore. I need more complex new worlds and magical adventures to experience. :dragon:

If you have an Amazon Kindle (or the app) and have signed up for Kindle Unlimited you can read this one for free:

51z%2B83Df03L.jpg

It has a "Planescape" thing going. I'm not a big fan of fantasy writing because with a few notable exceptions it's so unoriginal. This one does not really buck that trend but it's better than most I've tried to choke down. And it is free, so there's that.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you have an Amazon Kindle (or the app) and have signed up for Kindle Unlimited you can read this one for free:

51z%2B83Df03L.jpg

It has a "Planescape" thing going. I'm not a big fan of fantasy writing because with a few notable exceptions it's so unoriginal. This one does not really buck that trend but it's better than most I've tried to choke down. And it is free, so there's that.

Sometimes there is a joy to a fun cliche / stereotype full story. That's one of the useful things about Kindle Unlimited, there might be a lot of garbage to wade through but there can be some gems found.  Although I'll admit, I do have a bit of a weakness for some of those "cheesily bad / mary sue-ish" stories that are both badly written but have a few interesting ideas.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Now reading The Drawing of the Three, the second book.  Does King use LSD? This whole story seems like an acid trip. I still haven't decided if I like it or not. 

Well he sure did use drugs so much that he ended up not knowing what he wrote sometimes but according to his own words he used Bolivian marching powder, not acid. :)

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Now reading The Drawing of the Three, the second book. Does King use LSD? This whole story seems like an acid trip. I still haven't decided if I like it or not.

Well he sure did use drugs so much that he ended up not knowing what he wrote sometimes but according to his own words he used Bolivian marching powder, not acid. :)

True story, Frank Herbert used amphetamines which is why his books got less and less coherent over the course of his life.

LittleRose

LittleRose

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts

Thank you, Raithe, but I don't have a kindle. I've chosen another brand of e-reader, so I'm not bound to one store.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5380 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

True story, Frank Herbert used amphetamines which is why his books got less and less coherent over the course of his life.

I didn't know that. Aside, I just Googled pictures of Frank Herbert "young" and "old" and he doesn't seems to have suffered the "Meth, not even once" body decay at all. I wonder what gives?

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Shame his son was on The Bad Stuff then

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I didn't know that. Aside, I just Googled pictures of Frank Herbert "young" and "old" and he doesn't seems to have suffered the "Meth, not even once" body decay at all. I wonder what gives?

Amphetamines and methamphetamines are two different things (amphetamine use is rampant in the MLB). Some authors believe that using drugs helps them write better.
  • Gfted1 likes this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Wouldn't know about better but amphetamines probably help them write a lot of stuff in a short time. Someone give GRRM some ADHD medication plx. =)

• WDeranged likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Heh, Baen have put out a flow chart to help people get into the Honor Harrington series.

s1000000001.png

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Milking that. Hm reminds me to check up on Kloos even if the series is getting more boring (yay for the badass grizzled MoH winning NCO...)

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was about to say that my favorite David Webber books are the Hammer's Slammers series, but that's David Drake.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

I've been looking for this book for a long time. Amazon kept saying they had sellers with used copies, I'd order it then get the "We're sorry but..." email. But I found it on ebay. You gotta love ebay.

51GQKJ4H4AL.jpg

It covers the story of the Panthers from expansion to the '96 Stanley Cup. Fortunately it stops there because it was all downhill after that!

Also reading:

61d6DhRCBSL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This one has been on my to-do list for a long time.

• Hurlshot likes this

Hawke64

Hawke64

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Steam:Hawke_404
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Slowly reading through my backlog on Humble Bundle. Currently at "City of the Saints" by DJ Butler. Looks like steampunk/western.

17227710.jpg

• the_dog_days likes this

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6380 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Also reading:

61d6DhRCBSL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Is it as bad as everyone says?

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Slowly reading through my backlog on Humble Bundle. Currently at "City of the Saints" by DJ Butler. Looks like steampunk/western.
17227710.jpg

DJ Butler's awesome. I love his Rock Band Fights Evil series.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Also reading:

In my experience popular things being "as bad as they say" is more often than not directly related to the amount of levels one has put into edgelord. Some people here are high level epic edgelords already. ;)

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

Also reading:

It wasn't that great. It was like a love letter to old school video games I guess. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

Well I'm oficcialy soured on fantasy & Sci-Fi again after two total time wasters. So how about some historical fiction & sports. I just ordered these two on my Kindle:

417f%2BcmSQUL.jpg

&

518wJvfHHpL.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reading, Literature, Fiction, Non-Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users