Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All the Literature and Reading Stuff...

Reading Literature Fiction Non-Fiction

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Which app are you using, Nook? At least for iOS, e-books are put into the app library where they were purchased. So in my case, they are all in a little faux library in my Nook app.

All it says it "Google Play Books" :(

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In the Play Books app you should be able to navigate to your library (down at the bottom.)

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In the Play Books app you should be able to navigate to your library (down at the bottom.)

Ahh...Looks like I may have accidently deleted them somehow or maybe someone else did without knowing. Seems I must download them one by one.

Thanks guys for the help!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Now reading this:

41WR53ZHH8L._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In 1944 25 German POWs tunneled out of an Arizona internment camp and tried to reach Mexico. All were recaptured but they gave it a hell of a run. 

• Hurlshot likes this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Started reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series:

51pDraZRUIL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only about 3.2 million words left to read. Bit daunting with the thousands of characters and all, but at least the series finished. Unlike someone else's whose TV adaptation is the only closure we'll ever get. /bitter

LittleRose

LittleRose

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 49 posts

I'm getting closer to the moment when I'll have finished several of my current favorite book series and can choose a new one to read. Oh, the bittersweet feeling between saying goodbye to some favorite characters and their worlds, and looking forward to new universes to discover, new people to meet, and new adventures to experience. I love it.

*checks endless list of possible candidates*

I think I have a slight problem here. Where do I go next? Dragon searching in the desert? Enter a bookworld for the first time since Thursday Next? Explore the stars? Solve crimes in Victorian London? Or hunt monsters in a the big modern day cities? It's a tough choice, but I'll get this.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2305 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The latest Iron Druid book came out so I now have that until the next Stormlight Archive book comes out

Might need to mix in some more Shadowrun novels as well

• the_dog_days likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

An interesting story from the book I described above. Two german lieutenants on the run after the escpape made it was far as Gila Bend, just 10 miles from Mexico. The stopped to wash their clothes in a canal when they were found by a group of cowboys. When the cowboys heard who they were they were so impressed about how far they'd gotten they took them into town for a beer while waiting for the Sheriff to come get them. That's pretty cool.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

On some literary related news...

Scammers break the kindle store

• Hurlshot likes this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Amazon and Steam have many of the same issues concerning scammers in the indie scene.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2146 posts

That reminds me, just bought Asimov's first Foundation book for Kindle for $1.99 Loved that book when I was a teenager. Will have to see if either of us aged well.
  • Raithe and Azdeus like this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Psh, not really a scam - more exploiting, if anything. Here I was thinking this was going to be Amazon fixing their rental/textbook encryptions or something, which have been broken for some time...but uh, I guess it's the opposite: Amazon continuing to do nothing. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus, 19 July 2017 - 07:53 AM.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10823 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Started reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series:

51pDraZRUIL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Only about 3.2 million words left to read. Bit daunting with the thousands of characters and all, but at least the series finished. Unlike someone else's whose TV adaptation is the only closure we'll ever get. /bitter

I had trouble with that series.  I read the entire thing, so clearly I got through it, but some of the books were good while others dragged.

I think part of it was just the sheer amount of words, that at some point halfway through, everything just kind of all mingled together and I forgot/got confused about a few of the sideplots and characters.

I've given up on George Martin ever finishing ASoIF, too.  The guy is basically just living off whatever royalties he gets for the show and doesn't seem motivated at all to finish.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm sure fulfilling a legacy is motivation enough to finish the series. I think his health is more of a concern to whether he finishes than anything else.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Now reading this:

51N3hX6xs3L.jpg

and this:

515ompioB8L.jpg

The former might be of interest if you practice archery. I'm finding it interesting at least in terms of how to focus the mind on the target rather than the mechanics of stance, draw, release point, etc. The latter was recommended by a friend and I and definitely recommending it to anyone who has ever wondered where the hell Greenville Mississippi is or wondered what the hell the Pascagoula Run is (hint it does not involve running or the Jimmy Buffet Song) it's a pretty good read. I lived in Florida for many years. Most of my life in fact. My cell phone still has a 954 area code. I thought Florida was the weirdest and quirkiest place in the US. It may well be but Mississippi runs a close second.

• Hurlshot and Azdeus like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

OK, last night I was flipping through A Storm of Swords, book 3 of A Song of Ice & Fire. If you only watch the TV show stop reading here. Nothing that follows applies to the Game of Thrones show.

The most interesting character in the books to me is Petyr Baelish. The book Petyr is much more complex and smarter than TV Petyr. He is one of the prime movers of the plot. So, in the last Alayne chapter of A Feast For Crows he explains to Sansa who Harrold Hardying and why he is important. He is Robert Arryn's heir because he is descended from John Arryn's younger brother who married a Waynwood daughter. Fine. Now go back to the last Caetlyn chapter in A Storm of Swords before the Red Wedding and you find a discussion between her and Robb about who his heir should be until Jeyene Westerling can give him a son. She is trying to convince Rob not to legitimize Jon and name him Robb's heir. Caetlyn tells her son that Ned's grandfather had a sister who married into House Royce in the vale. They had three daughters one of whom married a Waynwood and had another daughter who married an Arryn. 

That means Harrold Hardying might not just be the heir to the Vale, he might also be the heir to the North since Bran & Rickon are believed to be dead. That makes him a pretty important charcter and no wonder Baelish wanted Sansa to seduce and marry him.  Am I the only one who noticed this?

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
That means Harrold Hardying might not just be the heir to the Vale, he might also be the heir to the North since Bran & Rickon are believed to be dead. That makes him a pretty important charcter and no wonder Baelish wanted Sansa to seduce and marry him.  Am I the only one who noticed this?

I've read that theory before, not sure where. There's more secondary text these days than in the books. Apparently the World of Ice and Fire book confirms that Harry the Heir has a distant claim to the North, but I have never seen the family tree in that book. Might be petty but I refuse to get it (or any of the other side anthology projects) until the main series is finished.

I doubt that it's part of Lord Baelish's direct plan though, I mean Sansa currently has the best claim to Winterfell and therefore the North. He just wants Harry to marry Sansa because Harry's essentially a miniature Robert Baratheon and he thinks he can be the grey eminence in that setup. So that's also why he creates a fake Arya for Ramsay and his dogs to play with - Sansa has a better claim and can expose Jeyne Pool if necessary after all.

So really the only thing he wants Harry for is the only army not spent and ravaged by years of war. *shrug*

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

I hope Rickon gets a better part in the books than he got in the show. Although the name of his Direworlf seems to indicate he won't:

shaggy-dog story

a long, rambling story or joke, typically one that is amusing only because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless.

Edited by Guard Dog, Yesterday, 01:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reading, Literature, Fiction, Non-Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users