Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All the Literature and Reading Stuff...

Reading Literature Fiction Non-Fiction

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Also; Goosing. You forgot goosing. Whatever the hell that is. :)

I much prefer it to Tolkien and George Martins books personally.

I will acknowledge that the ending was unsatisfactory though.

Goosing. Basically pinching an arse.  Or prodding it with a finger. Used usually in either a method of joking surprise on an unaware person, or in sexist appreciation of a fine rear (note : I have been aware of both men and women getting goosed - by both men and women).

Thank you, I've been wondering about that for about a decade to be honest :p

Edited by Azdeus, 24 April 2017 - 04:23 PM.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Any time someone mentions goosing the first thing I think of is middle school. Back in middle school there was a pack of girls who went on about a six month kick where they would constantly try to surpise one another with goosing.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Nippletwisters were more a thing at my schools for some reason, I reckon there was some movie/TV show where it was done alot wich started it and they. Never. Stopped.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Just finished reading the Beyonders by Brandon Mull. (Yes, it is YA, and no that doesn't bother me.) It's probably my favorite epic fantasy trilogy in the last decade. Very good stuff.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just finished reading Acacia (book one). by David Anothony Durham. Not usually my cup of tea, but it makes for a pretty good epic fantasy especially if you like A Song of Fire and Ice (which I don't).

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

"New" J.R.R. Tolkien book: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01MG2HOWD/

Article on it: http://www.bbc.com/n...dshire-40109396

Edited by Bartimaeus, 01 June 2017 - 05:58 AM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Did they just cut the story from the the Silmarillion or is there unreleased material there?

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"New" J.R.R. Tolkien book: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01MG2HOWD/

Article on it: http://www.bbc.com/n...dshire-40109396

Did they just cut the story from the the Silmarillion or is there unreleased material there?

Yes, it was originally from the Silmarillion. Good eye.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts

Yes, from my own guess, and based on what I'm reading in the foreword of the book, this is basically a reframing of the story as to separate it from the Simillarion, and to make it easier to follow.

On a side-note, I just remembered that I don't like Christopher Tolkien's writing:

firefox_2017-06-01_10-43-02.png

• Tale likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

What is is about sons following up on their fathers work? It never goes well. Brian Herbert took the mess his father made of Dune following God Emperor and made a bigger mess with sequels and prequels. Christopher Tolkien has made a living off his father's pen. Even Jeff Sharra, who isn't a bad writer himself, still isn't a patch on his old man Micheal Sharra as he finished his father's civil war series. 

Anyway I'm reading this:

51UUAVPP5XL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One of my favorite novels and movies is True Grit. I actually like the 2012 remake better than John Wayne's 1969 version (sorry Duke) because it is more true to the book. I was reading about the author Charles Portis and I found out the charterer Rooster Cogburn was based on a real man named Franklin Cogburn. Although he wasn't a lawman of any sort he did in fact do some of the things Portis attributed to his character. Not the least of which was the 4 on 1 shootout at climax of the book and both movies.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10513 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I just found out Deep Ellum is having a lit hop tomorrow. I assume I'm the only Dallas area Obsidianite?

It's a literary bar crawl. I'm struggling to guess at what that means beyond the fact that a bunch of local poets will be attending. But it sounds worth checking out. https://www.facebook...29649400912879/

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts

What is is about sons following up on their fathers work? It never goes well. Brian Herbert took the mess his father made of Dune following God Emperor and made a bigger mess with sequels and prequels. Christopher Tolkien has made a living off his father's pen. Even Jeff Sharra, who isn't a bad writer himself, still isn't a patch on his old man Micheal Sharra as he finished his father's civil war series.

Will anyone take over after Christopher, I wonder? The bloke is in his 90s now, after all...

Edited by Bartimaeus, 02 June 2017 - 08:29 AM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10513 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is it wrong to hope not? 

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts

Not at all. Someone will retain the rights, however, and no doubt someone will want to bring it back somewhere down the line, whether in writing or in film.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
@Guard Dog: I understand perfectly why the estate would want to add to the original creator's IP. It's only been in the last few decades that hitting the creative jackpot and can make a fortune in a single lifetime has become possible. Traditionally, an IP was a super long term investment so adding new titles after the author dies in like feeding the trust fund. This sounds derogatory but it makes perfect sense if you look at it from the perspective of a family who inherited little more from the author than the IP.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

@Guard Dog: I understand perfectly why the estate would want to add to the original creator's IP. It's only been in the last few decades that hitting the creative jackpot and can make a fortune in a single lifetime has become possible. Traditionally, an IP was a super long term investment so adding new titles after the author dies in like feeding the trust fund. This sounds derogatory but it makes perfect sense if you look at it from the perspective of a family who inherited little more from the author than the IP.

Oh I know why it was done. my complaint is it wasn't done well. In the three examples I mentioned the sons are far below the ability of their fathers.

Edit: OK, that's not really fair. Jeff Shaara is a pretty good writer in his own right. Brian Hebert though? No. Not even

Edited by Guard Dog, 02 June 2017 - 11:05 AM.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't believe either Brian Herbert or Christopher Tolkien have ever written a book on their own. Both act as 'creative leads', to borrow a gaming development phrase, rather than writers. I imagine it's hard to find a decent author who won't try to take over the project and make it their own.
  • Tale likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

I don't believe either Brian Herbert or Christopher Tolkien have ever written a book on their own. Both act as 'creative leads', to borrow a gaming development phrase, rather than writers. I imagine it's hard to find a decent author who won't try to take over the project and make it their own.

I didn't know that. Well, I knew Tolkien's son has really been editing and cleaning up things his JRR was tinkering with but had never finished. He may have filled in some gaps but 90% of the work was JRR Tolkien's I believe. I didn't know Brian Hebert wasn't the sole writer of all the Dune prequels and expanded backstory stuff.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6860 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Brian finally got his revenge on his dad for liking the books more than him.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts

The worst example of a child "taking over" for one of their parents, though, I'd think would have to be Todd McCaffrey and the Pern series. His mother, Anne McCaffrey, wrote this fun little coming-of-age sci-fi book series, and he writes this weird...like metrosexual fan-fiction-esque subseries about a young teenage girl, taking place somewhere else in the timeline. It was really strange and, I have to say, kind of gross. I've read some of Christopher Tolkien's work, and I've read some of Brian Herbert's work, and I don't think either can be said to be as bad as Todd McCaffrey's.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 02 June 2017 - 01:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reading, Literature, Fiction, Non-Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users