Gear, spells and companion vanished from save game

Inventions

Question

Description:

About 40hrs into a playthrough, after loading a save, all characters in the party are suddenly missing equipped items and items from inventory (unsure if stash is affected, but I don't believe so). Level 5 spells are missing from all characters also. 

Sagani (not in the party) is also now missing from the stronghold, and no longer appears in the list for stronghold missions. 

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

Load the save.

Important Files:

Save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcdkrao3x3mv5zh/de736d45b0db46ada5821a01ed9d8b32%2014191867%20CaedNua.zip?dl=0

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu0brd414exiq3h/output_log.txt?dl=0

13 answers to this question

Just an update (as I can't seem to edit my original post), I've now found Sagani standing around in the Woodend Plains. I'm able to talk to her as if she were a companion, but she won't budge otherwise and still doesn't show up at the stronghold/in the list of companions.

Hello Inventions,

Welcome to the Forums! I took a look at your save and I have entered your files in a bug report and forward it to the appropriate department. I would suggest that you old an older save in the mean time. Verify your game cache just in case to prevent this issue from happening again. In your steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Thank you for your support. 

I also experience disappearing weapons. When I load a save game, often the main weapon slot is empty. Happens all the time with different kinds oft weapons. This is superannoying! It's not too bad when generic weapons are affected, but now I lost a unique weapon after quicksaving because I didn't notice something was missing.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hi, the weapons I can remember: a fine arbalest, a fine crossbow and finally the Forgotten Tear of the Beloved (flail). Every time it was one of my two paladins who was lacking a weapon after reloading. Maybe it also occured after traveling. I don't care about achievements but I also don't like to even touch the console. I didn't plan to use the flail a lot, so good riddance, but now I'm always in fear that a really essential weapon will go missing. If this happens I will use the console.

Hi, I'm also having an issue with missing weapon. The soulbound great sword 'St. Ydwen's redeemer'. I'm not sure if I'm missing something else but the soulbound weapon is kind of a big deal. It was equipped on the 3rd weapon set of my paladin. When I load my save, the 3rd weapon set is empty. I don't really want to use console commands because it is my first playthrough and for some reason, I care about the steam achievements. 

Unfortunately, I also don't have a 'recent' old save. There's a 13 hour game time difference between my current save file and my old save file.

First and second weapon slot for me - so that's no pattern. But my paladins are also island aumaua with three weapon slots. Maybe it has something to do with "Armed to the Teeth"?

Edited by Boeroer

Hi Aarik,

Unfortunately not - the others are way before the bug hit. I didn't take 'Armed to the Teeth' on any of my chars though, if that helps. I thought it might be only unique items affected but I think I had some more vanilla (fine/exceptional) gear equipped as well.

Just for more info, I'd been hoarding every grimoire I'd picked up in the game in Aloth's inventory - a large chunk of them vanished, but not all. Also the missing items effects were showing up as 'buffs' (with no effect) on my character portraits, but not the character screen. These vanished once I re-equipped some console'd-in replacement items and did an area transition or two.

I did try verifying the cache (one of the first things I did before reporting the issue) but it didn't make any difference, as I suspect the issue is baked into the save. I've since gone on to complete the run-through after doing the respec with no other major bugs (apart from a Swamp Slime taking a crit, and slowly expanding to fill half of my screen like The Blob - screenshotted the evidence!).  

Ha - after a crit some enemies sometimes fly away and float in the air when I pause directly after the crit. After verifying the cache I had no further issues with missing weapons - I have no idea if this is just a coincidence.