[2.01][major bug] old watcher is still broken

pillarsofbugs

Question

The ancient bug with "Old Watcher" quest which was reported here multiple times is still broken: Maerwald is dead but no choice is offered by Steward regarding what to do with him. Hence, next quest "Never Far from the Queen" is not started.

This is 100% game-breaking and deserves retro-fix.

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g3cb533b090df47a9999729522f36347776539e647

This is save next to Steward: talk to him to see that no choice regarding Maerwald is offered. Check the quest log to see that "Old Watcher" is grayed out but no next main quest is available.

And please, do so before link expires. Btw, will it really lead to you company's bankruptcy due to hosting expenses if you increase forum's file upload limit to whopping 2Mb?

8 answers to this question

So update to 2.02.  I have heard of your bug with a game that was updated from 2.0 to 2.01.  I you want to stay on 2.01 (for whatever reason...its the most faulty patch by far) then you have to start over.  Again update to 2.02 and the issue will be fixed.  If its not the fix is not retroactive and you will have to restart the game anyway.

Have gun will travel.

Hello pillarsofbug,

Did you happen to quicksave fight before the battle as soon as the dialogue with Maerwald finished? That causes the quest to get bugged. I have already reported a bug for this. If so, I suggest that you load a save before this and not quicksave after the dialogue and you will be able to complete the quest and progress forward. 

Thank you for your support. 

Hello,

I have the same bug issue. I fought Maelwald around 15 hours ago, when I was still getting used to PoE. My characters died, but my main had something like 10 endurance left. Instead of fighting me Maewald up and fled into the next room where the spiders promptly killed him. At the time I thought this was part of the game. So I went upstairs, told the spirit that he is dead, and started exploring and learning the lore. But the Maewald quest is still open in my quest box. I never got the option to release his soul, etc. I wandered around the different levels of the keep thinking Maewald survived and I have to get him. Found out about the bug after I got suspicious that I can't get to Elm's Reach with the ambassador, apparently a river is supposed to dry up through another quest after Maelwald is gone.

Since then I lost the pre-fight save file, and have invested many hours into the game so don't really want to start over. Is there anyway to finish the quest and move on in the main story line?

Is there anyway to finish the quest and move on in the main story line?

It's probably possible with the "ForceAdvanceQuest" cheat code which is added by the IE Mod.

Unfortunately that did not work for me. I installed the mod successfully (iemod shows up in the game), but using the command ForceAdvanceQuest data/quests/critical_path/act_1/cp_qst_the_old_watcher.quest didn't bring me to the next quest.

Did you happen to quicksave fight before the battle as soon as the dialogue with Maerwald finished? That causes the quest to get bugged. I have already reported a bug for this. If so, I suggest that you load a save before this and not quicksave after the dialogue and you will be able to complete the quest and progress forward. 

Yepp, the bug is well-known for many versions, the cause is known - the only thing unknown is if the proper fix will ever appear. For instance, I don't have that old save anymore - so I've got either trash hours of gameplay and start from scratch or to wait for fix which might never come. Third option is to trash PoE of course.

I really wish Obsidian followed example of InXile's Wasteland 2 - first cut all the features you can't make stable, release the game people can play and only afterwards start working on expansions like their recent "Director's Cut". Making half-baked prototype, calling it a game than trying to fix it while working on dlc at the same time isn't really woking.