Kentucky County Clerk still Refuses to issue Gay Marriage License

BruceVC

So the internet strikes with...

11986546_1219864898039019_75051146335214

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh. I find it sorta troubling that a) folks are getting their pants in a bunch over a public official having *the gall* to disagree with and not act according to the law of the land (*cough*) and b) that apparently the first and only recourse when this happens is to throw the offender in jail IMMEDIATELY.

I wonder, what were all these honourable judges doing when, oh, I don't know, Dubya launched a war without Congressional declaration?

The message here is, mess with the LGTBQASDFOMGWTFBBQ clique = indefinite prison sentence. Kill a few thousand sand **** (and US troops) = cozy Secret Service-protected, taxpayer-funded retirement, right?

edit: removed quotation, made no sense. Still, comparing (even loosely) Thomas More with this hypocritical kook made me chuckle.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You beat me to it Raithe. Why is it the defenders of morality seldom are champions of it in their own lives?

Or maybe we just are hip deep in hypocrites after all.  

The truth is if you have a moral objection the right thing to do would be resign. Not pull a Wallace and stand in front of the school house door. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Heh. I find it sorta troubling that a) folks are getting their pants in a bunch over a public official having *the gall* to disagree with and not act according to the law of the land (*cough*) and b) that apparently the first and only recourse when this happens is to throw the offender in jail IMMEDIATELY.

I wonder, what were all these honourable judges doing when, oh, I don't know, Dubya launched a war without Congressional declaration?

The message here is, mess with the LGTBQASDFOMGWTFBBQ clique = indefinite prison sentence. Kill a few thousand sand **** (and US troops) = cozy Secret Service-protected, taxpayer-funded retirement, right?

edit: removed quotation, made no sense. Still, comparing (even loosely) Thomas More with this hypocritical kook made me chuckle.

Epic fail of analysis ...weird for you as you are normally much more insightful on these matters

Its a bad example to compare any war to this ....not sure how that is relevant in any way ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You beat me to it Raithe. Why is it the defenders of morality seldom are champions of it in their own lives?

Or maybe we just are hip deep in hypocrites after all.  

The truth is if you have a moral objection the right thing to do would be resign. Not pull a Wallace and stand in front of the school house door. 

GD would you say she is hot in a court clerk sort of way ?

John Milton 

Its a bad example to compare any war to this ....not sure how that is relevant in any way ?

The point is that, as usual, the full weight of the law is falling on this idiot because she's small fish and being open about her reasons. If you are a big shot and smart enough to spread responsibility around with legal gymnastics, you can get away with murder, quite literally.

We're all equal under the law, but some are more equal than others, right?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The point is that, as usual, the full weight of the law is falling on this idiot because she's small fish and being open about her reasons. If you are a big shot and smart enough to spread responsibility around with legal gymnastics, you can get away with murder, quite literally.

To be fair this incident is a bit more significant than just some women

She represents one of  the last remaining unreasonable resistances to a Supreme Court ruling..its more symbolic 

And she was given many options and time to abide by the law ?

John Milton 

Clearly some backwater clerk not marrying gays is more grievous than starting a war or crashing the economy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"I'm sure ISIS think they are following the word of God."

\

SJW detected.

You just compared someone not giving a piece of legal paper to someone to a group who goes around mass murdering and raping. BRILLIANT WORK.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

\

SJW detected.

You just compared someone not giving a piece of legal paper to someone to a group who goes around mass murdering and raping. BRILLIANT WORK.

Yeah, next you are going to compare whiny twitter people to Nazis!  

• Like 2

\

SJW detected.

Yes they do think they religious..in fact ISIS takes certain parts of the Koran very literally 

Many Muslims don't consider them Islamic ....I don't know. I just consider them extremists that need to be annihilated 

• Like 1

John Milton 

I think it should be considered that the case of Ms. Davis is one in which she's deliberately ignoring the highest power in the land about the very facet of her job. From the law's standpoint this isn't about her personal moral stance on a particular item of the day, instead it's the fact that one person is deliberately standing up to the court and everything the court stands for within the bounds of the United States. If you cannot force one hick from the middle of the poorest regions of the states to comply with the law of the land, how can you say you have the authority and ability to enforce any other law within the realm of the government?

Were I in the courts shoes, this wouldn't be about the marriages anymore, this is about her refusing to capitulate to those deemed her superior in authority. She can claim that God's authority is higher, but she has to deal with the here and now, and the consequences of her decisions. After all, what's a short lifetime in prison if she's spending eternity in Heaven for "standing up for her beliefs" anyway.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If it's fair that this woman can reject doing this, I think it should be equally fair for people to be able to say "Can I be helped by someone else, please? I don't want to be helped by religious nutjobs."

In fact, make two separate queues. One for religious nutjobs, and one for enlightened, reasonable people.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

If it's fair that this woman can reject doing this, I think it should be equally fair for people to be able to say "Can I be helped by someone else, please? I don't want to be helped by religious nutjobs."

In fact, make two separate queues. One for religious nutjobs, and one for enlightened, reasonable people.

I don't know, I am not that sympathetic to people who make excuses for simply not doing there job

John Milton 

Taking a moral stand however flawed the reasoning is an admirable thing IMO. But the moral choice here is not to refuse to obey the law, the moral choice would be to resign if your conscience will not permit you to do your job. I read elsewhere a blog comparing her to Rosa Parks but the comparison is not valid. Rosa Parks took an affirmative action in defiance of the law for her own liberty. She did not force a white passenger to sit in the back, she did not prevent white passengers from getting on the bus. Kim Davis is taking  an affirmative action in defiance of the law that does not enhance her own liberty but restricts someone else's. That isn't moral, it's selfish.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

the thing is though, that she can't be allowed to force the beliefs of HER religion into other people's business. USA is not a theocracy like Iran where the rules of the religion are the law of the land. in USA (and any non theocratic country in the world) you are free to be as religious as you want, but you are not free to impose your religion's rules on the lawful rights of others

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Taking a moral stand however flawed the reasoning is an admirable thing IMO. But the moral choice here is not to refuse to obey the law, the moral choice would be to resign if your conscience will not permit you to do your job. I read elsewhere a blog comparing her to Rosa Parks but the comparison is not valid. Rosa Parks took an affirmative action in defiance of the law for her own liberty. She did not force a white passenger to sit in the back, she did not prevent white passengers from getting on the bus. Kim Davis is taking  an affirmative action in defiance of the law that does not enhance her own liberty but restricts someone else's. That isn't moral, it's selfish.

What annoys me more and,remember I really support SJ causes,is I thought in the beginning she was doing this because she was truly religious and I had sympathy for that

But  I'm sorry after seeing her marriage record I have now realized she cannot be a person of that much real conviction ...and it annoys me that she delayed the process that long 

John Milton 

@ GD and others

You guys realize its Republicans who would be making the whole spurious Rosa Parks analogy....its an insult to your intelligence. They are basically suggesting you guys are rednecks who live in the wild and aren't as informed as " us city folk " 

This would be a good and understandable time to switch to Democrats and Hilary...no one will judge you :p

John Milton 

Taking a moral stand however flawed the reasoning is an admirable thing IMO. But the moral choice here is not to refuse to obey the law, the moral choice would be to resign if your conscience will not permit you to do your job. I read elsewhere a blog comparing her to Rosa Parks but the comparison is not valid. Rosa Parks took an affirmative action in defiance of the law for her own liberty. She did not force a white passenger to sit in the back, she did not prevent white passengers from getting on the bus. Kim Davis is taking an affirmative action in defiance of the law that does not enhance her own liberty but restricts someone else's. That isn't moral, it's selfish.

@ GD and others

You guys realize its Republicans who would be making the whole spurious Rosa Parks analogy....its an insult to your intelligence. They are basically suggesting you guys are rednecks who live in the wild and aren't as informed as " us city folk "

This would be a good and understandable time to switch to Democrats and Hilary...no one will judge you :p

Bruce, speaking as a democrat -- albeit with fascist tendencies -- there are Republicans who absolutely get it, and Democrats that are plain morons. The problem with today's political climate in America is that the loud voices tend to drown out those who are willing pragmatists. I personally have no problem with most Republicans I know --hell I'm very good friends and even related to many of them. Unfortunately, good sense has been hijacked by partisan rhetoric and irresponsible governance.

Debate is good. Discourse is good. I want good, responsible Republicans and Democrats actually working together to form a working government. I would vote for another Eisenhower or George H.W. Bush. I would've even been tempted by Jon Huntsman had he won the Republican primary in 2012.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Taking a moral stand however flawed the reasoning is an admirable thing IMO. But the moral choice here is not to refuse to obey the law, the moral choice would be to resign if your conscience will not permit you to do your job. I read elsewhere a blog comparing her to Rosa Parks but the comparison is not valid. Rosa Parks took an affirmative action in defiance of the law for her own liberty. She did not force a white passenger to sit in the back, she did not prevent white passengers from getting on the bus. Kim Davis is taking an affirmative action in defiance of the law that does not enhance her own liberty but restricts someone else's. That isn't moral, it's selfish.

@ GD and others

Bruce, speaking as a democrat -- albeit with fascist tendencies -- there are Republicans who absolutely get it, and Democrats that are plain morons. The problem with today's political climate in America is that the loud voices tend to drown out those who are willing pragmatists. I personally have no problem with most Republicans I know --hell I'm very good friends and even related to many of them. Unfortunately, good sense has been hijacked by partisan rhetoric and irresponsible governance.

Debate is good. Discourse is good. I want good, responsible Republicans and Democrats actually working together to form a working government. I would vote for another Eisenhower or George H.W. Bush. I would've even been tempted by Jon Huntsman had he won the Republican primary in 2012.

Yes I know not all Republicans are bad, as I mentioned all the Americans I work with are Republicans. I would never judge a person on the party he supports ....that would be a very myopic way of looking at people

For me I judge people on there actual views and actions....for example someone who was a racist or shows homophobia. This " criticism " of mine towards the Republicans is just politics, its not personal. But I do want the Democrats to win as I want the  Obama policies to continue as they have been very good for the USA ..so I would love for someone like GD to vote Democrats so he isn't disappointed when they win...I like him 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Why is a marriage licence clerk an elected official and why can't they just fire her for not doing her job. These are the real questions. Fix that first.

They do more than just issue marriage licenses and maybe the title clerk makes it seem less important than it is.

EDIT-http://rowancountyclerk.com/

As county clerk I am responsible for providing many services to the people of Rowan county. These duties include general categories of clerical duties of the fiscal court: issuing and registering, recording and keeping various legal records, registering and purging voter rolls, and conducting election duties and tax duties.

Our office is here to serve the public in a friendly, professional and efficient manner. We are constantly striving to upgrade our services in order to better serve you. This website is our most recent attempt to better serve the people of Rowan county. Here you will find contact information, important forms and documents, land and legal records, and much more. Feel free to contact us via phone or fax during business hours, or use our convenient contact form and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Kim Davis

Rowan County Clerk

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21