What weapons do you equip for your story companions?

Just wondering what weapons everybody uses.

This is my set up 

Main: Rapier & Dagger

Aloth: Scepter & Rod

Eder: Sabre and Large Shield

Durance: Quarterstaff (He has a quarterstaff in his picture, so for rp purposes i equip him with one)

Kana: Battle Axe and Small shield

Sagani: Hunting Bow (soulbound weapon)

Pallegina: Greatsword (soulbound weapon)

Hiravias: Arbalest

Grieving Mother: Blunderbusse

Havent tried the expansion yet but i figured Ill go with

Devil of Caroc: Pistol

Zahua: Quarterstaff (soulbound weapon)

With this set up i dont get to use the soulbound weapon Nightshroud. If they made Nightshroud bind with Chanter (its the only soulbound weapon that binds with 2 classes, so hopefully they plan to add another class soon) it'd be perfect.

Grieving Mother benefits the most from fast weapons, especially if you get her upgraded soul lash, so I went with two daggers on her for when shes not at risk of getting murdered instantly, and the fastest bow I could find. 

Since her passive adds a static amount of damage, faster attacks get more out of it. (When I'm in overleveled areas, she seriously murders with two daggers) 

I'll have to look when I get home, looking at the abilities on the Wiki I might be mistaken and mixed up the static damage with brutal backlash. 

Draining whip I believe adds a static amount of focus gain, but I'll have to test it out to make sure I wasn't tricking myself into thinking things are better than they are.

I tend to like to have my characters with one melee and one ranged weapon apiece.

From there, I determine weapons by how they're grouped into those proficiency feats (Adventurer, Soldier, etc), enchantments on weapons I have on me, weapon speed, aesthetic appeal, and what sort of weapons the character had when they joined my party.

So my party weapons ended up looking like this:

Main: Estoc (I love you, Blade of the Endless Paths), Wand

Aloth: Rapier, Scepter

Eder: Saber & Large Shield, War Bow (for those times when he can't get into melee for whatever reason)

Durance: that swanky unique Quarterstaff he came with, Rod

Kana: Great Sword, Arquebus

Sagani: Dagger & Hatchet, Hunting Bow

Pallegina: Great Sword, Pistol

Hiravias: Spear (spiritshifting wears off!), Wand. Pretty sure I prioritized other things other than weapon proficiency for him.

Grieving Mother: Dagger & Stiletto, Crossbow

Devil of Caroc: Rapier & Dagger, Rod (I got her at level 12, so I made her good at using the superb-quality uniques I accumulated)

Zahua: HIS BARE FISTS, LIKE A REAL MONK!!! and also a hunting bow

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

It used to add a fix amount.

Now it increased the percentage of damages converted into focus.

That was done to make fast (or multishot ^^) and slow weapons equals for focus gain.

Awesome thanks for the clarification, so I wasn't completely crazy thinking it was static.

I tend to like to have my characters with one melee and one ranged weapon apiece.

From there, I determine weapons by how they're grouped into those proficiency feats (Adventurer, Soldier, etc), enchantments on weapons I have on me, weapon speed, aesthetic appeal, and what sort of weapons the character had when they joined my party.

Eder: Saber & Large Shield, War Bow (for those times when he can't get into melee for whatever reason)

Hiravias: Spear (spiritshifting wears off!), Wand. Pretty sure I prioritized other things other than weapon proficiency for him.

Devil of Caroc: Rapier & Dagger, Rod (I got her at level 12, so I made her good at using the superb-quality uniques I accumulated)

For Durance you should use the quarterstaff Llawran Stick. Its the same as Durances default staff (minus the fire enchantment, but you can add that yourself anyway) but with 1.2x attack speed.

Edited by Gary1986

For Durance you should use the quarterstaff Llawran Stick. Its the same as Durances default staff but with 1.2x attack speed.

Huh. I'll consider it, next time he finds himself in my party.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

For Durance you should use the quarterstaff Llawran Stick. Its the same as Durances default staff but with 1.2x attack speed.

Huh. I'll consider it, next time he finds himself in my party.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Quarterstaff

Tells you where its found.

1. PC cipher uses blunderbuss and special sabre/shield.

2. Eder fighter uses sabre/table shield or one hand weapon.

3. Aloth used to be wand and staff but now it's maybe an estoc/arbalest and hatchet/shield.

4. Druid hatchet/shield and the shocking garam pistol.

5. Durance has an arquebus and sword/large shield.

6. Pallegina paladins have a pike and weapon/shield combo. Used to have an arquebus and pike combo, but will need to switch to estoc and weapon/shield combo later. Estocs are way too good, given the special ones.

Generally I switch around the weapon focuses with IE mod before 1.06, and when I found a unique weapon that was nice, I tried to integrate it into my party tactics to see if it worked better than an npc's normal weapons.

Dexterity and perception are exponential whereas might increases damage directly. Which means I want to see what happens with weapons that give accuracy and attack speed. Some special weapons are really good, even though I don't have the focus talent, because they are extraordinary or superb.

Edited by Ymarsakar

My cipher user the hunting bow Persistence, which quickly proved much better than most firearms (at least until near end game).

High and fast damage gave me much more focus than a big firearm hit. You could still start with a firearm and then switch.

This confused me as to way so many prefer firearms on Cipher :p

Regarding Hiravias, I'd say it's weird for me to give a druid a firearm :p

✔ Certified Bat Food

I tend to swap my team out every now and again, so I wanted a healthy mix.

Main: Quarterstaff/Sword & Board/Hunting Bow

He's a Druid, but since he's always on the team, I keep him flexible.

Aloth: Scepter or Rod

I don't care what he does with his non spellcasting time as long as he auto attacks.

Eder: Sabre and Large Shield

Durance: Arquebuses

With the Intense Flame perk, I have a weapon to keep him out of harm's way while still contributing damage.

Kana: Flail

I wanted to try out One Handed style, the new graze-to-hit conversion thing seems cool, and it stacks with flails. I'll give him the draining one.

Sagani: Hunting Bow (soulbound weapon)

I'll do the same for her with the Soulbound bow. Or give her a Warbow.

Pallegina: Greatsword (soulbound weapon)

Same here.

Hiravias: Pike

So he can stay back and melee.

Grieving Mother: Crossbow

I dunno, why not?

The soulbound hunting bow works really well on Ciphers for building up focus. Especially when paired with the Heart of the Storm talent and a high MIGHT score (which GM sadly doesn't get, but a custom Cipher definitely can.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

My cipher user the hunting bow Persistence, which quickly proved much better than most firearms (at least until near end game).

High and fast damage gave me much more focus than a big firearm hit. You could still start with a firearm and then switch.

This confused me as to way so many prefer firearms on Cipher :p

Regarding Hiravias, I'd say it's weird for me to give a druid a firearm :p

The firearm build generally needs the DR bypass talent, which improves blunderbuss six projectile spray a lot due to DR not negating it. Kana's fire dmg buff to weapons and debuffing the enemy with paralysis, will make the blunderbuss hit for max damage. It's about 100-140 dmg per fire at level 11. Shot fires every 9-14 seconds depending on recovery and attack speed/reload.

If I remember, persistence has some pretty good enchants for the level. DR bypass helps that out as well. So it hits about maybe every 2-3s.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Main (Cipher): Pistol

Aloth: Wand

Edér: Hatchet and Shield

Durance: Arquebus

Kana Rua: Blunderbuss

Sagani: War Bow

Pallegina: Hatchet and Shield

Hiravias: Hunting Bow

Grieving Mother: Pistol

I haven't done the White March content yet but as for the remaining two...

Zahua: Unarmed... Monks need no weapon

Devil of Caroc: Probably dual Stilettos

I never really use the story companions though. Ultimately I rather just use created ones instead, only dragging them along if I feel like doing their quests.

Current party:

Pallegina: 1h+s. Different one-handers, mostly Shatterstar. Uses the outworn buckler from Gilded Vale for maximum party protection - it almost always affects the three other members of the front line as I use her to achor my front line, and when the rear line has to move closer to the front, they benefit too.

Durance: 1h+s. Used different swords until I got soulbound Nightshroud. Uses a large shield for maximum protection.

Eder: 2h. Tidefall/soulbound St. Ywes the Redeemer depending on situation.

Devil of Caroc: 2h. Hours of St. Rumbalt/soulbound Grey Sleeper depending on situation. (Nice that I only need the Greatsword focus to gain +6 for both)

Kana: ranged. Soulbound Stormcaller.

Wizard main: ranged. The two-barreled rod from the White March which name I forget and isn't important anyway, because my wizard only uses it in trivial fights where I can't be arsed to lay waste to the field by spamming spells or casting K. Minor Blights.

I have just finished off the White March content and don't rightly know what I'll do once I gain the Blade of the Endless Paths. Sure, it is a good weapon, but I want Pallegina to stay 1h+s due to using the herald buckler to boost the front line's defenses, and Durance is mostly casting spells anyway, so giving him a 2h rather than 1h+s seems contraindicated. Oh, well, having more top quality to choose from than I need is a luxury problem. :)

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Eder: slashing/corrosive saber (forgot name) + shield // pistol

Durance: arquebus // hatchet + highest def shield

Hiravias: Rod + whatever XD

Main: Rod,scepter and w/e, mostly rods with on hit effects due to blast :>

Pallegina: Estoc The Grey Sleeper

Merc Barb: Tall Grass // 2h sword

Zahua: fists/crossbow

Edited by Killyox