Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PC problems, need advice

RAM PSU failure

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

You confirmed with swapping out RAM/Memtesting the RAM? Given that it's actually getting to desktop, my inclination would be RAM, not CPU. CPUs are extremely reliable* - I would make sure by memtest86-ing your RAM before shipping it back.

*And when they fail, they usually fail spectacularly...

Edited by Bartimaeus, 15 May 2016 - 08:32 AM.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

well, this RAM is brand new, this is the first time these two part were ran together, and these are the same symptoms I had with another RAM plaque. even if it's this RAM too, no way of replacing it. since it works perfectly with the other CPU, I'd rather try my luck with Intel

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts

Hardware is weird. I've had RAM work perfectly fine for a few weeks, then suddenly start causing the computer to crash every time after boot up for a few days, and then suddenly be fine again (and the cause being that it was actually defective after testing it with memtest86). I've also had a video card that was defective that was only having problems with a specific motherboard, but seemed to be fine in others. So, again, before you go through all that trouble of shipping it back (and especially considering how extraordinarily rarely CPUs actually break down or are defective), I would personally opt for memtest86-ing at least one stick and trying that (free program, in case you're wondering). But your mileage may vary.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 15 May 2016 - 09:22 AM.

• Ganrich likes this

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

to be honest, I am reluctant to buy a third set of RAM just to get it working with this particular CPU, who knows how many RAM kits I will have to go through before I find one that'll be perfectly compatible with this CPU.

that's presuming RAM is to blame. I am willing to allow the possibility that this CPU has a defect, maybe QA at the assembly plant just didn't catch it, or maybe it got fried when I first installed it, I don't know. I'd much rather get my 300$ back at this point, to be honest. and spend it on a newer CPU + motherboard combo

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts

memtest86

• sorophx likes this

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

status report: my brand new GFX card (which is not on warranty) stopped working after this whole new CPU business. the cooler is spinning, but Windows can't see it. it can see my other older card, though. I'm about to throw this PC out the window...

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts

Ship it to me instead, :D

Edited by Bartimaeus, 16 May 2016 - 07:06 AM.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1824 posts

status report: my brand new GFX card (which is not on warranty) stopped working after this whole new CPU business. the cooler is spinning, but Windows can't see it. it can see my other older card, though. I'm about to throw this PC out the window...

Try reinstalling the GPU driver using DDU.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

actually, it doesn't get detected by the motherboard, I should've said. if I disable the integrated Intel HD GFX chip, the mobo beeps once and restarts, enabling the Intel HD forcefully. the old card gets to the Windows, but crashes when watching videos or playing games. 

there's definitely something funky going on with the drivers, but the fact that the newer card stopped being detected after a bunch of CPU malfunctions is really weirding me out

Edited by sorophx, 16 May 2016 - 10:26 AM.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1824 posts

actually, it doesn't get detected by the motherboard, I should've said. if I disable the integrated Intel HD GFX chip, the mobo beeps once and restarts, enabling the Intel HD forcefully. the old card gets to the Windows, but crashes when watching videos or playing games. 

there's definitely something funky going on with the drivers, but the fact that the newer card stopped being detected after a bunch of CPU malfunctions is really weirding me out

Hmm, I would think that the MB is faulty then, sounds to me like it's slowly dying. Could be that the north bridge on the mobo is faulty.

Edited by Sarex, 16 May 2016 - 11:35 AM.

• sorophx likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts

Yeah, NOW I would want to start testing stuff in a different PC entirely...but you don't have one. Like I said, hardware troubleshooting is hard when you can't swap stuff out. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus, 16 May 2016 - 11:50 AM.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

I do have a second PC, but it's even older than this one. I'd have to swap PSUs to make it work with the new card

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
bought new notebook for my mother, put in my Windows 7 DVD, BoSD when getting into installation. Found out that there is something called UEFI which literally disable me to install older windows on it. Disabled everything UEFI related in BIOS. Installation complete. Computer constantly restarting without getting into Windows. Going to mass killing spree in Microsoft eminent....

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Monitor is going wonky(technical term). At least I think it's the monitor anyway. Video and games look pretty bad and pictures look weird (another technical term) while scrolling. Second monitor seems to be fine but will try swapping out cables and stuff(final technical term) to see if it makes any difference. Never had issues with a monitor before.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1714 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I see Chrome has changed what happens when clicking on bookmark icons ... from a solid square-button press to an outwardly vibrating pulse thing. I don't like it but I don't know to whom to complain.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1360 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

this isn't exactly a problem but lately my PC turns on by just pressing  a button on the keyboard. that would be normal if i put it to "sleep" but i turn it off with "shut down" so it should only turn on by pressing the power button. i don't remember ever changing something in the BIOS to allow for that sort of thing and a couple of weeks ago when i took apart my keyboard to clean it, the PC didn't turn on as i was putting the buttons back (and consequently pressing them)

could it be some new windows 10 feature?

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6999 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Did you check the BIOS anyway ? Might be worth looking at the settings in Windows Power options as well, try turning off fast startup.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts

If it's a laptop, it might be in the hybrid hibernate mode...but I wouldn't expect that to be enabled on a desktop (but you can check by holding down shift when clicking the shutdown buttons, and then seeing if it still boots up while "shut down"). Otherwise, yes, it's possible there's a BIOS setting, so check for that if you're really concerned about it.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 05 November 2016 - 11:07 AM.

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1824 posts

Could it be the fast startup thing? I think that it's a type of hibernation. I got a code 40 on my mb and when I goolged it I got that it's for when the PC starts up from hibernation, which is strange because I disabled fast start up, but it's seems one of the updates re-enabled it...

Edited by Sarex, 05 November 2016 - 01:43 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts

Had a look at the event logger ?.

Nevermind, that's not going be useful

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RAM, PSU, failure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users