Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good Old Games

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I didn't know Fallout ever went away, I had them for the duration as I did a playthrough of both, strange. That said I hope New Vegas comes out eventually, at that point I think Steam might go the way of the Dodo, it's just so irritating and cumbersome with how little I use it in comparison to GOG.

Gizmo

Gizmo

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 808 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I didn't know Fallout ever went away, I had them for the duration as I did a playthrough of both, strange.

Once the transfer became final, and Interplay could not sell Fallout, the Fallout games disappeared from the open catalog. Existing owners kept them in their accounts, but no new purchases were possible.

*They've done this with other titles as well. XIII is gone ~unless you had it in your account.

GoG was really awesome too, they made the Fallout games free for a time.

Edited by Gizmo, 26 August 2015 - 09:13 AM.

• Nonek likes this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Odd. I have Fallout, Fallout 2 and Tactics from before they disappeared and now that they're back I could purchase them again because the game titles are not an exact match (Fallout Classic vs. Fallout). Just a heads-up, take care you don't buy something you already own.

Bought the Bethesda and ID bundles. While I didn't really like Morrowind I wanted Daggerfall and Arena just for, uhm, nostalgia's sake. :)

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Interesting article here on the rights issues surrounding the Gold Box/ SSI D&D games recently released on GOG. No mention of the unreleased classic D&D games there that I can see like the Dark Sun games or Stone Prophet but it seems that the ownership rights were with a pretty random company who did sell them outright to GOG, so they are probably coming at a later date.

Will be interesting to see if Bethesda does release any of their later games. Oblivion and FO3 were both effectively drm free on disk release already- so long as you avoided the launcher but it would be pretty nifty to get a DRM free Dishonoured or FONV eventually.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The sale containing System Shock 2 is back. To quote myself from the last GOG thread:

Respect the will of the many. Glory to the flesh. Glory to the mass.

;)

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer

The incredible Adventures of Van Helsing I and II 

Yes or No?

Haven't played any quality Diablo clone for ages, and right now it's on sale...  The setting for me is really appealing, but Path of Exile and Torchlight was kind of boring to me :( Haven't played and not planning to play Diablo III, because of the online only ridiculousness...

GOG also confirmed that Final Cut will be for free for all owners of all three games >link<, so getting it now for me is really really tempting...

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I cast a "Yes" vote on VH1 & 2. I enjoyed 1 well enought until I ran into a boss I couldnt kill. Bought 2 because why not but havent played it yet.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I also say yes

I never got 1 to work but I enjoyed 2 and I don't usually go for Diablo clones

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ok, purchased, we'll see how I will like the game O.o

At least now I have someone to blame, if I will not like it :p

It will take some time, before I download 10GB of data :(

Edited by Mamoulian War, 14 September 2015 - 08:09 AM.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3658 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Had I been here in time, I would have recommended Grim Dawn.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6599 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

Had I been here in time, I would have recommended Grim Dawn.

Great game, even if still unfinished.  Granted, the last time I played it was nearly a year ago.  I made the decision then that I didn't want to get burnt out on the game before it actually fully released, hence I won't touch it again until then.

Edited by Keyrock, 14 September 2015 - 09:17 AM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4532 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

^Yeah kind of my feeling too.  I've toyed with it, but don't want to invest heavily until it is done.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The other day I had to buy NWN2 from GoG because it no longer installs to Windows 8.1 from media. *sigh* This will be the fourth time I've bought the game; I mainly load it for the toolset and the ability to play custom modules.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1373 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
I have one of the pretty few copies on Steam, fortunately. original.gif

(e): ...though I have no idea if it works on Windows 8.1 or greater. What's the problem with the DVD?

Edited by Bartimaeus, 14 September 2015 - 03:14 PM.

Nonek

Nonek

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I was always surprised that there was not a bigger outcry when IGN shut down the Neverwinter Vault and so many content packs and modules were lost, sure thanks to the good works of an independent curator many of the high profile works were saved but still it just shows how low curation is on the corporate scale. It's all about that next big sale, never about a catalogue of work and a history.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1373 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
I didn't know about that. That's pretty disappointing. Was there not even a warning that it was going to happen?

Nonek

Nonek

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No none whatsoever, which is why so much was lost apparently, truly a waste.

Edit: That said the new Vault is doing sterling work and implementing most of the old content, which is a Herculean task in and of itself.

Edited by Nonek, 15 September 2015 - 06:15 AM.

• Labadal likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6838 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
http://www.gog.com/n...se_system_shock

System Shock: Enhanced Edition now comes with official support for resolutions up to 1024x768 (compared to the original 640x480), and a native 854x480 widescreen mode. Gameplay is streamlined with a toggleable mouselook mode, including more intuitive inventory and item management. Combined with assorted bug-fixes and remappable controls, System Shock is now truly enhanced. Still, some gaming experiences are truly worth preserving, so you can also return to the authentic 90's gameplay with System Shock: Classic - ready for modern systems, completely unaltered in all other aspects.

• Labadal likes this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

L-l-l-ook at me buy-buying thththis immediatly. :D

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And it actually looks like a potentially worthwhile purchase even if you own the CD version/ System Shock Portable since it isn't just base game + SS2Tool as the System Shock 2 release was but has improvements like persistent settings and a windows executable.

Night Dive actually owns the System Shock IP now so there might even be sequels- potentially pretty cool if they can find the right devs. The SS2 re-release has sold well over 1.5 million copies (and more on GOG than Steam, despite the bundles it has been in being steam keys) so they've got a decent base to aim at even if a lot of those sales have been at a lower price point than even the $10 base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users