Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good Old Games

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3488 posts

Alan Wake on sale on GOG as well. 90% off

Is it any good?

It's $2.99, who cares if it's good.

• SonicMage117 likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1814 posts

Is it any good?

It is. And the music makes that game, which is ironic.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6838 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is it any good?

Wasted money is still wasted money.

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 675 posts

And digital clutter is real. I've stopped with collecting free games as all they do is collect e-dust.
  • ShadySands and Malcador like this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3488 posts

Is it any good?

If it looks interesting and it's cheap I would most likely get a game, this game was actually recommended to me a few years back when it came out but I put it off. Now that its so cheap I would like to see if it was worth it. 
Point is that the risk is minimal.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Fair enough, but as someone who used to laugh at steam users' multi hundred game collections that they'd never get through I do now find myself with 300+ games on GOG, and an extra 3 this weekend. The 'cheap as a coffee so why not buy' psychology is definitely real.

• SadExchange and sorophx like this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3488 posts

Fair enough, but as someone who used to laugh at steam users' multi hundred game collections that they'd never get through I do now find myself with 300+ games on GOG, and an extra 3 this weekend. The 'cheap as a coffee so why not buy' psychology is definitely real.

I figure I will need something to do when I retire.

• sorophx likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6838 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is it any good?

If it looks interesting and it's cheap I would most likely get a game, this game was actually recommended to me a few years back when it came out but I put it off. Now that its so cheap I would like to see if it was worth it. 
Point is that the risk is minimal.

Well, point was that to me $2.99 lost is still notable. I am just frugal :thumbsup: Funnily enough I actually bought Alan Wake nearly 4 years ago when it was 80% off.
  • Azdeus likes this

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2747 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I did that too i guess and then i set it to invisible in my gog library.  It probably deserves that too. :grin:

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
New Turn Based RPG released om GOG.

Regalia: Of men and Monarchs

https://www.gog.com/...en_and_monarchs
  • Labadal likes this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3488 posts

Got it, tried it and I think I won't be buying any western JRPGs for the near future. It's just a weak imitation of cultural norms made by people that don't understand them and that avoid any originality that it might have in order to be more like the Japanese cliches. 

All in all the same issues that these type of games run into, combat isn't as calculated and refined as JRPGS (very far from it) dialog comes off as awkward, stiff and unnatural (probly because they're trying to sound like anime dubs). 

Full disclosure I barely played 10 minutes into the game and I"m already dissapointed, I hope to be wrong but this seems to be more of a fan project than an actual game.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why? I mean... Music is just as important in gaming as it is in any other media.

I've played 45 min so far and from what I can tell, the narration and voice acting is what will make it good for me. I'm okay with horror if it's done right, I loved The Evil Within and I'm getting the vibe of that from Alan Wake mixed with some Max Payne stylised drama. None of which is bad in my world.

Edited by SonicMage117, 18 May 2017 - 09:56 PM.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3488 posts

Why? I mean... Music is just as important in gaming as it is in any other media.

I've played 45 min so far and from what I can tell, the narration and voice acting is what will make it good for me. I'm okay with horror if it's done right, I loved The Evil Within and I'm getting the vibe of that from Alan Wake mixed with some Max Payne stylished drama. Nine of which is bad in my world.

Good horror games are 90 % ambiance. 

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I love that, even if they are usually good for one playthrough. Soma was amazing to me as well, the game wasn't so much jump-scares but just that "what you don't see is scariest" type of thing. It was like a 6 hour game and $29.99 at launch, I'll probably never play it again but it was so worth it :D

On the other side of the coin, I didn't like Outlast, I got it for $4.99 and refunded it. Something about the game was giving me a headache. Not sure if it was the color pallette but I never got to actually finish it, regretfully.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Got it, tried it and I think I won't be buying any western JRPGs for the near future. It's just a weak imitation of cultural norms made by people that don't understand them and that avoid any originality that it might have in order to be more like the Japanese cliches.

All in all the same issues that these type of games run into, combat isn't as calculated and refined as JRPGS (very far from it) dialog comes off as awkward, stiff and unnatural (probly because they're trying to sound like anime dubs).

Full disclosure I barely played 10 minutes into the game and I"m already dissapointed, I hope to be wrong but this seems to be more of a fan project than an actual game.

Sorry to hear that, haven't played it yet. Hope, it get's better.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6838 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've played 45 min so far and from what I can tell, the narration and voice acting is what will make it good for me. I'm okay with horror if it's done right, I loved The Evil Within and I'm getting the vibe of that from Alan Wake mixed with some Max Payne stylised drama. None of which is bad in my world.
Well they had to stop selling it due to music licensing which was what Sarex was getting at
  • SonicMage117 likes this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3633 posts

Fitting that it costs as much as a cup of coffee, because the main gameplay of Alan Wake is collecting coffee thermoses.

• Malcador likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well they had to stop selling it due to music licensing which was what Sarex was getting at
Oh yeah, that!

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Mount and Blade is currently free if anyone is interested

• sorophx and SonicMage117 like this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If you like space shooters.

Everspace out of Early Access/In Development today.

https://www.gog.com/...lease_everspace

Edited by Mamoulian War, 26 May 2017 - 03:07 AM.

• Malcador likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users