About helping Verzano (or not)

I'm a bit confused by this. I don't care what the "best" choice per se, just what should make sense for my character. I'm playing as someone from Old Vailia who left their home due to a failed uprising they took part in. I don't know enough about this setting to really understand how that would interact with certain choices.

If I've got this straight in my head, Verzano is from the Vailian Republics, a different nation from Old Vailia but one clearly related to it, like if the medieval Italian city states were unified, with Rome off on its own. So would my character feel kinship with people from the Republics or actually dislike them? Is it like the UK and US where we have that "special relationship", as they say?

Also, in terms of the rebellious past, I feel like I should stick up for the underdogs in general, yet I'm not sure if in the long run the family Verzano has crossed are the underdogs of the three factions available in Defiance Bay. I also notice that killing Verzano and his men give me a mild negative reputation hit with the city as a whole - but is that the people of the city being annoyed at that, or the government of the city?

If it helps, the people who want to kill him are basically the Mafia. But the reason they want to kill him was because he was infringing on their drug dealing. I don't think your character's background need influence your decision.

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

That does help, thanks. I guess it's not really a huge choice in the big scheme of things, it just felt a bit more important because Pallegina led me into it. That and it's a literal matter of life and death for someone.

_ Just don't help him, or you will close 2 or more quests from the mafia family :)

Not really:

You can go to the house with the thieves, get the letter and bring it to the Doemenel estate. They will let you in and you can continue their questline.

_ Hmm I mean if i help Verzano, i will have to kill the girl from Doemenel family, and later her future husband and a bunch of his followers engage me lol. Killing all of them make a huge rep negative and i think that makes me pretty much can't follow Doemenel family line of quests. Actually i've never helped Verzano before, will try to see after helping him, can i join Doemenel later or not :D

:banana:Fighter build to solo PotD and Endless Path :banana:

I saved him and the Doemenel's didn't take it well (luckly I had already done the quest to sort out attacks on the Salty Marsh involving them) as that what my character would do. I've lost count of the amount of assassins I've killed with notes of the Doemenel's price on our heads including the women's fiancée. It's just become a thing now as I go through Defiance Bay 'oh, another group of would-be assassins to steam-roll' like annoying flies. The choice has it's own fun, but yeah you won't be working with the Doemenels without a workaround.

Suffice to say, my PC isn't on the Doemenel's Christmas list ;)

• Like 1

I think if you get your reputation with the Doemenels negative enough the rate of assassins slows or stops - they are too frightened of you.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I think if you get your reputation with the Doemenels negative enough the rate of assassins slows or stops - they are too frightened of you.

Ah good news for the young would-be assassin population of Defiance Bay everywhere, though the undertakers business will slow done a little :) .

But more seriously interesting information, after so many times it gets a little annoying when you just want to get from a to b.

Not sure if you're still looking for info, but the Vailian Republics are basically a league of revolter city-states who broke off from the Vailian empire and band together to protect themselves, so if your character rebelled against the empire themselves they'd probably be pretty well disposed towards the republics, or at least find their existence politically satisfying. Old Vailia doesn't really have a strong voice in the proceedings since none of your party members are from over there, but I'd assume they'd happily swallow the republics back up given the chance.

That being said, Verzano himself is not necessarily a credit to said republics. As Pallegina herself points out, he's basically outlived his usefulness and become a drain on resources rather than an asset to them, which is why he's muscling in on the Doemnels' racket in a desperate bid to salvage his profits. So yeah, I'd say the more relevant factor here is how much of a good guy you want your character to be and how merciful they are towards an obvious scumbag who just tried to throw them under the bus and is now pleading for help.

Personally, I left him to answer for his own actions, which pleased Pallegina and was pretty alright with everybody except Verzano himself of course. But then, my character was a Pirate whose chief motivation was being pissed at the fact he tried to pass off a high-risk job with a basic fetch-and-deliver rate of pay, so obviously that's quite a different angle to approach it from.

Edited by Aea
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Verzano is basically a smuggler who interfered with Doemenels contraband. That's why Pallegina won't protect him anymore... Killing him is one of the ways to be introduced to the Doemenels but it's not required (there are 2 other ways to join them).

Verzano is basically a smuggler who interfered with Doemenels contraband. That's why Pallegina won't protect him anymore... Killing him is one of the ways to be introduced to the Doemenels but it's not required (there are 2 other ways to join them).

Thanks, yeah I got it all clear now.