#RedditRevolt

kirottu

Reddit is pretty much the front page of the internet.

Not really. It's simply a humongous waste of bandwidth, digital mediocrity of the most egregious sort.

Same thing.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't really use reddit but I'm surprised that people hadn't abandoned that hellhole for something better long ago.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I know quite a few mods have expressed frustration with the current admins, Victoria seems to be the only one that people actually liked, hence the outrage. I know the main mod of KiA has expressed frustration with the double standards of the admins (the boycott threads were banned on KiA but no other sub), and they have been silent on his requests for clarification of the harassment policy because there hasn't actually been any stated policy and people are paranoid that the admins are specifically not telling KiA the policy in hopes it violates it and gets banned.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/03/estimated-6-million-readers-affected-as-reddit-moderators-revolt-against-corrupt-management/

I should point out the provenance - Breitbart, if you are unfamiliar with it, is unashamedly pro-libertarian / right wing / Tea Party-ish (I mainly read it for Milo, whose lulz-worthy troll / journalism gets snarkier, wilder and stronger all the time).

However, partisanship aside, this is an ak-chew-al piece of journalism. It has sources and everything.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Meanwhile, the competitor Voat had their hosting company pull the plug because there were rumors of politically incorrect material on the site and Paypal had their account temporarily suspended.

These progressives are progressing beyond the reactionaries.

• Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wasn't that weeks ago, though?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Wasn't that weeks ago, though?

The hosting problem, yes. Paypal was most recent along with astroturfing about CP and DDos attacks. Now, where have heard of a situation similar to this, i wonder.

Some nice info on the corporate culture at Reddit: (Dacvak is the former community manager)

Kpwip77.jpg

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The funniest thing in all of this, is that redditors think they are Reddit's customers.

They're not.

Advertisers are Reddit's customers.

• Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

???

Reddit's community knows all too well that they are not the website's customers: hence the campaign against buying reddit gold as well as turning on advertisement blocking plugins. They're not reddit's "customers", but they have some influence over how happy those customers will be.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Surprised people don't use adblockers already, to be honest.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

???

Reddit's community knows all too well that they are not the website's customers

I dunno, I've seen a bunch of comments along the lines of "How can a company treat us customers this way, that's so unprofessional!!" etc.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I don't think I've ever seen the actual word "customers" used in relation to redditors at any point over the past year or so I've been on reddit. Perhaps you've been on reddit longer than I have and know better, :): I'm sure there are people who have, but I seriously doubt it's in any way a significant proportion.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Petition: Step down as CEO of Reddit Inc. Has over 100 000 signatures.

The funny thing, was that petition was up for a while. I think just before the fatpeoplehate ban. From then until right before Victoria's firing it had gotten like 10k signatures. In the last 2 days it got the other 90k.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

@Bartimaeus Heh. I'm not following any of this on reddit itself; the comments I've seen are from (presumptive) redditors on twitter etc.

• Like 1

The amount of prejudice (and possibly ignorance) in this thread is a little surprising to me. What's made the lot of you hate reddit so much? :)

The amount of prejudice (and possibly ignorance) in this thread is a little surprising to me. What's made the lot of you hate reddit so much? :)

Its not moderated enough and it allows these bizarre subcultures to exist and gives them a voice in its own limited way. When people are allowed to say what they want with no sense of consequence they start to believe what they are saying and this leads to anti-social behavior and perspectives 

Of course this doesn't apply to all of reddit, I am just highlighting the issues I have with it as you asked  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's as moderated as the moderators want to spend time moderating it. Obviously, for the larger subs, it's harder to maintain a cohesive subreddit culture a la what you'd find here on the Obsidian forums, where you probably have sub-100 active posting users (particularly if we're considering different sections analogous to different subreddits: then the number is surely even lower for individual sections). That's the result of having thousands to tens of thousands of active posters...and that's why you branch out to smaller and more tight-knit subreddits. Besides for really rare cases, I never bother posting in the larger subreddits, because there's no sense of community and unless you're one of the first posters into a topic, basically nobody's going to read your post, anyways. Smaller subreddits, functionality and community-wise, are often pretty analogous to a forums like these...it's just a matter of finding them.

Reddit serves as a great collection of little communities that you can integrate yourself into: if I want to discuss Frozen 2 years after it's released because I just watched it for the first time recently, reddit is pretty much the only forum-type website where I could possibly do that that's going to have any amount of activity...because though the Frozen subcommunity will be small by reddit standards, reddit is huge, and it doesn't take too much effort to stay "current" with smaller subreddits that are a little slower than others...and if something interest pops up, a bunch of people will still see it and be able to interact with each other...whereas a forums-website specifically dedicated to Frozen will surely have died off by now. Furthermore, due to the mechanics of reddit, subreddits aren't usually as susceptible to "forum politics" as much as actual forums...since it's much easier to hold people - even moderators - responsible for their insane actions/opinions via downvotes. This, in itself, sometimes has problems, but in my opinion, usually does a decent job at hiding stuff most decent people don't want to see and highlighting, at the very least, O.K. stuff. And if you want the stuff that's controversial, well, it's usually still there if not actually breaking the rules of reddit and/or the subreddit - just go down. ;)

"When people are allowed to say what they want with no sense of consequence they start to believe what they are saying and this leads to anti-social behavior and perspectives"

They are held accountable: by moderators and by user downvotes: that's more accountable than you'd ever find on a forum like this, where people like Volourn are able to launch personal attacks constantly and with seemingly zero consequences...so I'm not sure what you're talking about. :huh: Reddit has problems, certainly...but so would any large website with its gigantic number of users in the larger subreddits. That's why you go to the smaller ones...and the ones not directly related to size are different, but IMO equal, problems compared to any forums.

(e): English, more thoughts.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

It's as moderated as the moderators want to spend time moderating it. Obviously, for the larger subs, it's harder to maintain a cohesive subreddit culture a la what you'd find here on the Obsidian forums, where you probably have sub-100 active posting users (particularly if we're considering different sections analogous to different subreddits: then the number is surely even lower for individual sections). That's the result of having thousands to tens of thousands of active posters...and that's why you branch out to smaller and more tight-knit subreddits. Besides for really rare cases, I never bother posting in the larger subreddits, because there's no sense of community and unless you're one of the first posters into a topic, basically nobody's going to read your post, anyways. Smaller subreddits, functionality and community-wise, are often pretty analogous to a forums like these...it's just a matter of finding them.

Reddit serves as a great collection of little communities that you can integrate yourself into: if I want to discuss Frozen 2 years after it's released because I just watched it for the first time recently, reddit is pretty much the only forum-type website where I could possibly do that that's going to have any amount of activity...because though the Frozen subcommunity will be small by reddit standards, reddit is huge, and it doesn't take too much effort to stay "current" with smaller subreddits that are a little slower than others...and if something interest pops up, a bunch of people will still see it and be able to interact with each other...whereas a forums-website specifically dedicated to Frozen will surely have died off by now. Furthermore, due to the mechanics of reddit, subreddits aren't usually as susceptible to "forum politics" as much as actual forums...since it's much easier to hold people - even moderators - responsible for their insane actions/opinions via downvotes. This, in itself, sometimes has problems, but in my opinion, usually does a decent job at hiding stuff most decent people don't want to see and highlighting, at the very least, O.K. stuff. And if you want the stuff that's controversial, well, it's usually still there if not actually breaking the rules of reddit and/or the subreddit - just go down. ;)

"When people are allowed to say what they want with no sense of consequence they start to believe what they are saying and this leads to anti-social behavior and perspectives"

They are held accountable: by moderators and by user downvotes: that's more accountable than you'd ever find on a forum like this, where people like Volourn are able to launch personal attacks constantly and with seemingly zero consequences...so I'm not sure what you're talking about. :huh: Reddit has problems, certainly...but so would any large website with its gigantic number of users in the larger subreddits. That's why you go to the smaller ones...and the ones not directly related to size are different, but IMO equal, problems compared to any forums.

(e): English, more thoughts.

Fair enough, you make some good points in support of reddit. I can understand why people would want to create an unusual or possibly older discussion like that example you gave about Frozen 2. You wouldn't have the same number of people participating in that type of discussion if you created a thread like that on these forums 

So then what went wrong in your opinion? It seems that the reddit admins don't really understand the relevance or importance of the moderators that maintain the smaller discussions and subreddits ? Is that why there is "reddit revolt "  from some forums ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela