Esports still on the rise

I actually was around when Dota started. I think I started playing it when there was version 3.something I think (but don't remember exactly, its almost 10 years now)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Umm, DotA's brand of balance always was and will be "Everything is OP, just differently".

That's balanced, though. It's only really an issue when one character or comp is far more OP than the rest (or is OP while the rest isn't).

Also not a DotA player, but I reckon the game is balanced around the character's usual strength level, even if taking one of these and placing him as is in the context of LoL or something might make him OP.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Eh, I dunno. I had horrible luck with passive stuns and generally wasn't either good nor experienced. Some heroes and combos did stand out though, like Bloodrazor with his "tons of damage if you move" ult coupled with the Force Staff that moved anyone you clicked on - just enough to get killed by said ult, of course.

Eh, I dunno. I had horrible luck with passive stuns and generally wasn't either good nor experienced. Some heroes and combos did stand out though, like Bloodrazor with his "tons of damage if you move" ult coupled with the Force Staff that moved anyone you clicked on - just enough to get killed by said ult, of course.

well, buy Linken, problem solved, Bloodseeker is for sure not OP hero :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

well, buy Linken, problem solved, Bloodseeker is for sure not OP hero :)

Not worth spending that much gold just to counter Bloodseeker tbh. Just carry tps, and tp home if he uses the ult on you. Bloodseeker ultimate spell is good vs new/bad players, terrible vs experienced players. A bloodseeker with forcestaff isn't gonna trouble the opponents carry players much. :)

Edited by Thingolfin

• 7 months later...

eSports can be amazing if people actually attend the events. It's kinda like E3, if you're lucky enough to actually go, it's life changing (literally)...

However, if people don't go then they don't care about ot and put it down but... their opinion is invalid because ummm... they didn't go lol

I like eSports because it pushes ajd heps the game industry and the community unlike anything else.

Evo Waifu is an awesome event and has some truly amazing games and players but if you're not into then it won't matter I guess. This should be obvious but it's not.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Valve unveiled SKYNET at TI today.  :shifty:

That was actually scary to see how efficient the thing was. good it's only limited to a simple laning

For now...  :-

#SaveUsJohnConnor

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Terminator 6 has officially began production!

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

• 1 year later...

I'm performing a bit of thread Necromancy now that the The International 8 main event has begun.

GabeN brought out the memes for his intro.  :lol:

On a more serious note, that was a pretty great opening performance.  For as much money as is on the line and that went into the production of this tourney, I suppose it better be.

Anyway, I'm cheering on all the NA teams (Evil Geniuses, Optic Gaming, and VGJ Storm) and Mineski (because IceIceIce).  I think VGJ Storm is a dark horse to win this all, that team is hitting its stride at just the right time.  Virtus Pro are the favorites, though.  They dominated this year.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Fighting game competitions seems to be making all the money in Esports, I never knew EVO even fell into the catagory of Esports but I suppose it makes sense.

OG are my wild card

OG are my wild card

In years past they were favorites entering The International, but after the roster changes I don't think many people expect them to go that far.  With NoTail and JerAx still on the squad, I wouldn't put it past them to make a deep run.

Edit:  Damn, the defending champs just STEAMROLLED Optic.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yep, Liquid is running hot

Dota 2 championship happened today, apparently barely anyone watched it this year. I think they've all moved onto Evo, Combo Breaker and ESL.

I can't blame people for focusing on the important stuff.

Edited by SonicMage117

I don't think it was intended as such, but I really love tipping that they added to DotA 2.  A player tipping an opposing team player after making him look like a fool is next-level BM.  I love it.  :devil:

Kinda sucks we had 2 SEA team go out of the tourney today.  I always find them highly entertaining.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Dota 2 championship happened today, apparently barely anyone watched it this year. I think they've all moved onto Evo, Combo Breaker and ESL.

It's still ongoing. There was a viewership increase compared to last year - 10% increase or so in the group stages.

^ He's obviously trolling, Thingolfin, it's what SonicMage does.

Anyway, on the slate for today we have 2 upper bracket matches:

VGJ Storm vs OG

EG vs Secret

I honestly have a hard time in choosing a winner for both of these.  If I had to choose at gunpoint I'd go with VGJ Storm and Secret, but both of those are 55/45 IMHO and could go either way.

Then we have 2 lower bracket matches:

Optic Gaming vs Serenity

Virtus Pro vs Mineski

I favor Optic in the first match largely because it's a BO3.  In a BO1 I would give Serenity a 50/50 chance because they're so unpredictable, but in a BO3 I think ultimately the better team wins and I think Optic are the better team.  In the second match I have Virtus Pro winning.  They looked pretty bad yesterday and VP always seems to be a disappointment at TI relative to their performance earlier in the year, but I just can't see the team that most people had as favorites entering the tourney going out THIS early.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

^ He's obviously trolling, Thingolfin, it's what SonicMage does.

When have I trolled on the forums? Or are you just saying that because you don't like what I have to say most of the time? (Usuaul stereotype behavioral for forum users).

But no, Steam was broadcasting live and had much less viewers than last year, maybe Twitch had different statistics, I don't know.

Anyway, Evo still holds the record for most viewers this year for a gaming tournement.

It's not really trolling, Sonic just has a hyperbolic posting style where all of his opinions, even if spot on, sound obnoxious. He is hardly the worst we have seen over the last couple decades of this forum stuff. Take everything with a grain of salt, etc. :p

Also good to remember he likely is younger than this forum.