Dragon Age: Inquisition vs The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Dragon Age: Inquisition vs The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which one, in your opinion, is the superior game?

• Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

It's mature in the way that CD Project Red doesn't give a **** what you, the prude american audience or anyone else thinks. They've written the story and characters they wanted, regardless of current political trends. To me, that's a sign of maturity.

Bull. It's there because sex sells.

Really? I was under the impression that most game developers steered clear of anything even resembling sex in games because the big retailers (in America) would simply refuse to sell the game altogether. 18+ rating or whatever it's called. But feel free to explain your reasoning as to why almost noone except CD Project Red dares touch the subject.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's called Steam, I imagine. I'm not in America, but I know loads of computer games that feature sex and nudity as a selling point.

It's never "mature", because mature people have real sex, so don't need to look for pretend sex in computer games.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Thought they touted the setting for the game-level maturity more than the nudity, isn't that much in TW3, even the sex scenes are tamer. But eh, will have the usual dogs barking about that.

Shame there weren't more ways to affect the political situation in TW3, speaking of the setting, though making Geralt not affect the big game seems to have gone done well for everyone else.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also, the white knights of the forum keeps bleating on about how nudity is not maturity. Well, I say it is, but not for the obvious reason (boobs). It's mature in the way that CD Project Red doesn't give a **** what you, the prude american audience or anyone else thinks. They've written the story and characters they wanted, regardless of current political trends. To me, that's a sign of maturity.

I like how you are a white knight if you think sex scenes are dumb in video games.   :wowey:

Gromnir the White Knight!

This is a fantasy game where you fight monsters, swing swords around, and sleep with gorgeous women.  There is nothing wrong with that, but don't try and fool yourself into thinking it is more than that.  Next you are going to tell us you read Playboy for the great articles and go to Hooters for the delicious wings.

Bioware isn't any better at this either, they just try to tap into the girlish fantasy scenarios by making you romance a bit before you get the obligatory sex scene.  They are both dumb and fairly unimportant to the gameplay or story. 

• Like 2

Also, the white knights of the forum keeps bleating on about how nudity is not maturity. Well, I say it is, but not for the obvious reason (boobs). It's mature in the way that CD Project Red doesn't give a **** what you, the prude american audience or anyone else thinks. They've written the story and characters they wanted, regardless of current political trends. To me, that's a sign of maturity.

I like how you are a white knight if you think sex scenes are dumb in video games.   :wowey:

Gromnir the White Knight!

This is a fantasy game where you fight monsters, swing swords around, and sleep with gorgeous women.  There is nothing wrong with that, but don't try and fool yourself into thinking it is more than that.  Next you are going to tell us you read Playboy for the great articles and go to Hooters for the delicious wings.

Bioware isn't any better at this either, they just try to tap into the girlish fantasy scenarios by making you romance a bit before you get the obligatory sex scene.  They are both dumb and fairly unimportant to the gameplay or story. 

Did you stop wearing a helmet? This post is below you.

No, you don't have to be a SJW if you dislike sex scenes. But it's one way to express your SJW stance, among many others. As I'm sure you know. I stopped reading Gromnir's posts a long time ago, I have no idea what his over-aged, slightly tragic internet persona stands for nowadays.

Yeah, just a game about swinging swords.. and Shindler's List is a movie about a guy transporting people from one place to another. I'm sorry you feel this way as I'm sure you'd be able to appreciate the story more if you were able to comprehend it.

And I would read Playboy if they had the best articles. I would go to Hooters if they had the best wings. Which is kind of the point I was making in my first post.. about maturity. You will not get it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Err, I don't think anyone has said they "dislike" sex scenes. Where they disagree with you is the idea that they are high art.

I really enjoyed Jurassic World, but that didn't stop me thinking "this is a load of old tripe" just the same. You can enjoy something without it being "good".

Edited by Fardragon
  • Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Someday I hope I can be as mature as mkreku.  That way I can understand the comparison between The Witcher and Schindler's List.   :wowey:

Personally I enjoy Hooters for the tight shirts and Playboy for the naked ladies.   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Someday I hope I can be as mature as mkreku.  That way I can understand the comparison between The Witcher and Schindler's List.   wowey4.gif

Personally I enjoy Hooters for the tight shirts and Playboy for the naked ladies.   thumbsup.gif

Did he compare them ? Seems he reduced the plot in a same way, not a comparison. Nor did he claim they are high art. But oh well, usual dogs yapping.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Someday I hope I can be as mature as mkreku.  That way I can understand the comparison between The Witcher and Schindler's List.   wowey4.gif

Personally I enjoy Hooters for the tight shirts and Playboy for the naked ladies.   thumbsup.gif

Did he compare them ? Seems he reduced the plot in a same way, not a comparison. Nor did he claim they are high art. But oh well, usual dogs yapping.

Why bring up a movie about the holocaust in connection with The Witcher at all, then?  

His argument seems to be that it is mature because it spits in the face of puritanical western values.  Then he said my comprehension is not good enough to understand the game story, so maybe it also isn't good enough to understand his point.   :shrugz:

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

Well, that movie is regarded as a good piece of art or whatever, so perhaps he's trying to point out the reduction isn't that much of a weighty criticism. Not particularly as it deals with the Holocaust, seems clear enough. His argument was more that it was mature for them doing what they wanted regardless of worrying about being cowed by puritanical type thinking, rather than it being anti-Western in a shade.

I'll have to wait to hear what you people consider maturity in a game, but I'm not sure you'll get one as you can always bludgeon it with 'power fantasy' as not many people want to play a game where they don't triumph somehow.

I think I'm with HoonDing's mother on this one. Games fundamentally aren't mature, and "maturity" is not a desirable characteristic in a game. If I wanted to be mature I would be marking exam papers like I am supposed to be doing.

• Like 1

Having sex in a video game does not automatically make it mature. That's asinine.

This^^

Voted for the Witcher 3, it´s overall a better game in my opinion.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Why bring up a movie about the holocaust in connection with The Witcher at all, then?  

His argument seems to be that it is mature because it spits in the face of puritanical western values.  Then he said my comprehension is not good enough to understand the game story, so maybe it also isn't good enough to understand his point.   :shrugz:

Well, Radovid was acting kind of Hitler-ish, after all. ;)

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Someday I hope I can be as mature as mkreku. That way I can understand the comparison between The Witcher and Schindler's List. :wowey:

Personally I enjoy Hooters for the tight shirts and Playboy for the naked ladies. :thumbsup:

And I always thought that playboy is about those jokes sections...

But in all seriousness, TW3 has best written quests in all action FP/TP 3D RPGs up to date. The amount of detail tha carries over, the pacing, the more interesting quests like red baron etc.

Sure it has boobies and sex scenes but at least it does better job at them than Bioware attempts in that section.

Edited by Darkpriest

It wouldn't be hard to have better side quests that DA:I, since it has pretty much the worst ever included in a single player game. But it dosn't matter how good the quests are in Witcher 3, I'm not spending good money on it if I can't abide playing Witcher 2. I quite accept that for some players the Witcher character may suit their personalties better than the Inquisitor character. I have heard it said before that Canadian culture has a lot in common with British.

TW3 is the best RPG in years. It's also much better than Witcher 1 & 2, neither of which I managed to play all the way through. I think with the second one I held out for an hour or so. Much of the criticism towards TW3 in this thread is definitely more relevant for the first two games, and it's sort of sad that many won't experience TW3 because they didn't like the previous games in the series.

I am a bit surprised how many people say they did not care for Witcher 2 but loved Witcher 3. It is surprising that you would even buy it at full price in that situation. Personally I will wait for a deep discount before thinking about it.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be hard to have better side quests that DA:I, since it has pretty much the worst ever included in a single player game. But it dosn't matter how good the quests are in Witcher 3, I'm not spending good money on it if I can't abide playing Witcher 2. I quite accept that for some players the Witcher character may suit their personalties better than the Inquisitor character. I have heard it said before that Canadian culture has a lot in common with British.

Canadian culture is just delusion that they're better than Americans, for the most part, and obsession with a stupid bush sport.

Last time I looked, Canadians where Americans.

Most people understand what you mean when you use that though, hard to avoid that as they have it in their formal name. I guess I should have used USian, that always seemed to appease Euro pedants on Slashdot back in the day.

I am a bit surprised how many people say they did not care for Witcher 2 but loved Witcher 3. It is surprising that you would even buy it at full price in that situation. Personally I will wait for a deep discount before thinking about it.

Likely because even though they share the same name, characters, and lore, the actual games are quite different.  The open world itself makes it feel like almost a different game than TW2, simply because you're not constricted to a "narrow path" you need to follow.  Perhaps people enjoyed the freedom of being able to go anywhere they wanted at whatever level they were at, instead of being stuck in a certain region until they cleared the main quest of that region.

The combat, IMO, is also more fun in TW3.  And not to harp on this aspect, but the sidequests were a lot more involved in TW3 than in TW2.  Again, all IMO.

For comparison's sake, it's sort of like how some people loved Resident Evil 4 even if they didn't like Resident Evil 3 and before.  Why?  Because even though they both shared the Resident Evil title, the actual game play or world was different and perhaps more appealing (or in some cases for the diehard RE fans, less appealing).

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)