PLEASE make this game online

Really enjoying this game a ton, actually it looks like what Ive been waiting for, for like 10 years since Neverwinter Nights. Im surprised not to hear an outcry to make this game online, like the legandary NWN, and I´m shocked to read some people wouldn´t think it suited for online play. Its perfect for online, no less!

This game could become way better, than any of those stupidly easy wow clones, we have been seing for the last many years.

If you opened up the possibility, for private servers like nwn had, we could finally have a true online RPG again, and not yet another wow clone where youre hand fed everything.

Please devs, make this game online, and give me and my friends the neverwinter we have been missing for years back original.gif

Maybe not make THIS game online, but have a game within the PoE universe online, with similar style and graphics and everything. Would LOOVE this to happen

I really hope not. I'm enjoying PoE, and the last thing I want is for there to be story-centric stuff spread all over the place in eighteen different places and products I'll never enjoy, let alone get into. The whole franchising thing has gone too far.

It is a mercy that Dragon Age decided to spin off into mediocrity so soon, because nowhere has it been worse in this regard than there, as far as I've noticed.

Even the Elder Scrolls universe, which has a more mainstream and generally less demanding audience than PoE, didn't translate into a very popular online game with that audience. The PoE audience would be even more easily disappointed if an online followup were anything short of a miracle, and even a followup would take resources away from future single player content that we know Obsidian does well.

• Like 1

Really enjoying this game a ton, actually it looks like what Ive been waiting for, for like 10 years since Neverwinter Nights. Im surprised not to hear an outcry to make this game online, like the legandary NWN, and I´m shocked to read some people wouldn´t think it suited for online play. Its perfect for online, no less!

This game could become way better, than any of those stupidly easy wow clones, we have been seing for the last many years.

If you opened up the possibility, for private servers like nwn had, we could finally have a true online RPG again, and not yet another wow clone where youre hand fed everything.

Please devs, make this game online, and give me and my friends the neverwinter we have been missing for years back :)

Maybe not make THIS game online, but have a game within the PoE universe online, with similar style and graphics and everything. Would LOOVE this to happen

If you wanted to make a NWN style game with a toolset that duffers can use, you would have to loose the pretty area design, since they really on artistic skill and perspective trickery, and can't be tiled. You could do something in the manner of Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns.

Edited by Fardragon
  • Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Please devs, make this game online, and give me and my friends the neverwinter we have been missing for years back original.gif

I really hope not. I'm enjoying PoE, and the last thing I want is for there to be story-centric stuff spread all over the place in eighteen different places and products I'll never enjoy, let alone get into. The whole franchising thing has gone too far.

It is a mercy that Dragon Age decided to spin off into mediocrity so soon, because nowhere has it been worse in this regard than there, as far as I've noticed.

Even the Elder Scrolls universe, which has a more mainstream and generally less demanding audience than PoE, didn't translate into a very popular online game with that audience. The PoE audience would be even more easily disappointed if an online followup were anything short of a miracle, and even a followup would take resources away from future single player content that we know Obsidian does well.
To be fair, the format chosen for ESO was very unfortunate. It should have been a small scale co-op experience or if an MMO, then a sandbox - not a PvP-centered themepark that it is. The management wasn't the best either; I never felt like the dev team had a clear, strong vision of what they wanted the game to be and how to incorporate its Elder Scrolls heritage into their plan. Edited by Rosveen

There are only three ways to make enough profit for next big project :1 make POE on console; 2 make POE on tablet;  3 make POE online.

Which way is the easiest one?

Considering they're already pursuing two options for revenue gain that don't fall under any of those three (TCG Spinoff and adding expansion content to the base game respectively) it would seem pretty obvious that the folks at Obsidian disagree with your assessment there.

Also, you do realize that all of these three necessitate major mechanical overhaul, which presents a significant entry cost in both money and development time? Going multi-platform, especially when your game was not designed from the start with multi-platform compatibility in mind, is not just a matter of copy-pasting your existing game data and expecting it to work. The same goes for multiplayer. PoE was designed to be a single player experience not just mechanically, but story-wise as well. Much like with the Baldur's Gate multiplayer options, you'd have one player in the role of the Watcher, making all the decisions and reaping all the benefits, and everybody else in the roles of blank-slate tag-along goobers who are basically just there for the combat. There's also mechanics like disposition which would take quite some remodeling to adapt to a multiplayer setup. I mean heck, right now just NPC priest/paladin companions are already screwed over. This would only get messier with actual active players in the mix.

So with regards to the OP's proposition...no, that kind of conversion does not sound feasible or worthwhile. Even setting aside the issues with trying to adapt what is very clearly mechanics and game structure designed for single player for use with multiplayer (let alone to support persistent worlds), maintaining a functional multiplayer of the kind you're envisioning would require dedicated staff to be committed to it and would greatly increase the game update workload Also, while a modder-friendly toolset would be nice, an NWN-style affair is not something the base coding and design decisions of the game (non-tilebased maps in particular) lend themselves to. For something like this to be implemented, it'd likely be less work and less expense to simply create a standalone title designed to accommodate these features from the ground up. Considering that Obsidian have been quite clear on what kind of games they do want the PoE titles to be though (dedicated single player experience with a heavy focus on the narrative) and that their staff is likely already stretched pretty thin between existing projects, I wouldn't hold my breath in expectation of an NWN-esque spinoff anytime soon.

Edited by Aea

Please devs, make this game online, and give me and my friends the neverwinter we have been missing for years back original.gif

To be fair, the format chosen for ESO was very unfortunate. It should have been a small scale co-op experience or if an MMO, then a sandbox - not a PvP-centered themepark that it is. The management wasn't the best either; I never felt like the dev team had a clear, strong vision of what they wanted the game to be and how to incorporate its Elder Scrolls heritage into their plan.

I haven't actually played ESO, I've just read that it isn't very popular. I've played Oblivion and Skyrim, and was engaged in them for a while, but ultimately lost interest because their balance was bad enough to impair even a single-player experience for me. That's one of the reasons I wasn't interested in ESO. I was skeptical that a team which let very fundamental, well-known balance issues and exploits continue through successive games, could balance an MMO, which requires a whole other set of standards for good balance.

Back to PoE, I find it well balanced enough to keep my interest as a single-player experience, but balancing properly for any online game (MMO or otherwise) would require a different level of balance. It would be a real challenge to figure out how to keep each class interesting and unique while balanced. In a single player game, you don't care if a cipher is more powerful than a barbarian, say, because you can have both in your party and each one brings something unique to the table. In a multiplayer game, nobody's going to want to play an underpowered class.

Overall, we just know that Obsidian can create solid single player experiences, so to attempt a multiplayer experience would be a huge risk no matter how you look at it, and it seems more single player is a more popular idea with their audience anyway.

Edited by Nobear

ESO wasn't done by Bethesda, it was farmed out.

Which isn't to say it was much good. I played it early on, when it had a bit more freedom in character creation than the average MMO (I expect that has all been lost now in the name of balance). Some of the game's early areas and quests where quite nice, before you get into the multiplayer stuff.

Balance never bothered me in ESO games - why should it, when it was just me in the world? It is the lack of interesting characters and clear objectives (aside from self improvement) that caused me to rapidly loose interest.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Balance is only necessary in a multiplayer game if the emphasis is on player vs player.  In party-based cooperative play, not all characters need to be equally effective in combat to be necessary elements of the party's success. I don't think any of the first three editions (no experience with the later ones) of D&D are particularly well-balanced.

Balance is only necessary in a multiplayer game if the emphasis is on player vs player.  In party-based cooperative play, not all characters need to be equally effective in combat to be necessary elements of the party's success. I don't think any of the first three editions (no experience with the later ones) of D&D are particularly well-balanced.

I would largely agree with you, personally. The problem is, there's a large and very loud subset of any popular multiplayer game's player base who will whine (even if it's cooperative) that their class can't do x as well as another class, even though they can do y better, and they will keep whining until the game gets made bland by over-balancing and much of the uniqueness between classes is removed in the name of balance.

So I imagine it's harder to please most players with a multiplayer game than a single player game, all things equal.

It would be great if POE 2 had a single player co-op mode.  Unity might have some kind of network engine built in.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.