Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

No, by all means continue neglecting it. tongue.png

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If your ability to fast-click the mouse or smash the keyboard is the most important thing, it's not an RPG.

ARPGs are a sub-genre of RPGs.

Just because you don't like them, doesn't make it otherwise.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Something that annoys me is this sort of nonsense:

<snip>

This is the sort of ideological twaddle that should be opposed at every turn, the sort of nonsense that GG rails against when it happens to a game that isn't particularly politically correct.

Luckily the thread is not particularly popular:

PyV7lva.jpg

(dropped down to 20% since I took the screenshot)

Edited by Gorth
Profanity
  • Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

When you're on the internet long enough, you will quickly spot shills/****posts and develop a nice ****filter of your own. No community, no matter how pure or idealistic is completely without ****posting.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

<snip>

This is the sort of ideological twaddle that should be opposed at every turn, the sort of nonsense that GG rails against when it happens to a game that isn't particularly politically correct.

PyV7lva.jpg

You guys should just distance yourselves from GG....I honestly fail to understand why you feel the need to support this movement with all the outbursts of controversy. I would be too annoyed to be loyal

Edited by Gorth
Quoted post

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When you're on the internet long enough, you will quickly spot shills/****posts and develop a nice ****filter of your own. No community, no matter how pure or idealistic is completely without ****posting.

Just sounds like a really lazy way of not trying to condemn this behavior  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

<snip>

PyV7lva.jpg

You guys should just distance yourselves from GG....I honestly fail to understand why you feel the need to support this movement with all the outbursts of controversy. I would be too annoyed to be loyal

Its called consistency i believe

Edited by Gorth
Consistency

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

<snip>

PyV7lva.jpg

Its called consistency i believ

Sometimes you need to know when to quit, I know you Czech's can be stubborn but come on man time to jump ship  :p

Edited by Gorth
Quoted post

John Milton 

Just sounds like a really lazy way of not trying to condemn this behavior  :biggrin:

I sometimes call people out on their BS if it is warranted.

Hello, Bruce.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I sometimes call people out on their BS if it is warranted.

Hello, Bruce.

:biggrin:

John Milton 

Oh, here we go:

Not only are they wrong about the very material they are criticing (no emotion, lol, more like expressing wrong feelings), they simply have no grasp of history. Also, am i the only finding the underlying theme sinister?

- Building muscles is bad

- Shielding yourself from emotional vulnurability is bad

- Overcoming yourself to greatness is bad

- Dominate over those seeking to crush you is bad

- Self reliance is bad

It seems like it is better to be passive, emotional and rely on others in the name of "cooperation", now i wonder in whose interest that might be? 

Or maybe, just maybe all these "problematic males" are a symptom of men no longer seeking a higher purpose for themselves, no more heroes to follow, no more greatness to aspire or even trancend to. What's just left is modernity and consumerism. Gee, how strange it is that boys are retreating into videogames....

• Like 3

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

This is really what muricans showing in schools? xD

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Oh, here we go:

Not only are they wrong about the very material they are criticing (no emotion, lol, more like expressing wrong feelings), they simply have no grasp of history. Also, am i the only finding the underlying theme sinister?

- Building muscles is bad

- Shielding yourself from emotional vulnurability is bad

- Overcoming yourself to greatness is bad

- Dominate over those seeking to crush you is bad

- Self reliance is bad

It seems like it is better to be passive, emotional and rely on others in the name of "cooperation", now i wonder in whose interest that might be? 

Or maybe, just maybe all these "problematic males" are a symptom of men no longer seeking a higher purpose for themselves, no more heroes to follow, no more greatness to aspire or even trancend to. What's just left is modernity and consumerism. Gee, how strange it is that boys are retreating into videogames....

I watched the whole video and it makes two valid points

• Rap music and hip hip does reinforce the gangster stereotype for African Americans
  • If you only play games and do nothing else that would be unhealthy

But now the bad

• I only liked one of those shrinks, the one who stated the obvious about how certain stereotypes look good for a reason
  • The other shrinks seemed to making these generalized and cliched platitudes that we have been hearing for years about how " games are bad for you". I found them to be annoying and patronizing
  • They are suppose to be qualified experts in understanding human nature yet seem to suggest that violent games might make you violent. Seriously ....

Yeah this video is not high on my list of credible :)

John Milton 

"ometimes you need to know when to quit, I know you Czech's can be stubborn but come on man time to jump ship "\

Yet you still support SJWs despite all their hatred, sexism, threats of violence, bullying, and other evil things they've done. Hypocrite much?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"ometimes you need to know when to quit, I know you Czech's can be stubborn but come on man time to jump ship "\

Yet you still support SJWs despite all their hatred, sexism, threats of violence, bullying, and other evil things they've done. Hypocrite much?

Thats true but thats because they part of a better society so despite mistakes  the good intentions are more important  :dancing:

John Milton 

Thats true but thats because they part of a better society so despite mistakes  the good intentions are more important  :dancing:

Road to hell etc. etc.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Thats true but thats because they part of a better society so despite mistakes  the good intentions are more important "

\So.. harassing women and minorities is full of good intentions? Threatening to break a woman's neck is good and acceptable? COME ON. Laughing at woman who got raped and claiming that donating money to a rape victim is immoral is acceptable behaviour? COME ON.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sometimes you need to know when to quit

Pot, meet kettle.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If your ability to fast-click the mouse or smash the keyboard is the most important thing, it's not an RPG.

ARPGs are a sub-genre of RPGs.

Just because you don't like them, doesn't make it otherwise.

Just because I think something is misnamed doesn't mean I dislike it.  If you read the rest of that post, you'd have seen me praising Dark Souls and the combat system of Kingdoms of Amalur, both so-called ARPGs.

Quite the fear mongering in that video. Was I the only one who had the urge to vomit all over Ashley Birche's face?

Your sexual fetishes are your own thing man.

At any rate I don't think I'm going to watch the video because I'd rather play vidya or watch something good with my time. I take it I'm not missing anything but the same talking points?

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

More fun from Tale of Tales, the developers behind Sunset:

https://archive.is/XuLWO

Some choice quotes:

We don’t need theories about the correlation between violent games and violent behavior. Many players of violent and antagonistic games engage in violent and antagonistic behavior. Whether violent people are attracted to games or games arouse violent emotions is irrelevant. Anyone who has ever been attacked by a gamer lynch party knows that a certain number of people who play antagonistic and violent games are aggressive, intolerant, reactionary, misogynist, and so on.

The game industry actively breeds a group of belligerent hooligans for profit. And the longer this process continues, the tighter the vicious circle becomes: only violent games sell well, so only those get made, so only violent people buy games, and so on.
A game industry that claims to support tolerance and respect is hypocritical as long as it produces and supports entertainment in which the wounding and killing of others is central to the amusement.

I think game developers, as creative people, probably middle class, probably intellectuals, underestimate how unstable some members of their audience are, how isolated they live, how little access they have to education and broader culture, how little context to place these games in that are so important to their sense of self. We could help these people with entertainment that demonstrates the beauty of life, the value of non-violent interactions, how much better it feels to care than to hurt, how big and diverse the world is, and so on.
A game developer who claims to be a peaceful tolerant person while producing murder simulators is a hypocrite. I will not accuse them of being directly responsible for mass shootings and online harassment. But they are beyond a doubt guilty of neglecting to prevent such things.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

"Attacked by a gamer lynch party"?

Who are these mythical people that have been attacked by a gamer lynch party, pray tell?

Edit:  Now I have a pretty hilarious image in my head of greasy, overweight, pimply gamers frothing at the mouth and smashing hipsters with pink hair with XBOX 360 controllers and choking them with the cord.

Come to think of it, maybe that is the reason behind the move to wireless controllers? scratching_chin.gif

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Probably should just shake my head and move on, but...

More fun from Tale of Tales, the developers behind Sunset:

https://archive.is/XuLWO

Some choice quotes:

We don’t need theories about the correlation between violent games and violent behavior.

Actually you kinda do Tale of Tales, because correlation doesn't speak to causation. 

There's a correlation between shark attacks on humans and swimming in the ocean, but that doesn't mean swimming in the ocean is the cause of shark attacks on humans.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man