What you did today

Blarghagh

Well, good for you, but opening the window in summers here when it is 35 C without humidity would really achieve nothing, wind is either pushing car exhaust or what feels like already super heated air. Cost of being in a city, I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Time to invest in AC companies in Europe.

We have ACs coming out of our ass in EU and most of them are Korean (and a different design that those in America).

Well, good for you, but opening the window in summers here when it is 35 C without humidity would really achieve nothing, wind is either pushing car exhaust or what feels like already super heated air. Cost of being in a city, I suppose.

Same here (Belgrade), I don't really know what Woldan is talking about. Every major city in EU has ACs in almost every apartment...

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Every major European city south/east of Vienna maybe, but central/north pretty much see it as a waste of energy. Our electrical bills are high enough as it is with all the taxes. Besides I've found that people from countries with AC tend to acclimate much much slower to different temperatures, than those from countries without.

Also - to celebrate the heat and America's 'freedom day' I'm making homemade choclate milkshakes and watching movies / playing games.. mmm

Fortune favors the bald.

Oh it sure does. Opening both windows creates an airflow, and air in motion will carry away the heat, which works like a fan.

And if you're smelling exhaust fumes when you open the windows either the underfloor or the firewall behind the engine is defect. (Lets rule out exhaust or exhaust manifold damage because that would create a lot more severe problems than just smell) When you open the windows and the air in the passenger compartment starts to move pressure drops, and if said parts are defect exhaust fumes from the engine compartment will be pushed through holes into the vehicles passenger compartment.

In a moving vehicle you should never smell car exhaust when opening any windows.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Don't get your hopes up, I don't know anybody who would be interested in the purchase of an AC, aside from places that are near or on the equator thats kind of an American thing. A friend of mine traveled to the US and was quite puzzled by the sheer amount of AC's everywhere. Once the temperatures rose above ~ 83-85 / 30 they turned his hotel room, shopping malls, shops and other public buildings into goddamn freezers.

Heck, having summer temperatures in the mid to high 30 Celsius a couple of weeks is a common thing around here, and nobody gives a damn. I can't even remember the last time I turned on the AC in a car. Open the window and its all good.

I own one of those portable AC's, about the size of a trashcan with a hose attached that I hang out the window. It gets the temperature about 3 degrees lower at most. :p

Oh it sure does. Opening both windows creates an airflow, and air in motion will carry away the heat, which works like a fan.

And if you're smelling exhaust fumes when you open the windows either the underfloor or the firewall behind the engine is defect. (Lets rule out exhaust or exhaust manifold damage because that would create a lot more severe problems than just smell) When you open the windows and the air in the passenger compartment starts to move pressure drops, and if said parts are defect exhaust fumes from the engine compartment will be pushed through holes into the vehicles passenger compartment.

In a moving vehicle you should never smell car exhaust when opening any windows.

Yeah, there's other cars on the road, smog is a thing here where I live. Join that with not really moving at a good consistent clip unless you're on a highway and the humidity meaning you just sit in your own sweat, the AC is better idea. Is probably overused though in some places, in terms of how low they set it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We took the youngin' over to play with his cousin this afternoon, which was fun.  He's 16 months old, and she's nearly 2, but she was born perilously prematurely (birth weight of 500g; didn't leave the hospital until she was 4 months old), so she still weighs less than he does and has a pile of other developmental challenges.  They don't live far away, but we don't visit very often because of how immuno-compromised she is.  For a long time, the fear was that something as simple as a chest cold could put her back in the hospital.  And, of course, our little guy picks up a little bit of everything that goes around in his daycare.  But we're all symptom-free at present, and she's getting old enough and doing well enough that the importance of getting her more social interaction is beginning to outweigh the risk of illness. 

It started out a little rough, as he can get a little aggressive sometimes, and she's not at all used to defending herself from a fellow toddler.  But, with some mediation (and after a lunch break) they both settled down and happily ran around and played with toys together.  He plays with 11 other babies every workday, but she doesn't really interact much with folks beyond her parents, nanny, grandparents, and many many medical professionals, so it was really nice to see her having a good time with a "peer"-- to the point where she was unhappy to see us leave.   

• Like 1

Some belated good news, my PoE shirt arrived yesterday that I got as part of my funding tier 

Its not a bad quality shirt so I am happy 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We took the youngin' over to play with his cousin this afternoon, which was fun.  He's 16 months old, and she's nearly 2, but she was born perilously prematurely (birth weight of 500g; didn't leave the hospital until she was 4 months old), so she still weighs less than he does and has a pile of other developmental challenges.  They don't live far away, but we don't visit very often because of how immuno-compromised she is.  For a long time, the fear was that something as simple as a chest cold could put her back in the hospital.  And, of course, our little guy picks up a little bit of everything that goes around in his daycare.  But we're all symptom-free at present, and she's getting old enough and doing well enough that the importance of getting her more social interaction is beginning to outweigh the risk of illness. 

It started out a little rough, as he can get a little aggressive sometimes, and she's not at all used to defending herself from a fellow toddler.  But, with some mediation (and after a lunch break) they both settled down and happily ran around and played with toys together.  He plays with 11 other babies every workday, but she doesn't really interact much with folks beyond her parents, nanny, grandparents, and many many medical professionals, so it was really nice to see her having a good time with a "peer"-- to the point where she was unhappy to see us leave.   

Good story, when you think about all the advancements we have made in medicine its scary to think  about your niece living 50 years ago (?)  she probably wouldn't have made it this far. Yet our understanding of  medicine has allowed her to have an almost normal life. We do live in the greatest era of mankind despite all our challengers 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If the air is over ~37ºC and significantly dry, an airflow will actually transfer heat to you, says thermodynamics, which is not hard because air in contact with the asphalt is locally hotter than what the temperature is according to thermometers. You will then start sweating like crazy as your body does what it can to maintain homeothermy.

Pretty much everyone but me has A/C in my condo. Dem electricity bills doe...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Pretty much everyone but me has A/C in my condo. Dem electricity bills doe...

I have 2 ACs in my apartment and haven't found them that impactful on the bill, what screws my household over the most is the water-heater. But then again it's working 24/7 so I guess it's to be expected.

My wife and I went out on my neighbors boat yesterday. Launched at a local river, cruised up through a dam lock (which was a first for me), then pulled up to one of the local riverfront bars to get our eat and drink on. When we got back at night we blew off some rockets, and the biggest freaking roman candle Ive ever seen. It was about the diameter of a tennis ball can, was 3Ft long, and disgorged 200 shots of various effects. It was glorious.

Also never been a fan of strip clubs but I hear the strip clubs in Chicago are weird. Either no alcohol or byo.

Maybe Gfted1 can set the record straight

PS I will admit to going to a burlesque show last time I was there and I enjoyed that

Well, I haven't been to a strip club in a hundred years but I remember there being booze. The strip clubs in Tennessee (Deja Vu) were byob and it was awesome. There was a conveniently located liquor store right next door so we would load up and get blotto in the club.

• Like 2

Decided to look into a new IRC program, have been using mIRC for 17 years.

Just get a plugin for your browser, found it to be the least of a hassle.

Just get a plugin for your browser, found it to be the least of a hassle.

Want one with scripting as well. Hardly a hassle to run a program :p

I've not found a windows one I like, I'll use mIRC but prefer XChat on Linux, so let us know if you find a good one.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Whelp, update.

New job is terrible. I walked in on my first day, and only knew when I was supposed to come in on my second and third days when I walked out. Then I didn't know if I was getting a weekend until I walked out on friday. The entire management team is just disorganized and everyone (including those who still work there) have said "Yeah, you don't want to work here." Still the money is decent so it'll have to do until I get a new job... again v.v

Worst part is I might have another opportunity back in ames, but I'm moving to Des Moines so I'd have an hour commute every day to do that.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I stick to everything, not made for this at all, Where's that thunderstorm at already.

And there it is... Along with a hefty rise in temp. now Im sweating :(

Fortune favors the bald.

Watching the soccer

No idea what's going on* but according to the numbers on the screen we're winning.

*I played youth soccer but never bothered to learn the rules beyond no hands

USA 4-1 at 39 minute mark ....  the US scored their goals in the first 16 minutes - including a shot by Carli Lloyd from near mid-line that caught the Japanese goalie WAY off her line

• Like 2

Japanese keeper was irritating, really should have done better on the 5th goal. Japan did press well at the end, shame they couldn't do it. The commentators on TV here though, they need a good beating to convince them that not talking isn't always a bad thing - I think we have some English moron who's there for his accent and some Canadian former player for all the good that gives.