What you did today

Blarghagh

I am no expert, but this doesn't look so good...

lIJ97B.png

Funny looking at the running time and then comparing it to this one...

0DCuIl.png

Running new backups since 3 days now. Such a pain in the arse.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am no expert, but this doesn't look so good...

lIJ97B.png

Funny looking at the running time and then comparing it to this one...

0DCuIl.png

Running new backups since 3 days now. Such a pain in the arse.

Yeah its clearly a disk issue....once you have backed up your data I would run an aggressive defrag and see if you can mark any permanently bad sectors...then use this drive as a backup secondary drive and get a new one to ensure you don't lose data  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Had to laugh when I was talking about the Gulf War to a coworker and some younger guys thought we meant the one in 2003 and didn't know of the 1991 one. Time to get the walker.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm so calm and focused today, its half past midnight and I'm working on a whole bunch of inquiries simultaneously without getting stressed out at all. I don't know why but at daytime I'm a completely and utterly worthless, irritated and incompetent human being, but as soon as the sun is gone I start to shine, I become someone else entirely.

A recent article seems to debunk the theory since the AWARE study had disappointing results.

I cant speak for the accuracy of either website.

Hm, that sounds rather disappointing, I guess death is just as mundane as life.  :getlost:

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'll try to find the article.

A recent article seems to debunk the theory since the AWARE study had disappointing results.

I cant speak for the accuracy of either website.

I'm still holding out for the beginnings of the Singularity to make up my mind on the subject of whether the mind exist separate from the body.

My guess is no, but i'm a materialist.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I know two...possibly three if you count an online friend. tongue.png

Well can you ask them whats waiting after death? I need to know if I can go for the life of sin, followed by a presto-change-o deathbed repentance, or if it doesn't matter because theres nothing after death. :p

Well, personally, I don't believe that, if there is an afterlife, memories of it could ever come back to a person revived... But also, I'm terrified of death, and it's not something I've ever considered asking anyone who's died and has come back. :p

Things are looking...perhaps a touch better today (for the future) than they did yesterday, although as the result of terrible, terrible things like Namutree suggested may need to happen for the situation to improve (though they didn't actually try to murder each other or anything). We'll see in the coming days.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

But also, I'm terrified of death, and it's not something I've ever considered asking anyone who's died and has come back.

You know what I'm terrified of? The concept of rebirth, because I'd have a ~75% chance of being reborn in a poor starving family in Africa or India. Now thats hell.

• Like 1

That's not too concerning to me, personally: indeed, it would actually put my mind at ease in some respects. All suffering would be temporary: what does one lifetime (or more!) of dismality and subsequent meaningless death matter when an infinity of lives stretch beyond you? At that point, I would become much more concerned with the future of the human race in general and propagating to other planets and escaping this possibly dying universe...if that's even possible...than merely the lives of myself and my loved ones. Our lives and the bonds we make with others would not matter as much: all would be broken and remade as we live out each life...so long as the cycle actually continues. If there is no cycle (or, I guess, if it works like Judaic and probably some other religions envision things do), then what we make of our lives and the people within them is instead probably the most meaningful thing. That's not really a reality I want to live by...but I can't help but always feel this is all some sort of cosmic accident/joke, even though, for the sake of my own sanity, I wish I could think otherwise, haha. That's life, I suppose. :)

(e): I should say, though...non-existence frightens me more than anything else I can imagine. Conceptually, I would prefer to spend a conscious eternity in some sort of Judaic tradition-inspired hell than to cease existing. I'm not sure how well that would hold up after so long of never-ending pain, but that's how I've always felt about it, regardless. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

That's not too concerning to me, personally: indeed, it would actually put my mind at ease in some respects. All suffering would be temporary: what does one lifetime (or more!) of dismality and subsequent meaningless death matter when an infinity of lives stretch beyond you?

The catch is you will never know therefore you'll have to endure pain and suffering for all eternity because you always cling to that one life. Oh, but life is fun? A lot of people who weren't born in happy places might disagree. For its size there are actually very few happy places on this planet.

And death? Two years ago I lost my consciousness for several minutes three times in a row, a complete brain shutdown and my heart stopped too a couple of times. I did not even know I lost my consciousness till I realized I was bleeding and laying on the floor and people were shouting at me. My brain was gone and there was nothing, nothing to be afraid of, nothing horrible just nothing at all.

Edited by Woldan

The catch is you will never know therefore you'll have to endure pain and suffering for all eternity because you always cling to that one life. Oh, but life is fun? A lot of people who weren't born in happy places might disagree. For its size there are actually very few happy places on this planet.

And death? Two years ago I lost my consciousness for several minutes three times in a row, a complete brain shutdown and my heart stopped too a couple of times. I did not even know I lost my consciousness till I realized I was bleeding and laying on the floor and people were shouting at me. My brain was gone and there was nothing, nothing to be afraid of, nothing horrible just nothing at all.

Yeah, I know: no way to rely on anything like it actually being correct...so you have no choice but to live the one life you know that you have...and fear your swiftly approaching, very possibly totally permanent death all the while. I don't want to believe that...and I'm hoping I don't go to my grave believing that, though I fear I might. Also, I'm not sure if your "life is fun?" comment was actually directed at me: I definitely agree with you on that point. Just that, if we're constantly being reborn, I don't think it would matter as much/be as horrible and tragic and unfair as it is.

Hey, now I know FOUR people who have died! Lucky me...and lucky Gfted1, since he now knows one, too! :p Funny how people report such different experiences when dying...which lends credence to my belief that it's all in our (physical) heads while it's happening, I suppose (though it doesn't necessarily contradict there being something actually beyond, of course...just that we appear to be unable to remember such, unfortunately).

Edited by Bartimaeus

I think my brain didn't have the luxury to make any complex fairy-dream thoughts because it was switched off immediately, there was no losing-consciousness process, in the middle of a conversation I dropped like a sack of potatoes and didn't even feel my head smashing on the desk while I was dropping which tells me my brain functions were gone before I hit the ground.

When I woke up I continued the conversation until I realized people were freaking out, then I lost my consciousness again and woke up when a group of medics were gathered all around me.

Like I said, I was shut off for several minutes and there was absolutely nothing, I did not suffer any memory loss or brain damage. I do not remember losing my consciousness because there is nothing to remember.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

What the heck actually happened that caused that, if you don't mind saying (and if you know)? You make it sound like your brain was directly hit with a bulldozer or something. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

Nobody knows. In the hospital they made me do epilepsy tests, checked my brain waves, checked my heart, made a CT of my brain - everything seemed normal. The final medical report says - cause unknown -. Never happened to me before and never happened to me again after.

The creepy thing is, I remember what the conversation was about when my brain shut down, I had an interesting discussion with a friend about if demons really exist, talking about several paranormal happenings that could be linked to malevolent ghosts.
I know it sounds like a lame joke but I swear I'm absolutely honest here, thats what we were talking about.

I'm not a superstitious person but I've avoided that topic since that incident and try to think about something else when I have those thoughts. Like right now.  MAybe it simply triggers something in my brain, who knows, but I don't want to find out. 

Edited by Woldan

I'm a weight lifter, it would be really bad if I had tendencies to faint when I put my arms over my head. Especially in my case since my favorite discipline is shoulder pressing weights in excess of 120kg over my head. 

Plus the doc said my pupils did not respond from his flashlight.

Nobody knows. In the hospital they made me do epilepsy tests, checked my brain waves, checked my heart, made a CT of my brain - everything seemed normal. The final medical report says - cause unknown -. Never happened to me before and never happened to me again after.

The creepy thing is, I remember what the conversation was about when my brain shut down, I had an interesting discussion with a friend about if demons really exist, talking about several paranormal happenings that could be linked to malevolent ghosts.

I know it sounds like a lame joke but I swear I'm absolutely honest here, thats what we were talking about.

I'm not a superstitious person but I've avoided that topic since that incident and try to think about something else when I have those thoughts. Like right now. MAybe it simply triggers something in my brain, who knows, but I don't want to find out.

That's...that seems really unusual, particularly if your brain instantly shut itself down. Bad enough when somebody suddenly dies of heart failure from a birth defect that was never detected or something: at least they have a few seconds before everything goes dark. You didn't even have that much...fine one second, braindead the next. Man, that's terrifying, particularly since there was no apparent cause to be found...I'd be so scared of that happening again...

Here's what I suggest you do in regards to this thread:

330cef6978.gif

(EDIT): that is meant to be like an "abandon thread" gif, JUST IN CASE that wasn't clear. I should think about these things before I post. :facepalm:

Edited by Bartimaeus

For a while I was afraid of that happening again in more.....inconvenient situations, killing me in the process. But if I have learned one important lesson in my life its that ones life should not be controlled by fear. The only thing that makes sense is carrying on like nothing ever happened. 

• Like 2

A lot of people have the problem of fainting when they flex their muscles while having their arms over their head, its a common problem and I thought thats what you meant.  

About fainting when lifting weights, I lift weights in excess of 240kg / 530lbs yet I never felt like truly passing out at any moment, I think the main cause for fainting is when you lift something thats simply too heavy for you and  getting the weight up takes too long. You don't breathe, your blood flow has stopped and your nervous system is going to overload - its only a matter of time until you faint. Also not doing any kind of warm up and going heavy on your first lift will increase the dangers of your body shutting down.

Before I do my powerlifts I always make sure I have a sufficient amount energy in my system ( a good meal three hours before lifting), I pre-hydrate about an hour before touching any weights and before doing my max weight lifts I try to get oxygen into my blood via extra breathes. Served me really well so far. 

*edit* And whats up with the voice of the guy in the video?  :wacko:

Edited by Woldan

I'm not a superstitious person but I've avoided that topic since that incident and try to think about something else when I have those thoughts. Like right now.  MAybe it simply triggers something in my brain, who knows, but I don't want to find out. 

It's a little frightening in my opinion how much we still don't know about the physical condition, we have such expertise and knowledge and yet there are gaping holes there. What will be discovered in twenty years, that turns our accepted wisdom on its head, and at what point will the human mind be fully unravelled with all of its kinks and peculiarities mapped and highlighted? I'm not quite sure i'd want that to ever happen, we share a commonality but there is also an individuality that i'm not sure needs investigating too thoroughly.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Fed my Schadenfreude gland some delicious cringe from EA failing hard with the new Sims 4 expansion announcement.

I don't even own the game, I'm just bitter as hell and wanna see these big named companies get kicked in the nuts so they're forced to stop pushing out sub par products.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Whelp, applied and took the exam for the US Post Office as a "Rural Mail carrier".

Guess a lot of "old" companies are going "Oh crap, all the old farts are retiring, we need new people!"

Also I'm working a 52ish hour work week right now.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

....at what point will the human mind be fully unravelled with all of its kinks and peculiarities mapped and highlighted? I'm not quite sure i'd want that to ever happen.....

Same here, whenever I read science articles about the free will of human minds, with science uncovering more and more about the uncomfortable truth that it all probably is a mix of illusion and lies, I want to make it stop. What would happen if we found the unshakable proof that there is no free will? That would have more impact on society than Aliens visiting earth in broad daylight.