What you did today

Blarghagh

The thread that is all about you(r day)!

Continued from here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77781-what-you-did-today/

Last posts:

I'm just waking up after being up well through the night and into the morning saying goodbye to a very good friend, and my main dance partner, who is sadly moving away. Much drink was had and goodtimes, we did a pub crawl and then sat around and talked into the wee hours and got a little teary at her leaving, and she's safely on her way today.

I'm just waking up after being up well through the night and into the morning saying goodbye to a very good friend, and my main dance partner, who is sadly moving away. Much drink was had and goodtimes, we did a pub crawl and then sat around and talked into the wee hours and got a little teary at her leaving, and she's safely on her way today.

Pub crawls always have a way of making a situation better, you seem like a good friend to your lady friends. That's an admirable quality  :thumbsup:

What type of dancing do you do ?

• Like 1

Pub crawls always have a way of making a situation better, you seem like a good friend to your lady friends. That's an admirable quality  :thumbsup:

What type of dancing do you do ?

Thanks!

And Smooth (mostly Waltz), Latin (mostly Rumba), East Coast Swing/Blues, West Coast Swing, Hustle, and Argentine Tango/Milonga. Lou and I mostly did West Coast and Hustle because she likes spinning though we've done a bit of everything at one point or another including her learning Argentine Tango for me while I learned Viennese Waltz and Quickstep for her. That had mixed success but the attempt was fun! thumbsup.gif

I'll also miss people's reactions when we talked about her work in public, she studies gonorrhea and Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and also the mutual horribleness to each other in board games and in both tabletop and PC RPGs - but that's why there's Skype and online multiplayer games! ;)

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Today I watched an iron man contest. While the athletic feats where absolutely amazing I wondered why there isn't a popular competitive sport - for both sexes- that combines strength and endurance to find the ultimate athlete. Its always either endurance or strength, or in other words hyperspecialization. I'm sick of watching tiny people running a million kilometers that could not pick up a 50kg barbell without braking their twig-like arms or huge weightlifters that can log-lift 230kg but could not run 2 kilometers without collapsing.

Why isn't there a popular balanced sport that combines it all? 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

There are crossfit-ish events and ninja warrior type contests on TV here

With the horrible and damaging lifting techniques and odd disciplines used in Crossfit I refuse to recognize it as a valid form of sport.

And it does not have enough endurance in it anyway, thats more like circuit training and thats not what I mean.

I was more thinking along the lines of -as example- log lifts and atlas stone lift sessions followed by 60km bike sprints, followed by dead lifts and bench presses with running 20km as finisher. Most of the lifts are not against the clock but instead the total amount of weight lifted counts. Endurance disciplines are of course against the clock. I'd give the athletes a mandatory rest phase between the strength and endurance disciplines.

Just thinking out loud.... 

Edited by Woldan

With the horrible and damaging lifting techniques and odd disciplines used in Crossfit I refuse to recognize it as a valid form of sport.

And it does not have enough endurance in it anyway, thats more like circuit training and thats not what I mean.

I was more thinking along the lines of -as example- log lifts and atlas stone lift sessions followed by 60km bike sprints, followed by dead lifts and bench presses with running 20km as finisher. Most of the lifts are not against the clock but instead the total amount of weight lifted counts. Endurance disciplines are of course against the clock. I'd give the athletes a mandatory rest phase between the strength and endurance disciplines.

So basically a sport that matches the way you train, right? ;)

Problem is, there is always going to be a disagreement wrt what is considered "balanced". You said it yourself, Crossfit "does not have enough endurance", because it doesn't meet some arbitrary criteria. And it will be difficult to get many people to follow it because it's always more interesting to see feats of extreme strength or endurance than the performance of an athletic jack-of-all-trades.

BTW, there is a sport that is essentially what you just described, only there are no mandatory rest periods. It's called Obstacle Racing. Other than that, football (the American version) players are about as close as it gets to a "perfectly balanced athlete". Feel free to disagree...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'd consider basketball players better all around athletes than football players.  Really, depending on your position, you do some dramatic things to withstand the punishment you will take in football.  Basketball combines skill, strength, speed, endurance, etc.  I'd throw hockey in the mix to, but I'm obviously biased.  :p

So I'm wrapping up my visit to the coast and flying back to JHB  in about an hour

The trip was a resounding success. On Friday morning we spent the day at the beach and did some site seeing, the whole beachfront at Durban has been renovated  and you can walk about 8 km along a nice promenade where there many little restaurants and funky bars that you can visit and quench your thirst and satisfy your hunger if necessary, we had an early morning breakfast.

Saturday we went to a farmers market and then visited a railway house pub called Stokers Arms...drinks flowed like mothers milk of course 

http://www.stokersarms.co.za/

Following that I felt I wanted to visit an old school friend who I haven't seen or heard  from  in about 2 years and heard had fallen on hard financial times. But I had no contact details of his but I knew he frequented a really dodgy pub so I went there hoping he might be there. After nearly getting beaten up from some redneck for joking with his wife because her handbag was full of avocado pears it turns out he knew my friend and he phoned him to tell him I was looking for him. So my friend came through and we reconnected which was great. We spent the entire  night drinking and carousing...the next day I was extremely hangover and felt like death warmed up :biggrin: ...but it was worth seeing my friend again 

Yesterday we had a awesome family lunch with all my family at a Portuguese restaurant called aTasca, really quaint. Live music and great vibe. I had gizzards as a starters and then Sardines as my main meal

http://www.atasca.co.za/

And now my trip is over and back to work tomorrow :)

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Crossfit is very popular in South Africa, I know people who are Crossfit trainers and swear it is the best overall cardio and weight training a person can do

Yet I also have friends who are physiotherapists and tell me that business has never been better because of the large numbers of people who have injured there backs and or muscles due to Crossfit or not understanding the correct Crossfit techniques 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A few more pictures:

From the hotel, having friends round for dinner (the aftermath. Also, this is before the clean-up, that's why there is moss...)

http://i.imgur.com/9ZUPtiw.jpg

Athens by night:

http://i.imgur.com/vCppu23.jpg

(I'll need to learn to properly use the camera. Might have to nag Woldan for advice)

http://i.imgur.com/gkP0I2Z.jpg

• Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

So basically a sport that matches the way you train, right? wink.png

Problem is, there is always going to be a disagreement wrt what is considered "balanced". You said it yourself, Crossfit "does not have enough endurance", because it doesn't meet some arbitrary criteria. And it will be difficult to get many people to follow it because it's always more interesting to see feats of extreme strength or endurance than the performance of an athletic jack-of-all-trades.

I wouldn't say my suggestion of disciplines is arbitrary, on the contrary, I suggested the most popular disciplines from strongman competitions - which is all about finding the worlds strongest athlete - and iron man disciplines which is the most popular sport in finding the athlete with the most endurance.

In the end, I'd simply combine the most common disciplines into one contest. And those disciplines are undoubtedly the dead lift, overhead press / log lift, bench press, squat, running and cycling. Plus maybe swimming.

Edited by Woldan

Today I bought some mountain hiking gear. I'm very happy with my bargain hiking shoes, instead of 160 bucks I got them for whooping 60 because the shop is going out of business and throws their stuff at customers - for insanely low prices. 

Ok, maybe I'm not that happy since the shop was pretty damn good, its a pity they're closing. 

Edited by Woldan

So after 4 hockey games in the last 2 days, I'm a bit sore, but I managed to get out for a short run today.  I've been trying to get some color as well, since my shirt tan line is usually fairly blindingly white, so I've been running shirtless.  It freaks me out a little, and I tend to run faster than I normally do, which always hits me about halfway through the run.  I think I'm trying to run away from my shame.  :p

But it is working, I no longer signal ships into the harbor when I take my shirt off.  I'm ready for the pools in Vegas.   :thumbsup:

Placed an order for a Fishin' Stix (magnum size of course). Cause I cant be bothered to hold my fishing pole.

I don't think you are supposed to hold it anyway, rather you should lounge in close proximity and drink cold beverages of your choice.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yay, view counter came back on, twenty-nine days in the wilderness. 

Today is also the twenty-fifth time around the sun since the summer after high school when I got a job working as the linen ranger at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and discovered the human imperative. She was a year older.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Going to be heading to Vegas for the weekend with some friends, if only for the sake I have something remotely exciting to do, but find myself at a loss as to what to do when I get there. I swore to myself that while I have my vices, gambling wasn't going to be one of them (my dad had to go to GA over his problem when I was a kid), and that was a promise I held even through college.

I suppose I could convince them to go to the firing ranges and fire an assortment of class 3 firearms on "rock and roll."

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I don't think you are supposed to hold it anyway, rather you should lounge in close proximity and drink cold beverages of your choice.

That's exactly my style while my buddies are nutso about it. Ill bring two poles, one for catfish (this is the pole that will use the above stix) and one for bobber or lure fishing. Meanwhile, my friends bring 4-5 poles each and set up shop along the river bank. :lol:

Going to be heading to Vegas for the weekend with some friends, if only for the sake I have something remotely exciting to do, but find myself at a loss as to what to do when I get there.

The last two years Ive gone I did little to no gambling, just drinking like a fish. My poison is the craps table. I can literally feel my heart beating in my chest while Im rolling the dice. Such a rush. But I also hate losing money so Ill limit myself to ~$200 / day in gambling.

Have tomorrow off, planning what to do, hopefully will get my closet sorted and some cleaning done. Pan Am Games is already snarling up the place, not sure why though - they added carpool lanes and that's messed up the roads but the transit service here seems to have dialed back service, school ended but they said they weren't doing the cut back to help the Pan Am traffic.

Bah, stupid circus for proles these games.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Going to be heading to Vegas for the weekend with some friends, if only for the sake I have something remotely exciting to do, but find myself at a loss as to what to do when I get there. I swore to myself that while I have my vices, gambling wasn't going to be one of them (my dad had to go to GA over his problem when I was a kid), and that was a promise I held even through college.

I suppose I could convince them to go to the firing ranges and fire an assortment of class 3 firearms on "rock and roll."

Yeah on my trips to Vegas we have done things like shooting guns, trips to the grand canyon, helicopter rides, strip club visits ( a must ) watching the numerous live performances like 

Cirque du Soleil, magician acts , shopping, visiting the cheese shops  and of course gambling  :dancing:  :dancing:

John Milton 

Trying out my new lens. Its captures so much light a shutter speed of 17 seconds is enough to completely over-exposure the picture in the darkest night, with a mere 1000 ISO. With 10 seconds of shutter speed you'd think its just a normal pic taken on a sunny day...until you notice the stars in the sky. I'm in love.   :w00t: