None of them are much good. They're marginally useful in the early game, but any of them will get splattered over the landscape pretty quickly. IMO the wolf is the most useful as it has Knockdown which lets you disengage so you can use it to get out of trouble. The bear's terrifying roar is somewhat useful debuff though.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

None of them are much good. They're marginally useful in the early game, but any of them will get splattered over the landscape pretty quickly. IMO the wolf is the most useful as it has Knockdown which lets you disengage so you can use it to get out of trouble. The bear's terrifying roar is somewhat useful debuff though.

Thanks--I should've clarified "for early-game survibability." I know they're no good later on, esp. once you get per encounter spells.

Edited by Khashir

In that case, wolf > bear >> any of the others. Just don't forget to use the abilities.

Awesome, thank you :)
I used Stag. Started battles with 1st level lightning spell that affects enemies only, sometimes 2 of them, then shift and enter melee as the 2nd wave. I choose the talent to cause burn damage when shifted and engaged the enemy flank. Then used carnage, the Stag ability. It's effective in Hard. It was effective in chapter 3.

I will never play PotD. Can't comment on it.

Starting stats were as listed below. Mainly to keep a little melee sustainability when shifting runs out. Even on Hard most combos will get you through the game.

Might - 14

Dex- 10

Con - 10

Per - 14

Int - 16

Res - 14

Edited by Blades of Vanatar

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

In that case, wolf > bear >> any of the others. Just don't forget to use the abilities.

So, I went Wolf, and unless I'm missing something, I think Bear would've been a better choice. Here's what I've observed:

1. Wolf will probably take a bit of damage if engaged, whereas Bear has innate DR.
  2. Bear's ability further reduces incoming damage, and it's Foe AoE (which is more valuable in Hard, and benefits from 18 Int)
  3. Bear's ability also benefits the Tank.

In short, Bear is much better at managing damage from multiple sources (which can easily happen in Hard--Shades/Shadows, I'm looking at you!), and vs. a single source, while DR is no knockback, it's still decent (and you can always Fear).

Is there a way to switch using console (or some other tool)? I really don't want to start the game for the 10th or 11th time...

Edited by Khashir

Is there a way to switch using console (or some other tool)? I really don't want to start the game for the 10th or 11th time...

Well, I've restarted the game more times than I'd like to know, but I know the IE mod lets you do console commands to remove and add abilities or talents. I don't think there's any way to do this without the mod, and I forget whether it messes up your Steam achievements (if you're even on Steam). I don't use it because I've heard it has had issues in the past, and you're on your own if you run into an issue. If the main game has an issue, you can report it so the devs can fix it. But if you're ok with all that, you can go ahead and try the IE mod.