NON-Obsidian South Park RPG Sequel Announced!

No, Obsidian wouldn't/couldn't say no to a new sequel to South Park after the success the first one was. It was their most successful game, no?
I have zero interest in playing a RPG-lite made by Rocksmith developers. They know f all about the genre. I pre-ordered the game years in

advance for one reason, I love Obsidian. Feels like a horrible betrayal TBH. Most likely, they just want to make a cheap sequel to cash in,

but I can't believe gamers don't seem to understand that developers MATTER. Imagine your fav band makes an amazing album, then the

record company gets some ****ty in house band to do the follow up...

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, since I don't really do music games, is Rocksmith any good?

No, it isn't even average on music game standards, which are quite low. EDIT: Although some reviewers praised it quite much, so it probably has some good qualities IDK.

Edited by Elerond

Can't really compare Rocksmith to the rhythm game genre, they fundamentally set out to achieve different things. It's like comparing Euro Truck Simulator to Mario Kart, so it kind of does a disservice to both.

Rocksmith is billed as "learn to play real guitar" generally succeeds at that, with an important caveat: it doesn't teach any musical theory, it just shows you how to play the songs. It doesn't concern itself with sheet music, or hell, even the concept of musical notes, but it neither does it expect you to know it. It just gets right into technique, hit these chords to play this song.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

when I hear "Rocksmith", this comes to mind:

• Like 3
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I choose to live in a world where Metallica stopped putting out albums after ...And Justice for All.  Sure, it's a fantasy world, but it's a much happier world.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, looks like the game has been in works for sometime, and Obsidian was working on Pillars.

It looks fun and still could be a good game, i expect the south park creators are again heavily invested in this. So it could end up being a great game.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

It was in development for too long and likely had a more bloated budget than many other Obsidian titles, so that means the profit margin was cut into.

Games that likely were more profitable:

FO:NV

KotOR 2

NWN2

PoE

Dungeon Siege 3 also probably pulled in a better profit, given the small team and short development time. 

I'd suspect Ubisoft did OK out of it, while it took a long time a lot of that time/ money was put into it under THQ and Ubi bought it from them for only 3.2M$. On the other hand, no next gen version suggests it didn't sell well enough to justify them financing that version.

That list is probably right though, except perhaps PoE and that hasn't been out long.

"Name 4 more succesful Obsidian games."

Changing the game already?

The claim was that it was their 'most successful game'... and, now, you ask for 4 more... LMAO

"PoE"

L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Are you talking about quality or success?  The two are not the same.

I believe that PoE has been more profitable than South Park for Obsidian.  But without clear numbers, it is definitely just conjecture.  

• Like 1

PoE was likely more profitable than all of their prrevious games because they get a cut/most of each sale of the game, vs not getting paid for other games after development finishes.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 1 month later...

So really what's the deal here... why no Obs? Why another dev, making the same quality questionable and cashcow liklier.

They can't seriously turn it down to work on a World of Tanks-clone now, is it? That would be a sad day for RPG-fans... the RPG-developer saying no to RPG to work on some crappy F2P clone.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Smart move by Mr Urquhart, never alienate those whom you may work alongside someday.

Whenever I mention this of any developers; [usually Obsidian though], people are incredulous of that, and it seems absurd to them.

I've never understood why something so obvious is deemed so unlikely, by so many... aside from the fact that they are usually trying to discredit an argument by flinging contrary developer statements at it.

So really what's the deal here... why no Obs? Why another dev, making the same quality questionable and cashcow liklier.

They can't seriously turn it down to work on a World of Tanks-clone now, is it? That would be a sad day for RPG-fans... the RPG-developer saying no to RPG to work on some crappy F2P clone.

It's an internal studio. Probably cheaper for Ubisoft.

But they seem to be using the same engine... which IIRC was Obsidian's inhouse engine, right.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

They're almost certainly using Ubisoft's in house 2d engine rather than Onyx. The look of the engine is the look of the TV series and that isn't difficult to mimic since they have the base resources from the TV series available, as well as any graphics resources Obsidian developed. Ubisoft does have a pretty good 2d engine- used for Child of Light and a Rayman game plus a supposed forthcoming PoP title- of their own available, there's no reason they'd licence Onyx as it would be unnecessary expense.