Shenmue 3

Kickstarter pitch video was frankly terrible, future updates will need to be much better if they want to reach 5-10 million.

Of course getting announced at E3 helps a lot.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I thought the pitch was pretty good. Although the voice acting in that demo kinda suck but I know its only temporary. Its the message that counts. At least its not as silly as Bards Tale pitch. That one make me cringe but I know the game will be wonderful. 

Oh my, what a legendary game. I honestly thought I was one of the only ones that knew of the greatness behind it.

I had Shenmue 1 & 2 on Dreamcast ( and played the Xbox version ).

>Dem dragon mirrors though.

>Dat Lan Di though.

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

I never owned a Dreamcast and i never intend to. Are there any ports of the first two games or am i doomed forever?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I never owned a Dreamcast and i never intend to. Are there any ports of the first two games or am i doomed forever?

It was release on xbox. I played it a few years ago. I even got a demo from the official xbox magazine. Its also how I heard about the game.  Those were the days. 

QA7XOUM.jpg

Edited by ryukenden

The fact that Sony is financing this but they didn't disclose it until after it was funded leaves a really, really bad taste in my mouth. Sure, one could guess that due to its presence at E3, but even then, bleh.

Still, I'm glad that Shenmue fans are finally getting a third one. Maybe I'll get it when it's low in price to see what all the hubhub was about.

The fact that Sony is financing this but they didn't disclose it until after it was funded leaves a really, really bad taste in my mouth. Sure, one could guess that due to its presence at E3, but even then, bleh.

Still, I'm glad that Shenmue fans are finally getting a third one. Maybe I'll get it when it's low in price to see what all the hubhub was about.

I think it is unwise to disclose that information, the fact they are funding kickstarter at E3. They might as well fund the game without the KS. But to them that is risky.

Therefore, They promote the KS to test the gauge of their fans. The last game cost a fortune to make and didn't sell very well with its reflective budget.  

Edited by ryukenden

I think it is unwise to disclose that information, the fact they are funding kickstarter at E3. They might as well fund the game without the KS. But to them that is risky.

Therefore, They promote the KS to test the gauge of their fans. The last game cost a fortune to make and didn't sell very well with its reflective budget.  

But it is very dishonest not to disclose such information, because KS isn't preordering things like some still believe. 

So if it is true that Sony finances most of the development of the game it means that, if Sony for some reason like for example by bad financial situation feels that they need to stop funding the game (thing that happens constantly in the industry), it would mean that Ys Net will not have means to finish the game and KS backers are screwed because it isn't Sony that runs KS campaign but Ys Net, which means that if you want to ask your money back you need to ask it from Ys Net which probably in that point will not have any money to give back. And if there is problems with rewards or any other KS related things it is Ys Net that is responsible about them not Sony, like for example offering updates/additional content for PC version, even though game is actually Sony's property.

So in my opinion they should disclose such information because it has very real impact and causes risks for those who fund game through KS.

• Like 1

I think they disclosed it right after the Sony conference?

Would've been awkward to announce right on stage that the Kickstarter was basically a test to see whether you'd put your money where your mouth is.

Also I think they tried to get the message across in the pitch video... but frankly it was just terrible.

Edited by HoonDing

I disagree, I have no problem with what they are doing and I appreciate that they disclosed that.  This is the same thing as with the Kingdom Come: Deliverance Kickstarter and they were up front about it too, which I also appreciated.  During the KC:D Kickstarter they said right up front that they had secured someone to finance the project, the Kickstarter was mostly to show the person(s) financing the project that there is sufficient interest in the project for them to have the confidence to bankroll it.  One of the first thoughts that popped into my mind when this was announced, well after "Holy **** is this really happening!?  Is this the real life?  Is this just fantasy?", was "Is Sony bankrolling this?  They must be because 1) This is being announced during Sony's presser 2) You don't make a game like Shenmue for 2 million dollars".  So I'm glad they confirmed what I, and a lot of other people, undoubtedly, were already suspecting.

As for not disclosing that at the very beginning during the pitch, I don't suspect any malice or attempt to deceive.  They disclosed that information a mere day later, plenty early in the campaign, and the way Kickstarter works is that you can always withdraw your pledge up to the moment the campaign ends.  If they'd have waited until after the campaign had ended and the money had been collected to disclose this information, then I'd say that was underhanded.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I do agree that this information should be included on the Kickstarter page, either on the front page and/or in an update, and not just in a press release.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This wasn't right after the conference?

Anyway, I think with modern technology it wouldn't be completely impossible to make Shenmue 3 on Kickstarter funds alone if they made 4-5 million.

Considering it takes place in rural China, compare it to Vanishing of Ethan Carter with minigames and kung fu.

• Like 1

As a matter of fact, yeah, those videos came from later in the day, when Shenmue 3 had already been safely funded on Kickstarter. No reason they couldn't announce that they'd provide extra funds on the stage, instead of waiting for some late interviews that a lot of fans are going to miss.

I don't know anything about Shenmue, but apparently it's a big deal because everyone is excited, so I'd like to ask you fine folks what is this game like and do I need to have played the previous two to enjoy the third? What other game would you compare it to?

It's kind of open world and sort of RPGish adventure and you're supposed to live in it, like work, gamble, play arcade games, collect capsule toys and take photos. I think if you're expectations aren't sky high it grows on you with its charm and attention to detail. It's not any one thing but a combination of all, as well as a fairly new way to tell a story for the time it was made. I played the second game without playing the first, and that was fine but probably would've been better if I did play the first, as you're immediately invested in the character. No idea about the third, since it's not made yet. Really hope they reissue the first 2 for the PC since I'd really like to play the first.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan