The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Rosbjerg

There's a prostitute in Blood & Wine that complains about clients being weird and wanting to roleplay witchers. Apparently, after the act, the clients usually ask for a card.

Well they had nice artwork..

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In their defense, the pretend Witchers might have just been interested in a round of Gwent.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

No, Gwent is Geralt's "unusual request" to the brothel's owner. I think Geralt might have a gambling problem. Well, my Geralt does anyway.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Ban Lexx for hate speach!

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I told Triss I love her .....I do, she is cool

But I told Yen the same and ended the Djinn curse and still said " I love you "  :wub: ....but I dont know if I do love Yen, she is hot but more emotionally detached than Triss

I also was faced with yet another one of those moral choices that always make me ponder the right choice

For me I RP Geralt a certain way and that helps me decide certain things ...so I let the Witcher from the School of the Cat  live even though he massaced the village because I felt he had been attacked first and Witchers are a very rare breed so I normally want them  to survive ...I wont commit genocide against my own unless I have no choice 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Witcher 3 also suffers from "dialogue option says one thing, Geralt says something else"-disease, as I've found out now. The interface was like "there is a third option... I could kill you" and Geralt was like "there is a third option... I will kill you", which resulted in instant combat. Might not be an expert, but for me there was a difference in tone between the dialogue option and what has been said. So I had to reload, which was annoying, as the loading times are still too long for my taste (It's also why I play in story-only mode.... I like the harder combat, but I hate the loading times if I fail, which happened quite often actually).

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finally made it to Skellige. The game is still kinda crushing me with its size, but the way the quests are setup is exactly how I think it should be. The game doesn't force me to randomly wander the lands, I find quests on my way to other quest locations, which then send me to yet another quest location, etc. Always hated the Bethesda approach with a few quests in every corner of the world and the rest is up to you randomly falling into generic copy&paste dungeons.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, I'm kind of suffering from content overload as well. I'm level 15 and I just arrived in Novigrad (still haven't talked to Triss yet, but I spent ~2000 crowns on books...), but I've still got ~45 POI in Velen I haven't checked out just because I was about at the point I was going to be screwed out of xp (seriously, I don't mind getting less or no xp from enemies I overlevel, but quest xp should be level independent...I should never be thinking "I want to finish this questline, but I need to go do that other quest before I overlevel it.")

Also annoyed that one quest (the Swamp Thing contract) updated and wouldn't let me talk to the quest giver because I apparently ran through the area for the quest while on my way to do another quest. I had no way of knowing I was doing so, and lost out on the chance to negotiate price (not that it really matters, it just seemed strange for a quest to update just because I ran through a random area of a swamp...it's not like I examined something using Witcher Senses or anything.)

Finally made it to Skellige. The game is still kinda crushing me with its size, but the way the quests are setup is exactly how I think it should be. The game doesn't force me to randomly wander the lands, I find quests on my way to other quest locations, which then send me to yet another quest location, etc. Always hated the Bethesda approach with a few quests in every corner of the world and the rest is up to you randomly falling into generic copy&paste dungeons.

Yeah, I'm kind of suffering from content overload as well. I'm level 15 and I just arrived in Novigrad (still haven't talked to Triss yet, but I spent ~2000 crowns on books...), but I've still got ~45 POI in Velen I haven't checked out just because I was about at the point I was going to be screwed out of xp (seriously, I don't mind getting less or no xp from enemies I overlevel, but quest xp should be level independent...I should never be thinking "I want to finish this questline, but I need to go do that other quest before I overlevel it.")

Also annoyed that one quest (the Swamp Thing contract) updated and wouldn't let me talk to the quest giver because I apparently ran through the area for the quest while on my way to do another quest. I had no way of knowing I was doing so, and lost out on the chance to negotiate price (not that it really matters, it just seemed strange for a quest to update just because I ran through a random area of a swamp...it's not like I examined something using Witcher Senses or anything.)

Guys I will share a secret about how to play W3 and not get overwhelmed by all the quests ....as it can be overwhelming 

You need to take 1-2 day breaks before playing sessions, I always find then the number of quests seem manageable 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I found the game's designed so that, at the end of it, you should be roughly at lvl 30, no matter the amount of content you do before it - so no amount of optimization does much good, really. Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine completely throws it all off tho, I'm pretty sure at the point I'm fighting Eredin, I'll be a God of Death (who defeated bandits who are somehow 10 times more powerful than said Eredin in Blood and Wine for some reason).

TBH I'm not a big fan of how levelling in W3 works - I'd much prefer a system where you'd get far fewer levels, but much more interesting skills and weapons, instead of being the same thing +20 (which leads to ridiculous end-game sticks which are somehow much more powerful than a Witcher's sword). Well, I would, personally, be quite glad if CDP got rid of leveling altogether and made more distinct fighting styles instead, but eh... (For crying out loud, Geralt was an elite warrior at the end of the books. Even the most powerful beings in Witcher universe had great trouble besting him. And then two more Witcher games happened in the meantime. Yet at the start of W3, a drowner can kick his arse. wtf?)

Edited by Fenixp

Yeah Witcher 3 is an embarrassment of riches  :dancing:

As I keep saying W3 is an example of modern RPG  superlativeness  :sorcerer:

I'm 180 hours in and I'm leaving the Skellige Isles ...its so exciting, its epic 

John Milton 

Honestly, it's not the number of quests, it's all the undiscovered locations. I've got 56 of them, plus another half dozen places where the monsters were way too high level (I had a level 21 wyvern chase me half across the map when I was level 13) and I don't want to skip any of them, because I know there are going to be recipes and crafting ingredients I'm going to want in some of them (not to mention places of power.) I know, though, that most of them are going to have terrible gear or be level 9 bandit camps or something equally pointless, which makes them feel like kind of a waste of time.

• Like 1

Break your sword on a level 51 earth elemental guarding a ch est to loot a fork.

Beat a royal wyvern only to get oneshotted by Novigrad street thugs helping that Elven smith.

GotY 2015.

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Grr, I just competed in the tourney and figured it was a best of three kind of deal but no, you've got to win everything flawlessly.  The actual plot surrounding the tournament was pretty cool at least.

Edited by WDeranged

Also probably the best system benchmark right now. Want to test if your CPU/GPU/RAM clocks are stable? Run around Witcher 3 at maxed gfx for a few hours

When playing W3 I don't need to turn my central heating on...

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been running my 290X with an effective underclock (or more accurately, at -40% power limit) almost since I bought it. Had to remove the underclock to get a good framerate at my preferred detail level. I might try to optimise a bit more (say, best playable settings at -20%) if I have the time, but time spent messing around with that is less time playing the game. :(

I regret not buying a good third-party cooler now, but it's probably too late in this generation to get one. Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with hardware reviewers' hearing, because their definition of "quiet" is a long, long way away from mine.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I play Witcher 3 on everything maximum for hours. :dancing:  If I sit next to my computer after that (I play with gamepad on the couch), I am getting some hot feet, though. Kind of a bad timing to play the game in our current weather situation (up to 30°C outside), but 'I just can't stop.

/Edit: I still find some thinks in the game weird as hell. Like for example, why do I change the item description text size in the inventory and not in the game options, as is usually done? Are some people constantly changing that?? Also, why can I still not increase the subtitle text size? On PC it is all fine and stuff, but on the TV occasionally I've got some real problems with my eyes.

Edited by Lexx

Blood and Wine spoilz (early main quest, with the spoons)

When the O'Dimm's theme kicked after dispelling the wight it just sent shivers down my spine. Bloody Master of Mirrors... Aslo, bloody brilliant quest right there.