Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

So, hypothetically, if a certain Brian Fargo drove a dumptruck full of money over to Irvine to lure Chris over to Newport Beach, that would, hypothetically, coincide well with this mysterious Van Buren trademark that InXile have stashed in their back pocket, not to mention that Chris could then, hypothetically, have a larger, more full-time role on Torment: Tides of Nomnomnomnomnom.

Hypothetical erection level = fully engorged

• Like 7

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Maybe now that The Witcher 3 is out, CDPR are looking for someone to really kick-start the writing for Cyberpunk 2077? :D If he's looking for a studio that is both effectively independent but which has both the wherewithal and desire to go with the truly ambitious projects... The Witcher 3 in many ways I feel shares a lot with Alpha Protocol of all things, without the constraints that effectively hobbled it.

• Like 5

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What were the disagreements over?

PoE. Chris wanted to take a different diraction with the game. Though these are only rumors, so they might be completely wrong. :)

some clown on a random crpg site speculates and it becomes a rumor.  

*snort*

truth is that chrisA were tired of cain and feargus stealing his hummus from the obsidian breakroom fridge.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Maybe now that The Witcher 3 is out, CDPR are looking for someone to really kick-start the writing for Cyberpunk 2077? :D If he's looking for a studio that is both effectively independent but which has both the wherewithal and desire to go with the truly ambitious projects... The Witcher 3 in many ways I feel shares a lot with Alpha Protocol of all things, without the constraints that effectively hobbled it.

My hypothetical erection level has been upgraded to raging boner.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Cyberpunk by Mr Avellone, yes that would do.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Off to Bethesda ? tongue.png

Lord knows they desperately need someone who can actually write a character.

Didn't FO3 get awards for the writing ? :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Off to Bethesda ? tongue.png

Lord knows they desperately need someone who can actually write a character.

Didn't FO3 get awards for the writing ? :)

And Shadow of Mordor got an award for best video game protagonist.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I know it's silly, but perhaps the folks at Bethesda would figure they don't need him in this hypothetical.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Best wishes on his future endeavors.  I'll certainly be curious to see where he lands in game-making-land and what said game from game-making-land is (assuming he's staying in game-making-land, of course).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, he has spoken a lot about how busy he gets with all his various projects, and it's not hard to imagine that the managerial responsibilities and headaches that come with being a co-owner of a reasonably-sized business are by far the least fun of them.  Hopefully he got a nice buyout of his ownership share.  But even if he didn't, 12 years of salary has got to be more than could have been reasonably hoped for when he signed onto Feargus's crazy "go it alone" scheme. 

Best of luck, Chris!

Edited by Enoch

If that is the case he hasn't been demoted yet. http://forums.obsidian.net/user/13-chris-avellone/

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

What were the disagreements over?

PoE. Chris wanted to take a different diraction with the game. Though these are only rumors, so they might be completely wrong. :)

I would say that if that was the case, it would had been Josh who would had left, as in end of the day MCA is one of the people who pays (now possibly paid) Josh's salary. Meaning that if there was disagreement about direction where PoE should go then that disagreement ultimately was between owners of Obsidian (from which MCA is/was one).

EDIT: But on the topic, it is bit sad to see MCA to leave Obsidian as he is excellent in what he does and he is become somewhat the public was of Obsidian.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

Damn, hope he does something soon.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My guess is he wants to be more creative and less management and/or a chance to work on some sort of dream project.  He wasn't the main creative force behind any of New Vegas, South Park, Pillars or Dungeon Siege; it's a been a long time he's really been the main guy on a project that has gotten released other than the New Vegas DLC and even that he to work within the existing framework already created by Gonzalez and Sawyer.

• Like 1

He said he "can't say any more at this time".  E3 is just around the corner...  what if he shows up on stage...  during Activision's presentation?

sting-is-sting-o.gif

Swerve

Yes, I did post that just as an excuse to post another ridiculous wrestling gif.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸