Who owns BG3: The Black Hound?

kensu

According to the Wikipedia article, Black Isle's stab at Baldur's Gate 3 was about 80% done when it was canceled.

Who owns the resources and code to this?

I'm wondering because there have been some rumors that Obsidian might have some involvement with the Overhaul Games attempt to make BG3 (even though they've deneied that.)

1aw3tiY.png

Unsure about resources and code, I'm pretty sure it's not Obsidian. It would also make little sense to resurrect the actual code/assets at this stage. For those reasons and more, a partnership with Beamdog is indeed unlikely. Beamdog probably wants to do a BG3 or something like it themselves - they're working now on a bridger game between BG1 & 2, though I have zero confidence in their ability.

• Like 2

OE owns the art assets right? The Black Hound tavern in PoE has the pic on the wall that was associated with the game (Dude walking with dog)

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think Interplay still owns the assets. I don't recall them being sold at their fire sale auction when they filed for bankruptcy.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Beamdog probably wants to do a BG3 or something like it themselves - they're working now on a bridger game between BG1 & 2, though I have zero confidence in their ability.

I've not run into any of the new content in the Enhanced Editions yet, mostly because I've not played through them yet despite owning both on Steam and on GoG, but I'd likely buy a bridge game even if it wasn't great because I know one of their artists and have been friends with her for awhile. :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Obsidian has nothing to do with BG3:BH, no matter how many people worked on it.

The owner was probably Interplay or Atari, but as anything related to D&D it's buried deep under a mountain of licensing rights and safely out of reach of anyone.