Update #97: Pillars of Eternity Card Game: Lords of the Eastern Reach

"shipping delays beyond our control such as the closure of ports due to weather or labor disputes."

I just noticed this in their Risks and Challenges section, it seems that they have learned something something about shipping and how people will react when unforeseen things happen. 

Gotta be honest, I think this sounds like a terrible idea.

I don't think PoE is popular enough to denote a card game. Even though it's hit it's kickstarter goal, the amount of people backing it seems pretty limited.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I dunno jack about card game markets or something, but I just don't see how this'll turn much of a profit for Obsidian beyond the initial kickstarter profits.

This board game is made by http://www.zeroradiusgames.com/ and they will get the lion share of the profit. Obsidian will get some bits of it, if it sells are high, so in that sense this "project" is doing very well, Obsidian is not in it for profit, just to spread the earlier mentioned "brand". I will post the link to this profit sharing, as soon as i find it again. (or one of you Obsidianer's could poke in and clarify your intentions)

Yeah spinoff products like this are just meant to make brand stronger. Which is probably why they decided to use Kickstarter as it gives spinoff product much greater coverage than trying to market game via more traditional channels. As now I have seen several articles about it in computer/console gaming magazines that don't usually cover board games.

This seems cool! :D

I'm debating with myself whether to back it or not though, in all honesty. I'm not very much for board games, but I want to have this one still, to support the Pillars of Eternity brand.

Is there a digital version of the board game discussed?

The idea came up internally before the Kickstarter, but they decided against it. There doesn't seem to be much pressure for it in the comments, so I doubt they'll reconsider. Considering that, I just pledged a symbolic amount to stay informed.

geezooey, they're still a month out and already at like $84k. They need a stretch goal that includes background music or sound effects so you have sounds of city's or dungeons/ sewers or whatever. Maybe battle music... Or maybe they could license this guys stuff he created. It would be natural expansion to create 3d figurines too of boss monsters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1281758745/professional-mp3-background-loops-for-role-playing/description

Cool. Some people were talking about PoE as a brand, well, it was always intended to be, as far as I know. As long as they don't start spreading everything out on a wafer-thin veneer like Bioware, I don't mind at all.

Gotta be honest, I think this sounds like a terrible idea.

I don't think PoE is popular enough to denote a card game. Even though it's hit it's kickstarter goal, the amount of people backing it seems pretty limited.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I dunno jack about card game markets or something, but I just don't see how this'll turn much of a profit for Obsidian beyond the initial kickstarter profits.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure it'll be a nice card game and everything, and it comes down to how it functions. If it's actually more like a board game - but with cards as the base - and not akin to Magic the Gathering and so on, I can see it working. Not a huge success, maybe, but a profit, definitely.

This seems cool! :D

I'm debating with myself whether to back it or not though, in all honesty. I'm not very much for board games, but I want to have this one still, to support the Pillars of Eternity brand.

All we really need is a good scanner and I'm sure we can run it over Roll20. It'd be nice if they'd release digital kits with high-resolution versions of all the pieces and such for digital/online use (or aritstry, or whatever) but I doubt that'll happen.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg