Full Making of Documentary is Now Live!

Yes, the technical side of the game is clearly the best thing about it IMO. I deduct a couple of points for overusing procedural blur behind lights in the environment art (thus blurring the art) and for the poor performance with lots of units.

Combat and Narrative were both massive let downs for me though.

Edited by Sensuki

By the way, I was checking the #'s on a steam app, & it looks like they've sold over 350k units just on steam. So for all intents and purposes this should have been a big success. :) I wonder what the budget will be like going forward?

P.S. What was the budget like for the IWD games Josh worked on back in the day, or for any of the old infinity engine games? I can't imagine it was more than what they raised. Some of those games were made start to finish in less than a year.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

The documentary shows the human quality of your work. It has a touch of greatness. Thank you for this precious gift.

I am still playing PoE, very slowly, it's possibly already 100 hours and I am still in Act II and haven't visited Twin Elms nor Raedric's Hold yet. It's a fantastic place to spend time in each evening after dinner. My feedback will come once I have seen the conclusion, but I can imagine perfectly to agree with our adversary in the end.

There are a couple of things for which I have to congratulate you right away. The music and sound is incredible. There are places in which I just have to sit and soak in the atmosphere, listening to the music and sound. Its quality is astounding, luckily a vendor convinced me to get a Gigabyte mainboard with a 108db SNR and excellent codec built-in (beats the quality of my dedicated HiFi CD player every day), and with the audio cable connected to a HiFi stereo system with proper boxes, oh boy, PoE feels like music given life. The art, architecture and environments work perfectly in unison with the music.

The other absolute high note is PoE's voice acting, which is of course a credit to your writing as well. The dialog I had with Durance and his rhetorical use of "Murder you?" is deserving of an award. Lady Webb also comes to mind as a performance that draws the player truly into the game, simply because she hits the mark perfectly.

Around 1:18:00 They interview a guy in this black shirt, I don't remember him at any point prior in the documentary and they didn't have a name tag for him at 1:18:00. Does anyone know who he is?

He's introduced earlier during the party, Shane DeFreest - Director of Marketing/Public Relations

• Like 2

The documentary is just great! Thx you very much for making this.

You all look like a big family and I can see that you are enjoying making games. 

I am looking forward to support your future projects both so I could enjoy your games and for you to have a chance to fulfill your dreams.

I hope you learned a lot of things also about your fellow gamers and supporters and that you will allow us again to participate in creating your next game.

Best,

Aa

I really loved this doc! :)

As I've already praised Josh, George, MCA, Brandon and Eric in other threads and discussions, and also Kaz, Tim and Justin, I'd like to take the time to say this to Hector, Bobby, Antonio, Polina, Mark and Dimitri (and if I forgot you on this list, I meant you too ;) ):

You guys rock!!! So much hard work and talents in spades! You made this game come to life and be this vibrant world with old cultures appear like, super-duper-believable. Thx! :yes:  :wub:

My other special thanks goes to Adam. You're not just a coder ace, but also quite the leader! It wasn't easy, I suspect, to be part of the push and pull process with a creative visionary like Josh, while you were trying to keep the books in order throughout this long process.

Congratz on a great game. I'm looking forward to your next little masterpiece!

P.S. And, of course, Feargus is Feargasarus, timeless and fierce. ;)

EDIT: "Alarm! Alarm!"

Adam: "You got to have power to make games." 8)

EDIT2: Justin: Obsidian lobby musical brilliance! "Do Not Weep" makes me weep, as in very moving and beautiful music.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Very well done. Such an emotional experience for you guys as well as the players. It's very obvious that everyone at Obsidian put their heart into the game and it really shows. Keep the team small and all your future games will be successful!

And special thanks to Tony Jacobsen and Mike Mitchell, who apparently did all the work on the whole documentary! :)

Edited by Varana

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I watched the documentary - enjoyed it a bunch. The video had me chuckling a bit when the music composer stated Josh was multi-talented genius and was the tenor for the choir.

Standing a few years after backing this game I'm glad I did it. Keep up the good work. Cheers.

Finally finished it. Made me so happy to see the hard work of Obsidian pay off. I hope PoE was a huge financial success for you guys. I still can't believe how close Obsidian was to shutting down. Was this cancelled console game the infamous Aliens RPG? Or something else?

Regardless, I enjoyed the documentary.

This is nice to see! I'm wondering why a Kickstarter update didn't go out. Ironically the KS update that was sent the same day this announcement was made indicated that the Road to Eternity was still being finalized.

Oh well, so I'm getting to this a week late. Not the end of the world... but would have preferred to watch on May 8, which was my birthday. Now I'll have to "settle" for a belated BD present. Off to download.

I'm betting there are a lot of backers who are also in the dark about this being available. Hopefully an email and/or KS update will be sent. What's the point of "getting in early" if you don't know you're in?

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke