A proper review of Pillars from avid rpg player

Let my point this out to you, this is a long read but ive taken great depths to pinpoint every aspect for your reading pleasure.

Hmm where to start with this game, I was enthralled with anticipation at this game from the beggining and had high hopes for it with all the trailers out, I had watched for the kickstarter. My first character was a wild female orlan cipher and having no idea of the lore involved I greatly enjoyed all the glossary references and easy to access information. My character quickly developed into a crossbow and was heavy into support/high damge.

Characters seemed not to develop any characteristics or persuation adjustments being apparently a looked down upon race, gender nor my area of choice for a background played any part to the story whatsoever, I kept asking myself what was the point other than to boost my stats which is the atribute sheets sole function. There were very few excemptions for encounters such as the knight crucible at the entrance of the building clearly having issues. In contrast faction disposition played more important roles and that of choices made.The fleshed out bits were more about the cruciable, the dozens, townships ect, it seemed like a push towards creating more lore-worldly game rather than centred on your character (perhaps to build upon in a second release?).

NPCS were great and I really enjoyed all aspects in persuing to finish each storyline, however there felt a huge lean towards playing a good alighnment styled character, and when I mean this all the choices seemed to reflect towards the betterment of everyone not just yourself. Characters in your party tend to stray towards more personal mental issues and at one point I felt like locking all my party in the sanitarium, I think other than the chanter and the godlike it seemed like everyone was suffering from a congnitive funtion whether it was having less of a soul, a double personality, maternity, struggle of belief in a god, eccentric eratic behavior ect. I would of rathered more variety in quest dialog and personal banter especially playing my second playthrough as a priest of eothas npcs have little reaction in this case Durance being a priest of Magran to your character build which was a huge letdown.

Immersion/Lore was probally the thing that kept me playing till the end, and although chunks of opportunites were missed in reactions to the protagonist, what made this game was all the different relgions, districts and creatures how you developed your combat from encounters. The scripted choices were one of the most awe catching pieces of this game trying to solve puzzles, using items to open or cross area's ect. This is something I would like to see more of in games.

Skill sytem: I loved the skill systems principle; However there was much inbalance such as survival did not play no where near enough of a role to justify points to be spent on. Yes there were dialog for survival but few, in comparison to having heavy development in mechanics/athletics/lore which were primarily used. The leveling up system itself was very d&d inspired and I liked the system.

The only other letdown was when you picked your perks and in the offensive category it had specific references to creatures. Looking through your glossary none of the creatures are labeled in your glossary so what you thaught was a perk agaist Beasts was actually a Wilder. only on the wiki on the internet is the creatures explained. I dont know about you but Stag category sounds like it should be placed into wilder, and dragon doesnt really come to mind under the stag category?

Few notes to make: 

I absolutely hated the camping system, can not rest in dungeons without a campfire, the fact it would probally draw more attention to you from the light and there was 0 monster encounters sleeping was also a shame. I can see the benifits of having a campfire system but it would of been far better to give 0 resting bonuses or Hit points using no campfire so you can aquire your spells back.

Crafting was great; I did not use it enough in my first playthough but second time I made heaps of potions, this should be more emphasized in the tutorial next time rather than the odd crippled limb needed to be rested. (with that thief guy you rescue/kill at the start)

Keep: Great idea but I felt it needed more of a political role, only at the end of the game did it seem to get the reverence it was all made out to be.

Dialog language: Fampyr/Vampire stuff. Honestly I didn't care about it really I thaught it was odd but seriously there are better things to be looking around at this game than a couple of jumbled up re-written names.

Backer npcs; Honestly I never even read any storyline from these npcs that you could reach your soul out. I felt this broke the game, and though understandly these players backed the game the developers should have taken greater lenths to put in perameters to reduce the amount of godlike  and lore breaking npcs. They also tend to have far unique clothing distinct which would make me think they were important. In turn made it annoying as they could of been used instead as quest giving characters.

Graphics: 4/5

Storyline: 4/5

Combat System: 5/5

Skill System: 3/5

Dialog and Lore: 2/5

18/25 result

Edited by kingthrall

it seemed like everyone was suffering from a congnitive funtion whether it was having less of a soul, a double personality, womanhood, struggle of belief in a god, eccentric ect. 

lel

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

it seemed like everyone was suffering from a congnitive funtion whether it was having less of a soul, a double personality, womanhood, struggle of belief in a god, eccentric ect. 

lel

Yeah I kinda made a stupid face in disbelief from reading that.

Edited by kaiki

If I read it correctly, it's struggles with womanhood, not womanhood itself. In case of the Grieving Mother, you have to admit she has issues with her maternal instinct leading to morally questionable actions.

womanhood/maternity grieving mother stuff, she clearly has issues, case in point. lol though you guys picking a single word out on me though

Gotcha. By the amount of misogyny I see on the internet I assumed you meant all women should be locked up. My apologies, I do agree that Grieving Mother has some issues.

Though, I also laughed at the idea that struggling with faith and being eccentric would warrant being put into an asylum.

Edited by kaiki
  • Like 1

Eccentric would refer to Hiravias, right? He doesn't bathe and has a horrible sense of humor, I second the motion to put him into an asylum.

No, not really. But he still belongs there more than Eder. Eder is a very down-to-earth guy with relatable problems, he's universally liked here, what did you find annoying about him? Tbh, only Durance and the Grieving Mother are truly disturbing. Thanks, Chris.

Eccentric would refer to Hiravias, right? He doesn't bathe and has a horrible sense of humor, I second the motion to put him into an asylum.

No, not really. But he still belongs there more than Eder. Eder is a very down-to-earth guy with relatable problems, he's universally liked here, what did you find annoying about him? Tbh, only Durance and the Grieving Mother are truly disturbing. Thanks, Chris.

I'm not so sure that I'd say that Durance and GM belong in the asylum. I'd say that Durance belongs in a Magranic monastery, while GM needs a lot of psychological counseling.  It's not like GM can't function out in the world.  But her issues are pretty severe.

And I agree about Eder.  His problem is entirely something that many people can relate to.  And he's very laid back and likeable.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure that I'd say that Durance and GM belong in the asylum. I'd say that Durance belongs in a Magranic monastery, while GM needs a lot of psychological counseling.  It's not like GM can't function out in the world.  But her issues are pretty severe.

And I agree about Eder.  His problem is entirely something that many people can relate to.  And he's very laid back and likeable.

I guess people miss the point that when you the protagonist have psycological Warden issues and nearly every member in your party is somewhat unstable it tones down the variety and immersion of each character. I would of liked to see something more domestic or buisness to be taken care of quests involved or even aquiring some rare item like a flower to cure some slow leathal poison just off the top of my head.

. I would of liked to see something more domestic or buisness to be taken care of quests involved or even aquiring some rare item like a flower to cure some slow leathal poison just off the top of my head.

Whoa, that idea with a lethal slow poison is actually a bold new move. My imagination obediently draws me the picture: you are going into the tavern and one of the guests has a score to settle with one of your team members. He cowardly poisons your team mate and disappears and you should hurry, otherwise your old buddy will be as dead as a stone. It'd be good to have such a quest somewhere in some rpg.

• Like 1