Pillars of Eternity voice actors: Who voices who?

Note: I wasn't sure in which forum to post this (General Discussion or Stories). I decided to post it in this one in case that a developper (like Justin Bell who's the audio director (and therefore, might have access to that info)) might catch it.

Being a bit of a VA nerd, I'm curious on who voices who in this game (especially since the voice acting, even if there wasn't that much, was really good). I recognized a few voices, but some still eludes me. Here's what's known and I'll probably update it when I come across some more info.

Cast list

Orion Acaba

Valerie Arem

Edward Bosco

Brandon Cole

Elspeth Eastman

Richard Epcar : Caravan Master Odema, Raedric VII, Spirit of Od Nua (no proof, but they really sound like Richard Epcar)

Todd Haberkorn : (a big maybe (I'm really not sure), but he may have voiced Thaos)

Mela Lee

Matthew Mercer : Aloth, Edér, Male Player: Sinister Voice (confirmed by Matthew Mercer on Twitter)

Dave B. Mitchell : Narrator (according to IMDB)

Liam O'Brien : Heodan (again, no proof. Just recognized him)

Tara Platt

Sam Riegel (credited as Sam Regal)

Cindy Robinson : Calisca (according to IMDB)

Gigi Sarroino

Patrick Seitz : Kana (Confirmed on Facebook), Sparfel (no proof, but that voice is unmistakable)

Stephanie Sheh

Michael Sinterniklaas

Christopher Corey Smith (credited as Chris Smith)

That's all that I could find (mainly going through the game (both in-game and it's files) and gameplay videos (yeah, I haven't been able to play as much as I would like). If anyone (especially the devs) can provide any more info, just reply.

Maybe I should add a list of characters with spoken lines, to make it easier.

Edit: Added Stephanie Sheh. How did I miss that?

Edited by POLE7645
  • Like 1

Does anyone know who voiced Aldhelm? It's one of the best performances I've heard.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I wouldn't name Eder as one of the best voices in the game. He has good lines, but voice ?

I liked Osric in Expedition Hall, Iovara, Hiravias (ask him to relate his Staelgar adventure. He sounds like he was there.)

Maerwald was pathetic in a bad way. Who voiced him ? The Od Nua guy ? I wasn't impressed either. The twin dryads sound like bimbos.

• Like 1

Liam O'Brien, so that's his name!  I always recognise his voice as the guy from Ergo Proxy but he never seems to get credited.  Think he was the mage in the dream world in Dragon Age Origins too.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Are all the female player voice sets from the same voice actor? Because there's really not much variety between them.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The male voice acting was very good.  Kana is one of my favorites.  However I found the use of the standard American accent over done and a bit boring.  The female VAing was good but did sound as if only one or two people did it.

I also think who ever did Durance was good at doing that cranky, annoying part.

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Wait, what, no way ... Aloth, Edér, and Iselmyr are the same actor ...  :blink:

Also, I agree, Aldhelm is incredibly well-voiced. 

no wonder people are shipping eder and aloth, they're basically the same person  :dancing:

• Like 1

xosmi.gif

Wait, what, no way ... Aloth, Edér, and Iselmyr are the same actor ...  :blink:

Also, I agree, Aldhelm is incredibly well-voiced. 

no wonder people are shipping eder and aloth, they're basically the same person  :dancing:

They are??!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I don't like dissing on the actual voice actors, because I'm sure that they all did a fine job.  That said, I found some, not all by any stretch, but some of the voices used for the primary Companions to be rather bland.  On the flip side, some were fine.

Eder and Aloth seemed fine to me.  Durance was great (though I still believe that the character should have been a dwarf, since his gravely voice and portrait positively SCREAMED "I'm a DWARF!!!").  Hiravias, despite how little I've had him in my party, seems to have a nicely distinctive voice.  Pallegina's voice was wonderful.  She sounded both foreign (to the Dyrwood) and exotic, which in my view made for a great fit for the character.

OTOH, despite liking Sagani's character, I find her voice more than a little bland and homogenized for the character.  This isn't a rip on the voice actress.  Her voice is nice.  It just doesn't fit how I perceive the Sagani character.  I'm thinking that voice with a good strong eskimo/inuit (?) accept might have been better, a little more exotic.  Heck, some other accent that was created a sense of being both foreign (to the Dyrwood) and exotic, with a touch of being from a frontier-ish land, would have been nice.  Sagani sounds too much like she's from some village not that far away in the Dyrwood, if one sort of accepts that a rather homogenous American sounding voice/accent is the local Dyrwoodan accent.

Kana's big deep voice sounded fine for the character, though perhaps a stronger foreign/exotic accent on top of it might have made the character sound even better.

Grieving Mother, being from someplace in or near the Dyrwood (at least as I understood it), probably has an appropriate accent and her voice does seem to match how I perceived her. 

As for Thaos, his voice sounds OK, but I wish that there'd been a more pronounced foreign accent to it to make it more exotic and memorable.

One other place where I have a gripe about the voices is the voices you have to choose from for the custom built characters.  At least to my ear, each of the female and male voices all sound about the same for each gender, with only some slight tweaking by a single female and male voice actor to try to fit the voice type called for (i.e. mystic, stoic, etc.).  I wish that there'd been different actual voice actors for each type to create some seriously distinctive voices.  Right now, it just feels like there's 2 voices, one male, one female. 

I like Eder's and Aloh's "voices".    All the voices in the game are well done but there could be more variety.  I am surprised at how many voice actors there are.  I would have thought maybe at best half that many.  The voice of the Dwarf that was hanged is very good.    Pallegina's voice is also good and I think fits the character well.

My biggest complaint is the lack of accent (to me)  in many of the voices.  How many people living in the USA actually speak what we call standard American English?   It is an accent that was developed for radio announcers.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I like Eder's and Aloh's "voices".    All the voices in the game are well done but there could be more variety.  I am surprised at how many voice actors there are.  I would have thought maybe at best half that many.  The voice of the Dwarf that was hanged is very good.    Pallegina's voice is also good and I think fits the character well.

My biggest complaint is the lack of accent (to me)  in many of the voices.  How many people living in the USA actually speak what we call standard American English?   It is an accent that was developed for radio announcers.

Well it's better than game of thrones, and how all of westeros (besides Dorne) has various English accents. And considering Dorne is mediterranian and the north leads up to their Arctic circle the landmass has to be pretty huge.

It's good to criticize things you love.

Sagani sounds much too bland for someone from an isolated tundra village ! She describes Massuk as a tight-knit community, almost a family! As a general rule, the more isolated a community is, the weirder and more conservative it is. Also, for 5 years her only company was Itumaak, which may have 5 Intelligence, but wouldn't be able to teach her a flawless American accent. Pallegrina sounds like a foreigner, no question about it. Kana has no accent, UNTIL he mentions some foreign names, like Gabrannos, Tanvii ora Toha - then his accent is thick. You get an impression he simply speaks many languages well, like a scholar with a knack for distant travels would.

• Like 1

Sagani sounds much too bland for someone from an isolated tundra village ! She describes Massuk as a tight-knit community, almost a family! As a general rule, the more isolated a community is, the weirder and more conservative it is. Also, for 5 years her only company was Itumaak, which may have 5 Intelligence, but wouldn't be able to teach her a flawless American accent. Pallegrina sounds like a foreigner, no question about it. Kana has no accent, UNTIL he mentions some foreign names, like Gabrannos, Tanvii ora Toha - then his accent is thick. You get an impression he simply speaks many languages well, like a scholar with a knack for distant travels would.

I think that this goes off the rails of the topic a bit.  Instead, I'd have said that the more isolated the community, the more likely it is to have an unusual accent and/or speak a different language.  This is why I said above that I wish that the PoE devs had gotten someone, or asked the Sagani voice actress to go for a much more exotic accent, instead of this really bland, homogenized (non) accent.  She sounds like she should come from Gilded Vale or Dyrwood Village (or middle America), rather than an isolated community on Nassituq.

Woah. To be honest, I didn't expect that many answers, even if I didn't get much info.

On a side note, replying the game again, I'm pretty sure Patrick Seitz also voiced Sparfel (the lookout guy at the beginning. He only got two lines).

OK. If Cindy Robinson has indeed voiced Calisca (as IMDB seems to show), then she definitely voiced Sagani. These voices sounds really similar.

By the way, you think I should try to contact Justin Bell? Since he's the audio director, he's the most likely person to have access to this information.

• Like 1