Armor Enchanting Bugs?

WillyPete

Question

I'm noticing that many different armor are not showing to correct value after upgrading.  For example stock Exceptional Mail crush value is 7, abut after applying "crush proofing" it only jumps to 8 instead of 10 since it's a  +3 upgrade.  I notice some armors upgrade fine, so I'm assuming it is in fact a bug and not a twist on rules I don't understand.

Another example is Aloth's leather armor which have the following stats: DR 6 / Slash 9 / Corrode 3.  Upgrading to "fine(+2)" changes it to DR 8 / Slash 12 / Corrode 4.  Enchanting it further to boost it's low corrode stat I went with Corrode Proofing (+3) and that  changed DR to 8 / Slash 12 / Corrode 6.

Are these stats based on something else?  Possible bug?

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

Mail: 

Base DR = 9

vs Slash (150%) = (9 * 1.5) = 13.5 (rounded up to 14)

vs Crush (50%) = (9 * 0.5) = 4.5 (rounded up to 5)

Exceptional Mail:

Base DR = 9+4 or 13

vs Slash (150%) = (13 * 1.5) = 19.5 (rounded up to 20)

vs Crush (50%) = (13 * 0.5) = 6.5 (rounded up to 7)

vs Crush w/ Crush-Proof (50%) = ((13+3) * 0.5)) = 8 <-----

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Mail: 

Base DR = 9

vs Slash (150%) = (9 * 1.5) = 13.5 (rounded up to 14)

vs Crush (50%) = (9 * 0.5) = 4.5 (rounded up to 5)

Exceptional Mail:

Base DR = 9+4 or 13

vs Slash (150%) = (13 * 1.5) = 19.5 (rounded up to 20)

vs Crush (50%) = (13 * 0.5) = 6.5 (rounded up to 7)

vs Crush w/ Crush-Proof (50%) = ((13+3) * 0.5)) = 8 <-----

That is how it currently works, but it is not how enchantment description say they work, so it is bug in mechanics or how enchantments are described. Because player can't remove enchantments from equipment it would be quite nice if enchantment would do what they say they do. As now game don't anyway communicate that armors lower DRs are actually percentage based and that those percentages also effect all enchantments that are placed in those armors. 

No argument from me that it could be a little more clear, but if we're going to be technical, it *does* work the way it says it does. +3 *is* being added to Crush. Just not how most of us intuitively thought they meant.

If he had opted for Slash-Proof, it would have been ((13+3) * 1.5) = 24. Still a bug because it added +4 instead of +3?

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

No argument from me that it could be a little more clear, but if we're going to be technical, it *does* work the way it says it does. +3 *is* being added to Crush. Just not how most of us intuitively thought they meant.

If he had opted for Slash-Proof, it would have been ((13+3) * 1.5) = 24. Still a bug because it added +4 instead of +3?

I would say yes, because it don't match how armor values and enchantment bonuses are described to player.

Same goes to lash enchantments in weapons that do 25% (or what percentage is said in enchantment or ability which have similar effects) of weapon damage to 25% enemy's DR , against that damage type and weapons DR bypass don't have any effect on this, which is again feature that is not communicated to player in anyway or form. 

If player can't see mathematics of system from descriptions in the game then lack of such descriptions is in my opinion bug or flaw in the game.

lol. But it does work how it is described to the player. Just not how most of us *think* it is being described :)

Two things:

1) no argument that the description could more accurately reflect the mechanics. Shame on Obsidian for making us dig like that.

2) the poor guy was just looking for an explanation. I'm trying to help. Don't shoot the messenger, alright?

Moving on now? :)

• Like 1

lol. But it does work how it is described to the player. Just not how most of us *think* it is being described :)

Two things:

1) no argument that the description could more accurately reflect the mechanics. Shame on Obsidian for making us dig like that.

2) the poor guy was just looking for an explanation. I'm trying to help. Don't shoot the messenger, alright?

Moving on now? :)

No it don't work as it is described, because DR values are given as integers, which don't necessary even tell you real DR value, as for example mail which says that it has DR 5 against crush, even though in game mathematic it actually only has 4.5, that is not in my opinion anyway describing player how it actually works. 

And enchantment say that it gives +3 to DR in question not +3 to armor's default DR multiplied by DR multiplier for that damage type that armor has. So it don't describe anyway what really happens.

My comments aren't aimed towards you anyway, but instead of Obsidian's QA people that read these topics to point out that there is bug/flaw in the game when it comes to mechanic that OP asked about, even if it works as developers indented, because game fails to message their intend and accurate information to player, especially when we speak information that actually has effect on decisions that player would make in the game if they had accurate information instead of inaccurate information that they are now presented.

Apparently you and I have different feelings on what constitutes a "bug" and what constitutes "unclear description". They may update the errata to include a better description of the mechanics, because a better description is necessary. Failure to describe how something works doesn't mean it isn't working as intended.

And with that, I'm done here. The OP has his explanation. Hopefully he finds it helpful.

Apparently you and I have different feelings on what constitutes a "bug" and what constitutes "unclear description". They may update the errata to include a better description of the mechanics, because a better description is necessary. Failure to describe how something works doesn't mean it isn't working as intended.

And with that, I'm done here. The OP has his explanation. Hopefully he finds it helpful.

I used word bug because it was what OP used, but as you see I actually used expressions "bug or flaw" and "bug/flaw" to show that I don't think that it is actual bug in software necessary (if it works as developers have intended, which I don't know because I don't have any knowledge how they intended this system to work), but it is something that they should but in their issue tracker anyway to be fixed regardless is it issue in mechanics or descriptions.