Fomenting Hatred

Valsuelm

Manufacturing a false narrative and fomenting hatred happens all the time in the modern world. It's usually quite obvious too if one bothers to do a little digging and/or thinking. Rarely is it so blatantly obvious:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/22/killing-jews-is-worship-posters-will-soon-appear-on-nyc-subways-and-buses

When did they patch buses and subways into PoE? :blink:

My bad, I think I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. It was meant for 'Way Off Topic'.

Thanks to whomever moved it.

Edited by Valsuelm

At first I was expecting this to actually have some sort of Jihadi group in the US behind this. On the bright side 'American Freedom Defense Initiative' would be an awesome name for a faction in a modern warfare RTS like Generals.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The only thing that i'm hating is how apparently you can manipulate mass media by catering to the ones that own it. I mean, why else go with Jews when the majority of people living in the US are white?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The only thing that i'm hating is how apparently you can manipulate mass media by catering to the ones that own it. I mean, why else go with Jews when the majority of people living in the US are white?

It´s pretty pathetic and should be unacceptable. The sad thing is, enough people will look at this and go with the whole "poor jews" bull****, while overlooking that this is hatred stirred against muslims. It´s pure demonization, Nethanyahu will be proud.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

There goes Orogun fomenting hatred! :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Manufacturing a false narrative and fomenting hatred happens all the time in the modern world. It's usually quite obvious too if one bothers to do a little digging and/or thinking. Rarely is it so blatantly obvious:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/22/killing-jews-is-worship-posters-will-soon-appear-on-nyc-subways-and-buses

I'm not too fond of hate speech laws. Something about the state stopping random yahoos from broadcasting vile lies doesn't sit well with me. I'll admit that this is pushing it, though.

What bothers me is what this fomented hatred will crystallize into: more support for fascists to continue abusing laws and outright abrogating rights, and consolidation of a police state under the guise of "security and protection" from "terrorists".

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It´s pretty pathetic and should be unacceptable. The sad thing is, enough people will look at this and go with the whole "poor jews" bull****, while overlooking that this is hatred stirred against muslims. It´s pure demonization, Nethanyahu will be proud.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not angry because of who they choose to demonize and who to victimize but rather I'm angry that in an country that is predominantly one race it is that same race that creates the lowest amount of outrage when offended or threatened. I'm just a bit fed up with public opinion and how little the news media actually represents it, where it not for the fact that the US is a place where socializing isn't a necessity and that politics very rarely enter discussion people would have realized by now how little the opinions of their immediate friends and family match what the medias says people think. Or maybe i'm wrong in thinking that it is manufactured.  

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not angry because of who they choose to demonize and who to victimize but rather I'm angry that in an country that is predominantly one race it is that same race that creates the lowest amount of outrage when offended or threatened. I'm just a bit fed up with public opinion and how little the news media actually represents it, where it not for the fact that the US is a place where socializing isn't a necessity and that politics very rarely enter discussion people would have realized by now how little the opinions of their immediate friends and family match what the medias says people think. Or maybe i'm wrong in thinking that it is manufactured.  

I get your point and i think you are right with this being manufactured. It would anger me no matter at what kind of people this would be aimed at. It just happens to anger me even more because it is clearly not a coincidence with the ongoing negotiations with Iran and Israels stance against that country.

Also there is also the double standart that bothers me, if this would be the other way around, people would be outraged and hardly anyone would speak for it because of the "anti-semitic" card being played. It kinda surprises me that there is not more of an outrage in a country that seems so easily offended by everything and anything.

Anyway, on other news New York´s MTA is trying to stop it, which i give them credit for:

http://sputniknews.com/news/20150425/1021354584.html

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Manufacturing a false narrative and fomenting hatred happens all the time in the modern world. It's usually quite obvious too if one bothers to do a little digging and/or thinking. Rarely is it so blatantly obvious

I agree that they are provocative. I am not sure what narrative (false or otherwise) you refer to.

As an atheist I find all religions all equally intolerant on paper, its the interpenetration that mater and is usually follows the social progress. With that in mind, I suspect that the goal of this campaign is to provoke outrage, forcing notable Muslim figures to rebuke them.

I agree with the idea (going by our previous discussion on the topic of Islamist terrorism), but I doubt that this campaign will do much in the USA. We need notable Muslim figures in musim world (95% in asia and Africa) to denounce violence and promote tolerance, like it is being done by all other major religions.

As an atheist I find all religions all equally intolerant on paper, i

Not all religions are equally intolerant. Some are worse than others.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Indeed, and I think we actually need to break it down by individual (temporally/geographically/theologically distinct) denominations and sects within each religion.

There's the Christianity of Martin Luther King and Sophie Scholl, and there's the Christianity of Westboro Baptist Church.

There's the spiritual/esoteric/polite Tibetan variety of Buddhism (which has successfully spread to the West), and there's the traditional/hard-core/zero-tolerance variety of Buddhism of some parts of South East Asia that is no stranger to violent persecution of Christians, Muslims and believers of indigenous animistic religions.

And so on.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Indeed, and I think we actually need to break it down by individual (temporally/geographically/theologically distinct) denominations and sects within each religion.

There's the Christianity of Martin Luther King and Sophie Scholl, and there's the Christianity of Westboro Baptist Church.

There's the spiritual/esoteric/polite Tibetan variety of Buddhism (which has successfully spread to the West), and there's the traditional/hard-core/zero-tolerance variety of Buddhism of some parts of South East Asia that is no stranger to violent persecution of Christians, Muslims and believers of indigenous animistic religions.

And so on.

Thats a fair point. No one should demonize one religion because one part of it does something horrible. ISIS doesn´t represent the whole Islamic world and their believes, WB church not all christians in the US etc.

Being an atheist, i find religion interesting from a historic and sociology point of view, i have no ill will against any.

As an atheist I find all religions all equally intolerant on paper, i

True, there are differences, but keep inmind the context in which it was said: "...its the interpenetration that mater and is usually follows the social progress". In other words its about the people, bad or worse you can find justification for anything you want in any of those texts..

Which is why there is a big difference between Christians\Muslims in African\Asian developing countries and their counterparts in North America\Europe which are usually more educated, older populace, etc...

Thats a fair point. No one should demonize one religion because one part of it does something horrible.

Who said anything about demonizing? Activist using provocative messages to highlight social issues all the time e.g. In the west, Christianity has been the punching bag for a while. If this will lead to prominent Islamic leaders (not in the west) taking a stand against this (not the usual lip service)

Who said anything about demonizing? Activist using provocative messages to highlight social issues all the time e.g. In the west, Christianity has been the punching bag for a while. If this will lead to prominent Islamic leaders (not in the west) taking a stand against this (not the usual lip service)

Uh i did if you can´t read. Highlighting social issues or calling out Muslims with a slogan like "Killing Jews is Worship that draws us close to Allah" is a BIG difference.

What do mean? Taking a stand against this kind of "whatever you want to call it..slogans" or against some non-existing threat from Iran or the legal threat from ISIS? (who are not directing their attacks against Jews in the first place, which again makes this solgans a farce)

Edited by cirdanx

What do mean? Taking a stand against this kind of "whatever you want to call it..slogans"

a. According to the article, this slogan is a direct quote. To be specific it is part of a music video, made by Hamas (the guys that govern in Gaza) and was broadcast as ideological messages on its official TV station (found using quick google).

b. If the situation was reversed i.e. if any member of Israel government would have said this about Palestinians, he would be kicked out and shunned by his own. Meanwhile this is broadcasted by Hamas on official tv...

c. Taking a stand means, that we need less Politically correct language, and more non-western prominent members taking a stand against this.

d. Also Speaking of demonizing. That poster doesn't say this has anything todo with Muslims, it asks a question if you agree. Meanwhile, here is a better googled examples for you.

• Like 1

What do mean? Taking a stand against this kind of "whatever you want to call it..slogans"

a. According to the article, this slogan is a direct quote. To be specific it is part of a music video, made by Hamas (the guys that govern in Gaza) and was broadcast as ideological messages on its official TV station (found using quick google).

b. If the situation was reversed i.e. if any member of Israel government would have said this about Palestinians, he would be kicked out and shunned by his own. Meanwhile this is broadcasted by Hamas on official tv...

c. Taking a stand means, that we need less Politically correct language, and more non-western prominent members taking a stand against this.

d. Also Speaking of demonizing. That poster doesn't say this has anything todo with Muslims, it asks a question if you agree. Meanwhile, here is a better googled examples for you.

a. ok thats what you mean. I´m well aware of the source of this thank you. The problem of this presentation still persists, people will look at this and not think "oh bad Hamas" (most probably don´t know much about it) and will think "bad Muslims". As others have pointed out as well, one should differ between one "small" part of religion/ideology and not reflect it upon all of them. Which i would think should be reasonable, and is (i hope) one of the reasons the MTA tries to ban this things.

b. Are you serious here? You can´t be considering the unspeakable crimes Israel has made against the people of Palestinian. There is a reason why Gaza is called the biggest prison in the world. I mean seriously Netanyahu doesn´t give a **** and also pushes for bombing Iran all the time.

c. Yes i do agree with on that, you are right. That would be a nice change overall, but also a problem is how can they even reach the public? They would need a platform to speak and now think about it, when was the last time a Muslim leader was invited to give an interview about all this mess in the media? Thats a problem.

d. It doesn´t clearly have to say it, it the suggestion that counts, thats how subliminal perception works. It´s something that gets used in marketing all the time. The word Allah (fat, bold and big) alone does the job to associate with Muslim.

This is also not even the worst one, this has been going for some time, see here:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/04/judge-muslims-killing-jews-ads-buses-150422013416574.html

That ad is even worse. Mentioning Islam, Quran, a nice picture of Hitler and coming along with a "stop racism" slogan, WHILE being inherently racist itself. Thats why is said demonization, it´s not a one time thing.