All intended for potd party play. Initially i just wanted to make one or two, then i started thinking what could be the ideal build for them, and made some more, was fun.

Don't hesitate to use whatever you need, that especially goes for armors, front liners have to rock the plate or very close to it, and guys in the back may need to use it as well, if there is a real of chance of getting overrun, but usually their choice of attire can be more greedy.

Wizard

"You thought Aloth was weak"

Tanky control mage, pick control spells and the essential phantom and use a small shield.

Mig 3
Con 10
Dex 8
Per 18
Int 18+
Res 18

Talents
Weapon and Shield style
Cautious Attack
Superior deflection
Arcane Veil
Bonus 1st level spell
Bonus 2nd level spell

Favored Spells
Slicken
Chill Fog

Fleet Feet
Curse of Blackended Sight
Bewildering Spectacle
Miasma of Dull-Mindedness
Infuse With Vital Essence
Expose Vulnerabilities

Llengrath's Displaced Image

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage
Arcane Dampener
Essential Phantom
Confusion
Dimensional Shift
Call to Slumber
Gaze of Adragan
Akremyr's Capricious Hex

"I go down in every fight that matters"

Offensive mage, blast away with a wand and nuke guys

Mig 18+
Con 10
Dex 12
Per 3
Int 18
Res 14

Talents
Scion of Flame
Blast
Arcane Veil
Hardened Veil
Secrets of Rime
Bonus 1st Level Spell / Superior deflection

Favored Spells
Slicken
Chill Fog

Fan of Flames
Fleet Feet
Curse of Blackended Sight
Bewildering Spectacle
Miasma of Dull-Mindedness
Infuse With Vital Essence
Noxious Burst

Fireball

Kalakoth's Minor Blights (Good before level 9)
Llengrath's Displaced Image
Essential Phantom
Confusion
Wall of Flame
Call to Slumber
Blast of Frost

Malignant Cloud
Gaze of Adragan

Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar

Druid

"I can do everything"

He really can, also has best damage spells.

Mig 18+
Con 10
Dex 8
Per 3
Int 18
Res 18

Talents
Weapon and Shield style
Cautious Attack
Secrets of Rime
Superior deflection
Heart of the Storm
Bonus 2nd level spell

Favored Spells
Sunbeam
Winter Wind
Talon's Reach
Blizzard
Returning Storm
Moonwell
Conjure Blight
Calling the World's Maw
Relentless Storm
Conjure Greater Blight

Priest

"As long as i don't die we are in it"

Dying words of a well rounded priest. Just kidding, he prevents death too. Unless party health runs out your guys will keep kicking, and quite hard.

Mig 18
Con 10
Dex 10
Per 3
Int 18+
Res 16

Talents
Interdiction
Weapon and Shield style
Cautious Attack
Inspiring Radiance
Superior deflection
Bonus 2nd level spell

Favored Spells
Armor of Faith
Blessing
Withdraw
Iconic Projection
Consecrated Ground
Repulsing Seal (after l11)
Pillar of Faith
Devotions for the Faithful
Shields for the Faithful
Revive the Fallen
Spark the Souls of the Righteous

Chanter

"Just wait until the ogres show up"

Tank chanter, focus on summons/buffs and somewhat foe disables. Keep in mind bigger shields also penalize the accuracy of chants and invocations, but that doesn't apply to buffs and summons, they automatically succeed. According to combat log, ancient memory and beloved spirits does not scale with mig, nor does any of the chants duration scale with intelligence or their power with mig, but their aoe does scale with intelligence, starting aoe looks to be about 5m. Invocations do scale fully with both.

Aefyllath Ues Mtih Fyr - seemed to be turned off, not working

Mig 3
Con 18
Dex 3
Per 15
Int 18+
Res 18

Talents
Weapon and Shield style
Ancient Memory
Superior deflection
Cautious Attack
Beloved Spirits
One-Handed Style / Bears Fortitude

Favored Chants

Come, Come Soft Winds of death

Blessed Was Wengridh, Quickest of His Tride

Lo, their Endless Host, the Harbingers Doom

Sure-Handed Ila Nocked Her Arrows with Speed

The Dragon Thrashed, the Dragon Wailed (scion of flame has no effect on it)

Favored Invocations

But Reny Daret's Ghost, He Would not Rest

The Thunder Rolled Like Waves on Black Seas

Gernisc Slew the Beast, but Soon Faces Its Kin

At the Sound of His Voice, the Killers Froze Stiff

Oh, But Knock Not on the Door of Urdel and Gurdel

Gernisc's Beast Lit the Night with his Breath

Rise Again, Rise Again, Scions of Adon! (if you can't use a resurrect scroll, instead the previous one)

Rogue

"I can still cut people"

Melee dps with good survivability but best paired with controllers, of course using plate armor always.

Mig 18+
Con 10
Dex 18
Per 12
Int 3
Res 14

Abilities
Blinding Strike
Reckless Assault

Dirty Fighting
Riposte
Adept Evasion
Deathblows

Talents
Wf: Ruffian

Two Weapon Style
Deflecting Assault

Superior Deflection
Vicious Fighting
Bloody Slaughter

"Buckshot"

Ranged rogue with strong burst, uses blunderbuss later.

Mig 18+
Con 15
Dex 18
Per 3
Int 5
Res 16

Abilities
Blinding Strike
Crippling Strike
Deep Wounds
Dirty Fighting
Finishing Blow
Deathblows

Talents
Marksman
Shadowing Beyond
Gunner
Penetrating Shot
Vicious Fighting

Fighter

"I thought i was the dps"

General use "tank" with very decent auto attack, strong with retaliate, enough for anything. Can go without shield too. I don't see much point in dedicated dps fighters.

Mig 18+
Con 10
Dex 8
Per 18
Int 3
Res 18+

Abilities

Knock Down
Defender
Confident Aim

Armored Grace
Weapon Specialization: Ruffian
Unbroken

Talents
Weapon and Shield style
Wary Defender
Superior Deflection
One-Handed Style
Weapon Mastery: Ruffian

Paladin

"I joined the Kind Wayfarers to kill people"

Paladin make ok pure tanks, ranged is obviously not their specialty, nor they stand out in melee dps role. Their supportive skills aren't that impressive either. "On kill" what makes paladin unique and frankly carry his weight in the extended fights of potd.

There is the issue of int, aura starts with 2,5 meter range, that's never going to reach the guys in the back, but can easily reach your teammates on either side of you, with even half the range, auras also tend to get suppressed by superior spells so for example you can skip Armor of Faith if paladin already provides much of that effect for the front line. Even 5m range Inspiring Triumph have trouble considering ranged weapons and spells fly from 8+ meters away and you need to invest heavily to come even close, and int for per encounter abilities is lackluster mainly because those abilities are marginal or situational. This guy makes an excellent retaliation tank, and heals the front liners, he does not have high dps, but he only needs to lasthit.

Resurrect is not picked up because it's terrible with high mig low int, and actually not that good to begin with, just have have 6 lore and 2 res scrolls, it's 225 copper for two and it's far superior.

Mig 18+
Con 18
Dex 3
Per 15
Int 3
Res 18

Kind Wayfarers

Abilities

Flames of Devotion

Zealous Endurance

Inspiring Triumph

Lay on Hands

Righteous Soul

Sworn Enemy

Talents
Strange Mercy
Weapon and Shield Style

Superior Deflection

One-Handed Style

Cautious Attack

Wf: Ruffian (or of any good one hander you have) / The Sword and the Shepherd

Cipher

"Puppeteer"

Stays back and does real dps, while all your opponents are disabled or punching each other. Prefer ranged weapons early, later build into blunderbuss, and focus weak opponents to charge as much focus as possible.

Mig 18
Con 8
Dex 14
Per 3
Int 18+
Res 14

Talents
Biting Whip

Gunner

Draining Whip

Penetrating Shot
Marksman

Favorite spells

Mind Wave

Whisper Of Treason

Eyestrike

Mental Binding

Pain Block

Ringleader

Tactical meld (before fight)

Borrowed Instinct (start of fight)

Amplified Wave

Disintegration

"I am no baby like the Puppeteer"

Controlling offtank. Can take advantage of strong beam spells. 

Mig 18
Con 15
Dex 3
Per 3
Int 18+
Res 18

Talents
Weapon and Shield style
Biting Whip
Superior Deflection

Cautious Attack
One-Handed Style

Draining Whip

Favorite spells

Antipathetic Field

Mind Wave

Whisper Of Treason

Eyestrike

Mental Binding

Ectopsycic echo

Pain Block

Body Attunement

Ringleader

Tactical meld (before fight)

Borrowed Instinct (start of fight)

Amplified Wave

Disintegration

Barbarian

"Conan"

One stands alone gives flat 20 damage to your attacks, that's crazy, highly encouraged to use fast dual wield, and carnage also gives extra attacks to nearby enemies close to your target, albeit i don't feel that advantage should be strongly built on, barbarian is not a guy who you want to send in to get completely surrounded, just enough, and situationally you may want the weaker mobs to not die before stronger one goes down, especially if they are disabled. 3 int is still enough to affect them next to your target. Default is 2 meters. Res is preferred over per because preventing interrupts is more valuable even with dual wield very fast style, and it balances the saves.

Mig 18+
Con 18
Dex 18
Per 3
Int 3
Res 15

Abilities

Frenzy
Savage Defiance
One Stands Alone

Thick-skinned
Blooded
Bloodlust

Talents
Two Weapon Style
Wf: Noble / Wf: Ruffian

Superior Deflection

Accurate Carnage

Bloody Slaughter
Vulnerable Attack (for high dr targets with fast weapons when no one is around)

Ranger

"Bounty hunter"

You know over time there is only one thing matters, being smart, with Marked Prey you guarantee the death of targets, as you get more experienced at level 11 you can keep any target who you can still hit stunned indefinitely. There is no one to tell tales about close fights with you, if it was him and you, he is rotting, definitely without his head if there was a bounty on it.

Mig 18+
Con 8
Dex 18
Per 3
Int 18
Res 10

Favorite Animal Companion

Bear

Abilities

Marked Prey (+35% instead of +20)
Vicious Aim
Stalkers Link

Driving Flight
Arrow Sense
Stunning Shots

Talents
Resilient Companion

Wf: Peasant
Marksman

Penetrating Shot

Superior Deflection

Vicious Companion

"Knight of the Black Army"

You solve your problems by shooting them in the face with the biggest gun, but that's not all you can do. Swift Aim and Wounding Shot works with melee weapons, Vicious Aim does not. Wf: Soldier also gives access to pikes and great swords, and there is one easy to get superb great sword usually no one wants. Melee damage is usually superior, that is also true for the ranger even with Swift Aim until he gets Driving Flight at level 7. After 7 the ranged option is better if the shot can bounce even close range and perfectly usable due to our high resolve, melee is backup plan. Two-Handed Style can included instead of Marksman or Superior Deflection, maybe even Resilient Companion companion if you are heartless. poor bear.

Mig 18+
Con 18
Dex 18
Per 3
Int 3
Res 15

Bear

Abilities

Wounding Shot
Swift Aim
Stalkers Link

Driving Flight
Arrow Sense
Defensive Bond / Stunning Shots

Talents - Ranged Preference
Resilient Companion

Swift and Steady

Wf: Soldier

Gunner

Marksman

Superior Deflection

"Adventurer"

You were on the road as long as you can remember, there was no one else to solve your problems for you but your best friend helped who you take good care of. You didn't have fancy guns, but you were always able to outperform any gun user, and if it came to close combat, there were few more deadly than you.

Mig 18+
Con 18
Dex 18
Per 3
Int 3
Res 15

Bear

Abilities

Wounding Shot
Vicious Aim
Stalkers Link

Driving Flight
Arrow Sense
Marked Prey / Stunning Shots

Talents
Resilient Companion

Wf: Adventurer

Ranged Preference

Penetrating Shot

Marksman

Superior Deflection

Two-Handed Style

Melee Preference

Two-Handed Style

Superior Deflection

Penetrating Shot

Marksman

Monk

"Fisticuffs"

Damage focused but can easily transition into an offtank, and have decent survivability anyway. There is an alternative build the smarter and more defensive force of anguish tank, but even this build can pick up the skill instead of soul mirror or stunning blow, but supports in the back are much better at disabling, monk doesn't mind taking some damage anyway and points into his dps pay off more.

Mig 18+
Con 18
Dex 18
Per 3
Int 4 (he needs 4 to make sure Rooting Pain can reach targets in melee range, you can get it later)
Res 14

Abilities

Torment's Reach
Turning Wheel

Stunning Blow

Rooting Pain
Duality of Mortal Presence

Soul Mirror

Talents

Two Weapon Style

Lesser Wound
Superior Deflection

Scion of Flame (w Fire Godlike) / Bloody Slaughter / Weapon and Shield Style + One-Handed Style

Bloody Slaughter / Weapon and Shield Style / Bull's Will

Edited by Nadrac
  • Like 3

Why wf noble for the barb?

It gives access to two accurate fast weapons, exactly what we want with damage bonus, also no one else picks Wf: Noble and great weapons are limited. Runner up would be Wf: Ruffian, it's a strong alternative but becomes weaker if other party members hope to use some of those melee weapons.

I'm glad someone else appreciates the damaging repertoire on the Druid, though I prefer mine with much higher Dexterity. On my PotD run, one of my favorite tactics once I hit level 9+ was opening combat by spamming Winter Wind from between and slightly behind my tanks. So much damage for a first level spell (especially with Secrets of the Rime), and that push effect keeps knocking them back so they run forwards into the next one. Hail Storm isn't bad either, for when you need to cause pain over a truly massive area. I was lucky enough to find a Ring of Overseer for my Druid.

It gives access to two accurate fast weapons, exactly what we want with damage bonus, also no one else picks Wf: Noble and great weapons are limited. Runner up would be Wf: Ruffian, it's a strong alternative but becomes weaker if other party members hope to use some of those melee weapons.

I was going to say but possibly the two best weapons for dw are in ruffian. Stiletto and sabre.

I loved my glass-cannon wizard on PotD, probably the least gear-dependant character with higher damage output. Obviously, not an option for a solo run but it's really fun to wipe packs of moves with just a few spells :D

Can't argue with that :)

I'm glad someone else appreciates the damaging repertoire on the Druid, though I prefer mine with much higher Dexterity. On my PotD run, one of my favorite tactics once I hit level 9+ was opening combat by spamming Winter Wind from between and slightly behind my tanks. So much damage for a first level spell (especially with Secrets of the Rime), and that push effect keeps knocking them back so they run forwards into the next one. Hail Storm isn't bad either, for when you need to cause pain over a truly massive area. I was lucky enough to find a Ring of Overseer for my Druid.

You can cut even up to 6-8 res and 2 con to get more dex, my builds are intended to be on the safe side and for the whole game, for the majority of the game you can't really spam and you can always use the fast casting foe only Talon's Reach if you want to. Later i like walking in and zapping them with storm, more squishy druid may have seconds thoughts about standing in the middle of the fight with Relentless Storm. Resolve and Dexterity also similar, Dexterity helps you act more frequently, Resolve helps not getting interrupted therefore act more frequently, but chance of interruption gets lower farther away from the front. You may even want to run in and use Nature's Vigor, extremely good heal, Tangelefoot is also nice for -20 reflex roll, rogues might like it too.

I was going to say but possibly the two best weapons for dw are in ruffian. Stiletto and sabre.

In general yes, but not if you have +20 damage from One Stands Alone, in that case, speed and accuracy is clearly better.

Love this guide.

One question, no minor blight spell for the wizard nuker?  Got a lot more mileage from the blast this way and staying power was the main issue to me for casters.

Good question, i did consider including it and i used it as well, when you hit level 5 it's a strong pickup replacing your crappy fine wand, it turns you into a decent auto attacker, but when you get to level 9 and your level 1 spells become per encounter use, you just want to cast all of them in every single fight, so less auto attacking. At level 11 i was not even tempted to use it, also wizard picks up 4 1-2 spell slots from items, and at this stage of the game you probably have a superior wand, it's still worse than the spell, but makes it less of an upgrade.

I prefer casting Essential Phantom over it, that guy hits for avg 25 shock to a small aoe with a fast attack and has nothing else to do, he can get buffed, he can tank a bit, he is the only summon of the wizard, clearly a must have.

Between level 5-8 Kalakoth's Minor Blights is good for offensive wizard, after that i didn't find it that useful.

Updated my post to include it.

• Like 1

Nice guide, thanks for posting it.

I have a question: What weapon(s) is the monk supposed to use? I assume WF-Peasant is for fists, but then you're taking 2 weapons and/or weapon + shield styles... Care to explain?

PS: Call me nitpicky, but I'd put the class names in the original post in a different colour. Dark blue is hard to read on a dark background.

There's no reason to stick to small shields on your wizard build, AFAIK. The accuracy penalty from shields only applies to attacks.

According to combat log that is not true, but you can get away with it on priest and chanter, they usually don't target their opponents at all or much so don't need an accuracy roll.

Nice guide, thanks for posting it.

I have a question: What weapon(s) is the monk supposed to use? I assume WF-Peasant is for fists, but then you're taking 2 weapons and/or weapon + shield styles... Care to explain?

PS: Call me nitpicky, but I'd put the class names in the original post in a different colour. Dark blue is hard to read on a dark background.

I appreciate feedback, i lost the right the edit my original post, not sure whats the deal with that, seemingly can't be edited after certain time. Anyway, i intended talents to be taken from top to bottom, and if i included more in one line i did it for the reason so you can think about picking it as an alternative.

Basically if you are a Fire godlike pick Scion of Flame, and i did check out Vulnerable Attack, it's still worth it slightly, so pick it and finish with Bloody Slaughter, if you are pushed into a more tanky role pick Weapon and Shield Style plus One-Handed Style.

Getting the right to edit my own topic would be nice, Mods *wink wink*

Edited by Nadrac

i intended talents to be taken from top to bottom, and if i included more in one line i did it for the reason so you can think about picking it as an alternative.

Yeah, I get that part, but I was referring to the weapon talents specifically:

Two Weapon Style

Scion of Flame (w Fire Godlike) / Bloody Slaughter / Weapon and Shield Style + One-Handed Style

So, to clarify:

- Even though TWS is on a different line, I assume you wouldn't take it if you're planning to take Shield Style, right?

- If you choose to go unarmed (which I hear is worse in the long run, but whatever), does any of the weapon style talents have any effect on fists?

- About WF-Peasant, I can see taking it if you're going unarmed or with a hatchet + shield, but if you're dual wielding, aren't there better weapon types? Assuming there's no overlap with the rest of the party, would you still take Peasant over, say, Ruffian or Noble?

I want to try a monk but I haven't got round to it yet, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here or it's just one of those things you can't edit.

Edited by CriticalFailure

Two Weapon Style

So, to clarify:

- Even though TWS is on a different line, I assume you wouldn't take it if you're planning to take Shield Style, right?

- If you choose to go unarmed (which I hear is worse in the long run, but whatever), does any of the weapon style talents have any effect on fists?

- About WF-Peasant, I can see taking it if you're going unarmed or with a hatchet + shield, but if you're dual wielding, aren't there better weapon types? Assuming there's no overlap with the rest of the party, would you still take Peasant over, say, Ruffian or Noble?

I want to try a monk but I haven't got round to it yet, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here or it's just one of those things you can't edit.

You can easily take shield after two weapon style for versatility to on occasion transition into an offtank or even a main tank with priest buffs and still do decent damage. Fist is a great weapon with crush damage which is often the best against harder opponents, i didn't do the math but it's good enough, what you will really miss out on is unique effects such as extra critical and lifesteal. Do one run with fist other with sabres and stilettos, or maybe pick up both weapon talents ? They have different damage types.

Edited by Nadrac
  • Like 1

Did they ever fist the carnage bug for barbarian? I stopped playing awhile back after I beat the game.

strongest build in game is the "jolting touch barbarian". Jolting touch works with carnage, and there are three ways to get jolting touch

1. Azureith's Stilleto that procs jolting touch on crit. Can be bought very early in game from first town

2. Animancer's boots that give 3 casts of jolting touch on rest. Can be found very early in the game

3. craft a jolting touch scroll. You only need lvl 2 lore skill to cast it.

with the correct build, jolting touch does 78 to 107 points of damage, and it bouces twice for 64-88 dmg. So casting jolting touch with Barbarian's Carnage (either by critting with the dagger or using the spell) will cause you to use jolting touch versus everyone in range. So if 8 people are in range, it'll hit the 8 people, and then jump twice more for a total of 24 hits. This kills all mobs in one hit, even boss level mobs. Carnage also works with retaliate, and there are several armor pieces that give retaliation.

Because of this, you want a tanky & high damage barbarian with high accuracy. Most of your DPS will come from jolting touch, and anyone that hits you will be retaliated. You don't need high dex. Try to find a glove that gives accuracy. At the start of the fight, cast +acc on hero and -deflection on enemy (either by paralyze, prone, etc.).

Stats

Hearth Orlan for increasing crit chance

Mig 18
Con 8
Dex 4
Per 18
Int 12
Res 18

Abilities

Frenzy or Barbaric Yell for first skill (doesn't matter since you'll never use them)

Accurate Carnage

Savage Defiance

One Stands Alone

Brute Force

Threatening presence

Thick Skinned

Talents

Weapon and shield style

Weapon focus Ruffian (for +6 acc with the jolting-touch stiletto)

Vulnerable attack

Heart of the Storn (for +20% lightning dmg with jolting-touch)

Bull's will (for +10 willpower, we need to reduce the chance of being charmed)

Because of this, you want a tanky & high damage barbarian with high accuracy. 

I'm guessing you would want that on any build. :D

Back on the build, barbarian with retaliation doesn't need further explanation. You just need one stands alone and retaliation. 

I've finished a PotD solo with a Barbarian and I felt like when you play with relatiation + one stands alone, you turn the game into 'I can win' mode and doesn't really matter what you do afterwards. Accurate carnage won't make any difference so you might as well get any other.

Also, Frenzy it's probably the best tanky skill the barbarian has in my opinion!