I've seen mentions of retaliation monks who use their fists here and there, but not much the particulars of how people have actually built them. I'm curious, and thinking of starting one up, and while a few things occur to me, I'm not quite sure how to approach building the character.

How would you/do you/have you made an unarmed monk focused around retaliation?

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

From what I've heard about it- retaliation attacks don't use equipped weapon attack data (base damage, enchantment, interrupt rating , etc ..).. So I'm guessing full tank mode(deflection/DR/ other resistances - mandatory shield and shield perks)  with some focus on abilities that dump the wounds you're going to accumulate as main tank ..

WPNTVf7.jpg

Yup, that is not a class with good retalitation synergy. Barbarian and Cipher are better for it. First thanks to OSA and Carnage and second due to +40% perma damage bonus from soul and bitting whip and that retalitation hits generate Focus.

I have to yet see if Figher can somehow use retatlitation to best…

Retalitation gear is not really that good really. I mean every additional DPS is always more damage, however to max retalitation potential you need melee bonuses (OSA/Soul Whip) or Carnage (proc on every enemy around, so more enemies hit you- more hits they get)/Focus Generation to make it worth.

Personally I wouldn't find retaliation builds that exciting in terms of play style. I do have a fire godlike monk though, specced for maxed dex and might and her attacks are so fast and strong it makes solo-ing on hard difficulty a breeze so far, the godlike ability for fire damage at low endurance is just a bonus in my eyes. Unarmed attacks start out faster than dual wielding light weapons, and benefits from the 2 weapons talent to make it 20% faster still. I really enjoy how fast and hard my monk hits, and it takes down enemies fast.