Translator Addon in game.

Max1987

Hi,
I would like to propose an idea to your great game. Many texts in game can be for some players difficult due to lack of their ability to speak English or any other native game languages. So my idea is to make an ingame addon which will translate words to any language (via google translator, or any other free translator) but not whole sentences, just only one word if cursor is on this word. I think that this will help people like me to enjoy the game and learn english as well.
thanks,
Jacob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would like to propose an idea to your great game. Many texts in game can be for some players difficult due to lack of their ability to speak English or any other native game languages. So my idea is to make an ingame addon which will translate words to any language (via google translator, or any other free translator) but not whole sentences, just only one word if cursor is on this word. I think that this will help people like me to enjoy the game and learn english as well.

thanks,

Jacob

Hey, Max1987. The idea is good in theory, but may not work well in practice. Many of our lines/words can be read in different ways depending on the context of the situation. This is very difficult for automated services like Google Translate to discern and my end up more confusing for people than if there was no translation feature at all.

A question the OP might've forgot to ask or didn't think about but... for future translators:

Where are the dialogue/tooltip/description etc. files, and what is required to change/modify/translate the text?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to translate this great game in Greek, if it's possible.

You can go to "PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized" and translate the .stringtable files. All you need is a simple text editor like notepad or wordpad.

• Like 1

I'd like to translate this great game in Greek, if it's possible.

You can go to "PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized" and translate the .stringtable files. All you need is a simple text editor like notepad or wordpad.

Once I finish all the translation, what do I need to do? Post here for update?

I'm assuming that you are translating from English to Greek.

In the "localized" folder, make a new folder named "gr" or what ever you prefer. Put everything you translate into there and make sure everything has exactly the same name and file structure as the English folder that you're translating from.

Come to think of it, It's probably simplest if you copy all the contents of the "en" folder into the "gr" folder before starting to translate.

Finally, there is one file called "language.xml". Open it with notepad/wordpad and change

<Name>english</Name>

into:

<Name>greek</Name>

Then do the same with

<GUIString>English</GUIString>

into:

<GUIString>Greek</GUIString>

You should now be able to pick "Greek" in the options menu. You could also compress the entire "gr" folder into a .zip or .rar file and then share it as a translation mod. by the way, in the latest update, badler said that there would be a translation mod or something coming out later. Maybe that will help somehow?

EDIT: maybe it should instead be <GUIString>Ellhnika</GUIString>? I don't know if that sounds stupid as I don't speak Greek.

Edited by Marky
  • Like 1

I'm assuming that you are translating from English to Greek.

In the "localized" folder, make a new folder named "gr" or what ever you prefer. Put everything you translate into there and make sure everything has exactly the same name and file structure as the English folder that you're translating from.

Come to think of it, It's probably simplest if you copy all the contents of the "en" folder into the "gr" folder before starting to translate.

Finally, there is one file called "language.xml". Open it with notepad/wordpad and change

<Name>english</Name>

into:

<Name>greek</Name>

Then do the same with

<GUIString>English</GUIString>

into:

<GUIString>Greek</GUIString>

You should now be able to pick "Greek" in the options menu. You could also compress the entire "gr" folder into a .zip or .rar file and then share it as a translation mod. by the way, in the latest update, badler said that there would be a translation mod or something coming out later. Maybe that will help somehow?

EDIT: maybe it should instead be <GUIString>Ellhnika</GUIString>? I don't know if that sounds stupid as I don't speak Greek.

I noticed them. The word "Ellhnika" is correct on a part. It means "Greek." I already did the copy-paste and renamed them. That leaves the rest of them.

There's also a problem here. I noticed some of the symbols that I can't read. What are those symbols and what letters do they represent?

I mean such symbols, as following:

Γ¨

éï

Γ©

éë

Γ¶

etc.

With these on, I can't read them properly. I found them between the names, such as: "Préëstu", "Préprima", "Tarivèrno", "Fonivèrno", "Cönyngsdag", etc.

Do we have someone that can re-code them?

Speaking of which, a nice idea that there's the translation mod coming out. I'll be waiting for it. I also noticed from another thread that there are some typos in the English language.

Most likely your editor doesnt support unicode, or you are using a different encoding?

You must change your editors encoding then to UTF-8.

Apart from that, the first line in the file should reflect the files encoding... (if handled probably).

Do not store XML files in a different encoding than unicode except if you have a very good reason....

Most likely your editor doesnt support unicode, or you are using a different encoding?

You must change your editors encoding then to UTF-8.

Apart from that, the first line in the file should reflect the files encoding... (if handled probably).

Do not store XML files in a different encoding than unicode except if you have a very good reason....

I see... Will try enconding to UTF-8. I don't have any editor. I'm using the translation only from wordpad or notepad. Will try to encode it into notepad. Thanks. Once I finish the translation, I'll revert the encoder back to the original to where it was supposed to be.

• 2 months later...