I'm about to embark on my second playthrough of this wonderful game, and I've decided that I want to fully explore the wizard class. I did have Aloth with me last time, but honestly I never used him all that much (my cipher main basically just butchered everything).

I have the following questions for all of you experienced wizard-players:

1. How useful do you find Blast and Penetrating Blast late game? The damage seems low, and you get per-encounter spells. I do not like Dangerous Implements so I won't be using that one.

2. Do Blast + Penetrating Blast work with the blights you can summon? That could make it worthwhile.

3. I assume Distant Advantage works with spells. But what about Mob Justice? Does it work with spells, and does it stack with Distant Advantage.

Any input is appreciated :)

1. Not very.

2. It works with blights though (and can hit single target multiple times since it procs on blight aoe, which is probably a bug). Still not super useful

3. Distant Advantage does. Haven't tested Mob Justice specifically, but all other abilities of this kind (tactical meld, marking weapon) do work with spells, so I don't see why it shouldn't.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

It's worth noting that Dangerous Implements is modal (can be toggled any time) and synergizes well with a unique scepter that can be bought in Defiance Bay - http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Lady%27s_Hand

The scepter grants a damage bonus if below 50% Endurance, which you can get naturally in long fights by using Dangerous Implements without putting the wizard in harm's way.

Overall though, I have found that Aloth's Might is too low to deal notable direct damage, whether with spells or implements. You can build a custom glass cannon Wizard that will deliver serious auto-attack damage, but should you choose to use Aloth, consider maximizing his spell counts instead.

It's worth noting that Dangerous Implements is modal (can be toggled any time) and synergizes well with a unique scepter that can be bought in Defiance Bay - http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Lady%27s_Hand

The scepter grants a damage bonus if below 50% Endurance, which you can get naturally in long fights by using Dangerous Implements without putting the wizard in harm's way.

Overall though, I have found that Aloth's Might is too low to deal notable direct damage, whether with spells or implements. You can build a custom glass cannon Wizard that will deliver serious auto-attack damage, but should you choose to use Aloth, consider maximizing his spell counts instead.

10 or 20 int isnt that much of a difference unless you are using 2 handed or slow ranged weapons?

With 20 damage, 20 might up from 10 is only +2 damage?