Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What ending did you choose?

poll ending spoilers gods choice

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Poll: What ending did you choose? (301 member(s) have cast votes)

Which god did you side with, at the very end of the game?

1. Woedica/Skaen (feed the souls to Woedica) (10 votes [3.32%])

Percentage of vote: 3.32%

2. Rymrgand (destroy the souls) (7 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. Galawain (feed the souls to the Dyrwoodans) (55 votes [18.27%])

Percentage of vote: 18.27%

4. Wael (scatter the souls) (31 votes [10.30%])

Percentage of vote: 10.30%

5. Berath (return the souls to the cycle) (60 votes [19.93%])

Percentage of vote: 19.93%

6. Hylia (return the souls to the hollowborn children) (138 votes [45.85%])

Percentage of vote: 45.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rosveen

Rosveen

Obsidian Order's Prophet of Woe

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Berath's is so wrong on so many levels. Those souls belong to the living for many years and he wants them prematurely returned. It's the worst possible choice in my book.

Why? Doesn't it just mean there'll be a spike of available souls in this one moment, which will then continue to be gradually reborn, probably resulting in an higher than normal pre-Legacy birth rate for the next few years? Why is this so terrible?

Edited by Rosveen, 11 April 2015 - 02:48 AM.

• PirroEpirote likes this

Gotcha!

Gotcha!

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 34 posts

Berath's is so wrong on so many levels. Those souls belong to the living for many years and he wants them prematurely returned. It's the worst possible choice in my book.

How is Berath so wrong? Berath basically puts the souls back into the production line, meaning that everything's back to normal again. Future children will be born normally.

Berath just recycled the souls, putting them back into the natural cycle of things.

No, Skaen would hold his power dear (and secret) until just the right moment...then use it in one flash to cripple and maim a much more powerful enemy who is directly responsible for Skaen's problems.

That... doesn't make me feel better about Skaen. :p

• PirroEpirote likes this

dukefx

dukefx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 340 posts

Those souls finally "won" their body and Berath wants to put them on the waiting list again. Who knows when they will get another body again?! Just look at how many creatures (mostly kith, and wilderers) have been killed either by your party, rioters, undead, self righteous idiots or by Thaos and co. All those creatures won't be fathers and mothers anymore. Think of how long those souls would have to wait with such a decrease in population and therefore lack of reproduction. This is wrong both economically (I consider souls and bodies goods to make it simple) and morally which leads me to the conclusion that Berath is total moron and can't even do his job right. Technically he should support Hylea, because that's how they will get back to the cycle properly.

• Harry Easter likes this

Primislas

Primislas

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Those souls finally "won" their body and Berath wants to put them on the waiting list again. Who knows when they will get another body again?! Just look at how many creatures (mostly kith, and wilderers) have been killed either by your party, rioters, undead, self righteous idiots or by Thaos and co. All those creatures won't be fathers and mothers anymore. Think of how long those souls would have to wait with such a decrease in population and therefore lack of reproduction. This is wrong both economically (I consider souls and bodies goods to make it simple) and morally which leads me to the conclusion that Berath is total moron and can't even do his job right. Technically he should support Hylea, because that's how they will get back to the cycle properly.

Yeah, well, there're seven gods telling you that the souls, being severed from their bodies in such a brutal traumatic fashion, are damaged and unfit to make a return. So much so that six gods speculate the souls aren't even fit for the cycle. Whereas the Watcher can't rely on hindsight like we do here.

sparklecat

sparklecat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think you're getting into dangerous territory when you start deciding for someone else that the "damage" someone's suffered or will suffer means their life is not worth living, and they're better off not existing.

dirigible

dirigible

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

1. The events of Dyrwood are a small part of what's going on in the world. There are plenty of babies still being made elsewhere.

2. Even if they did have to wait a while, so what? Is their soul going to get bored, while it sits in the ether? There's no evidence that souls have any form of consciousness when they leave the world and return to the cycle.

3. Putting souls back into the bodies would be even worse. They would AT BEST be children with the minds of newborn infants and AT WORST be children with memories of being chained for years along with hundreds of other lost souls. Putting them into the cycle allows them to be born again as healthy, normal children with no memory of what happened.

• PirroEpirote and Gotcha! like this

dirigible

dirigible

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think you're getting into dangerous territory when you start deciding for someone else that the "damage" someone's suffered or will suffer means their life is not worth living, and they're better off not existing.

These souls literally haven't even begun life - why would they want to go back to their hollowborn bodies when they could be born normal instead?

• PirroEpirote and Gotcha! like this

sparklecat

sparklecat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

These souls literally haven't even begun life - why would they want to go back to their hollowborn bodies when they could be born normal instead?

I'm talking more about the idea that they're not fit for being returned to the cycle either.

dukefx

dukefx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 340 posts

1. The events of Dyrwood are a small part of what's going on in the world. There are plenty of babies still being made elsewhere.

2. Even if they did have to wait a while, so what? Is their soul going to get bored, while it sits in the ether? There's no evidence that souls have any form of consciousness when they leave the world and return to the cycle.

3. Putting souls back into the bodies would be even worse. They would AT BEST be children with the minds of newborn infants and AT WORST be children with memories of being chained for years along with hundreds of other lost souls. Putting them into the cycle allows them to be born again as healthy, normal children with no memory of what happened.

1. There's also plenty of war being made elsewhere. People are savages and have a low lifespan, even elves. Even if someone was immortal, that wouldn't mean they'd be invulnerable. Most die before reaching old age.

2. Your main char is a watcher and you are telling me souls do not have a consciousness? At the end you are literally talking to a soul imprisoned in a huge adra pillar and you are telling me they have no consciousness? Souls are being ordered to help you descend into a huge pit. Not only consciousness, but that looks to me that they even have some kind of ghostly body on top of that.

3. Far from worse, but I agree that this isn't the best solution either. Their trauma will be forever remembered whether you put them back where they belong or let them rot in the ether for maybe a few seconds, maybe an eternity until they find a new body. Those people in Noonfrost trying to get to Rymrgand's domain... you should hear them out for once. They are sick and tired of the cycle.

Blovski

Blovski

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've done Skaen and Hylea's endings.

Skaen is far and away my favourite 'evil' concept in vidyagames for a long time (probably since Torment) and his attitude about the necessity of the illusion of divine justice to keep the upper classes in line really appeals to the medievalist in me.

Hylea's seemed like the nicest option. Well, I say nicest, but I kind of also think there's a lot of Old Testament justice in showing up the parents who abandoned their hollowborn kids and coming through for those who didn't. It has the value of being a lesson in a way that none of the other options really are.

Edited by Blovski, 11 April 2015 - 10:46 AM.

sparklecat

sparklecat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hylea's ending, incidentally, is also a really good way to continue supporting traditional faith in the gods, which my priestess was good with.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2003 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Could be worse than coming to sentience and remembering being chained for years. Could suddenly come to sentience only to realize theirs a hungry, raging animal fighting for control of their body...and they remember *eating their parents*.

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2003 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Here's the problem: None of the gods plans is really sound because none of them take into account anything beyond that individual gods pantheon. Hylea is a great example; she wants you to put the souls of the children back into the children, but I don't think she wants to because it's "good". Her portfolio is about helping and loving children; she never thinks or worries about the consequences of the action, or the wider societal implications, because that's not what she was made to care about.

The gods aren't gods; their just ideals given shape. The philosophies and moral considerations of a society given form and power; they are no more or less flawed than the philosophies and ideals that were incarnated. All of them seem narrowly focused, concerned only and entirely with this small portion of the world that they were incarnated to ward over.

**** 'em all.

• dukefx and PirroEpirote like this

Wulfburk

Wulfburk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts

Gratz Obsidian, it was a damn great ending!

Chose Hylia, it was the more appropriate choice for my character.

sparklecat

sparklecat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Could be worse than coming to sentience and remembering being chained for years. Could suddenly come to sentience only to realize theirs a hungry, raging animal fighting for control of their body...and they remember *eating their parents*.

Bear in mind that they're not going to be socialized simply because they gain souls; there's no reason to think having eaten their parents will upset them any more than having eaten anyone else, or for that matter that remembering eating people will be especially traumatic for them at all.  They won't have learned any sort of morality yet, either; arguably they'll be as much helpless blank slates as the infants, doomed to die in the wilderness unless the animal soul sustains them or they're found by others.

• Katarack21 likes this

dukefx

dukefx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 340 posts

Here's the problem: None of the gods plans is really sound because none of them take into account anything beyond that individual gods pantheon. Hylea is a great example; she wants you to put the souls of the children back into the children, but I don't think she wants to because it's "good". Her portfolio is about helping and loving children; she never thinks or worries about the consequences of the action, or the wider societal implications, because that's not what she was made to care about.

The gods aren't gods; their just ideals given shape. The philosophies and moral considerations of a society given form and power; they are no more or less flawed than the philosophies and ideals that were incarnated. All of them seem narrowly focused, concerned only and entirely with this small portion of the world that they were incarnated to ward over.

**** 'em all.

That is absolutely true. This is why we are arguing about the endings. We can see past their narrowmindedness, because as you said, they only care about their own "portfolio".

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Galawain.

Seemed the most reasonable option of the gods, and I made a promise then... Damn my lawful good character build! :p

But even with the other options added later, this seemed the best to me, except maybe for adding them to the cycle.

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2003 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

**** 'em all.

That is absolutely true. This is why we are arguing about the endings. We can see past their narrowmindedness, because as you said, they only care about their own "portfolio".

Right? I really wish their was a "screw the gods" option, maybe eating the souls or maybe using them to incarnate a new god in opposition or something.

aimlessgun

aimlessgun

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Wael is the closest to a 'screw the gods' option. I was a Priest of Wael (and still have trouble figuring out what that entails) but I also chose Wael's option because I tired of all the philosophizing and was in a 'screw this' frame of mind. 

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2003 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I concur. I wouldn't be surprised if, near the end of the expansion or possibly second game, there's some sort of point where being loyal to Skaen now, and doing what he told you to do now, results in Skaen making Woedica and all the other gods choke on their own whips when the time is truly ripe.

• Harry Easter likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, ending, spoilers, gods, choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users