Reputation "Bug?"- Defiance Bay *VERY MINOR SPOILERS*

Quixotyk

Question

So I understand that the various factions in Defiance Bay are at odds with each other and that choosing one will result in not being able to interact with the others. That makes sense to me, even if I messed it up in my most recent play through. However, I found that when aligning with one (the mafia-like one), I had already completed quests with both the dozens AND crucible knights. As such, the game has now locked me out of ALL factions, as I am at a "faintly good" reputation with each of them. Is this a bug or intended?

I like the idea of exclusive faction quest-lines and such, but the execution here is baaaaad. It should be structured so that when you compete a quest for one of the factions, your reputation with the other factions drops considerably so that you are unable to complete any quests you currently have for the other factions but your aligned faction's quest-line stays intact. Currently I cannot do quests for any of them, and that's kind of a bummer. 

I hope that makes sense. Can anyone shed light on the topic for me?

2 answers to this question

I think it's working as intended, more or less.  The dialogs with the various factions warn you that doing quests for one faction will displease the other factions.  The obtuse part, I think, is that it doesn't affect your reputation with them directly, which makes it possible for you to have a good reputation with multiple factions but have those factions not willing to work with you.  It would probably be better if gaining reputation with one faction automatically lowered your reputation with both of the others by the same amount, such that you would realize immediately what was going on.  A side benefit of this method would be that you would be able to see whether a faction was willing to support you by looking at your reputation with them (because positive relations with more than one faction would be impossible).

As it is now, you have to (somehow) know that having a good reputation with a faction is only part of the equation, and that not having a good reputation with other factions is also important.  If you don't realize that, and you are nice to more than one faction, then you can end up getting blocked out of your faction preference.  You may have to work with another faction, or not get faction backing at all.

Edited by Emptiness

Thanks, yeah I kind of figured it was that way. Hopefully they do change it a tad, though, so you don't get locked out of any/all faction backing. I don't mind picking one over the others, I think that's great. I was just kind of forced into helping a faction that I didn't want to because I killed some thieves and was threatened by their leader into assisting with their heist. The result was not being able to work with any of the factions because I was already friendly with the Knights and said heist also made me friendly with the mafia-like faction. Helping one faction should, in my opinion, immediately drop your reputation with the other factions. Or something.