Pillars of Future, new Engine

yuck reminds me of nwn and its wonky camera

They could lock the camera, is not a problem.

We used to have beautiful 2D games. Then there was NWN and that was the end of 2D. Now we finally got 2D back and you want to go there again?

why not? What are you afraid ?

Also remember that now that they have built their supporting tools and workflow moving to another engine would drastically extend the development period for a new game.

They could probably spit out a sequel to PoE in a year in Unity, in a new engine they'd need 2 years.

• Like 1

Also remember that now that they have built their supporting tools and workflow moving to another engine would drastically extend the development period for a new game.

They could probably spit out a sequel to PoE in a year in Unity, in a new engine they'd need 2 years.

You know,of course, I thought about it immediately.
But I made the suggestion for a future,from here to five years.

I know perfectly well that they should overturn everything.

But if they wanted to go to the 3d, seemed me like a great start.
Edited by argenti

What is so nice in the Infinity or Unity?
That recreate the atmosphere full of details, right?

So, the engine of Sui Generis gave me the same feeling

Pre-renders let you do the same thing but it is less resource intensive for the end user.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I hope they stick with Unity.  Version 4 does have some performance problems, but version 5 improves on performance.  Also, it's a engine that's has multiplatform support, us it allows us Linux users to enjoy Obsidian games.  A new engine would take too much time and money to create.

Not a fan. Love the hand drawn 2D backgrounds. In fact, I think it would be cool to have water color based 2D artwork like Saga Frontier 2 on the PS1. That game was gorgeous imo.

520872-saga-frontier-2-playstation-scree

^^ sample

Backgrounds in Eternity and the predecessors are not "hand drawn" in any way, they are pre-rendered - with only limited, mostly gradational, retouching by hand.

Pre-renders let you do the same thing but it is less resource intensive for the end user.

Yes, but you have limits.
With the 3D you can open many possibilities such as the management of physics.

Watch Divinity Original Sin, with the prerender certain things they would not have been able to achieve.

I'm also for keeping it 2D, if only because of the rarity of that style in games these days.

If they were to use 3D scenes (probably the cheaper and more flexible choice, especially since Unity is a 3D engine), they should at least keep an isometric projection and fixed camera.

image005.jpg

Edited by Barleypaper

Hello guys.

As I watched this new project https://youtu.be/PvZchE30StQ?t=44s

I thought about Pillars of Eternity.

Just imagine a hypothetical Eternity with this new engine.
Looks perfect.
Clearly, the gameplay remains the same, pause tactic, etc.

But the graphics, could be revolutionary.
Try to think of the implications that could be created.

It would not be the first time that the boys of Obsidian, take "borrow" a graphics engine.

what do you all think?

May be wrong in this but didn't Obsidian chose Unity so they could swap assets with inXile and stuff?

Watch Divinity Original Sin, with the prerender certain things they would not have been able to achieve.

There's no reason why a game with 2D backgrounds couldn't have the kind of physics demonstrated in that video. It would be limited to "objects" and creatures of course - no collapsing cave walls or anything - but that's usually enough.

Eternity already has (some) 3D objects. Import simple collision geometry for the environment from whatever 3D modeling software they use, insert a physics engine and voilà!

Oh... Well then thank god! I don't want Pillars to be anything like that awful piece of trash. Thank you. You've convinced me even further that doing except per-rendered is the biggest mistake Obsidian could make.

Edited by illathid
  • Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Revolutionary graphics?

But PoE looks better. I don't see any "revolutionary graphics" there. Physics are nice, map editor fun, but that's it. Animations are medicore if not to say bad, textures look like from Medieval Total War (1), and... There's barely anything else in there.

This is an engine for action RPG, nothing related to PoE.

New engine = new bugs again.

I prefer that they will keep using this one at least for the sequel.

Edited by barakav
  • Like 2

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Oh... Well then thank god! I don't want Pillars to be anything like that awful piece of trash. Thank you. You've convinced me even further that doing except per-rendered is the biggest mistake Obsidian could make.

Wait, do you want me say that Divinity Original Sin it's garbage?

• Like 1

Revolutionary graphics?

But PoE looks better. I don't see any "revolutionary graphics" there. Physics are nice, map editor fun, but that's it. Animations are medicore if not to say bad, textures look like from Medieval Total War (1), and... There's barely anything else in there.

For revolutionary mean that with the 3d and physics can make a totally different gameplay.

Medieval what?

I guess you did not see well.

Revolutionary graphics?

For revolutionary mean that with the 3d and physics can make a totally different gameplay.

Medieval what?

I guess you did not see well.

We don't want different gameplay. That's why we backed this game.

• Like 3

Wait, do you want me say that Divinity Original Sin it's garbage?

Yeah. Call a spade a spade.

• Like 1

-Josh Sawyer