I'm working on the assumption that its penalties vanish after enchanting it, which in theory should make it one of the better starter weapons (of course, if this doesn't work out, then there is no choice to be made). The opportunity cost is 750 gold, or 3 custom made party members at Gilded Vale. 

On the more challenging difficulties, I'm just wondering which would pan out better for the first few hours? 

• Like 1

According to a post on gaming.stackexchange, when you enchant something it replaces the negative attributes. I haven't tested this myself, but seeing as how everyone is using custom parties on PotD, I'm curious about the tradeoffs early game. 

• 1 month later...

Depends. On my Cipher playthrough I enchanted it because I wanted an early pistol and it's maluses do in fact go away once enchanted with a different quality. It was either that or rush to Defiance Bay and do the Vailian Trading Company quest. Other characters I'll often sell it.

Depends. Will you have an early-game character that will be using pistols? Then keep it. If not, sell it. No different than any other weapon.

Its base stats worse than regular pistol, so it doesnt worth it.

It's not. The base stats are the same as regular pistols.

Just slap Accurate 1 on it and it's an early-game Pistol with no cons.

t50aJUd.jpg

According to a post on gaming.stackexchange, when you enchant something it replaces the negative attributes. I haven't tested this myself, but seeing as how everyone is using custom parties on PotD, I'm curious about the tradeoffs early game. 

And besides, where would you take the ingredienst for enchanting early in the game. You're not stocked up yet and that pistol is really worth nothing compared to any wayward crossbow you can buy at your nearest convenience.

And besides, where would you take the ingredienst for enchanting early in the game. You're not stocked up yet and that pistol is really worth nothing compared to any wayward crossbow you can buy at your nearest convenience.

Actually you can upgrade it to "fine" very early in the game without much of fights taken, I must admit I only know this because I was watching some of MalleGT's Triple Crown Solo runs. However on my first playthrough I didn't know where can I get ingredients fast but still I upgraded it quite early but only +accuracy and I didn't know you can just get to Kana fast and take away his arquebus. Also pistols and arquebuses has DR bypass so in those terms it often better than crossbows.  Either way Disappointer did not disappoint me. :)

A bit offtopic, but why would anyone even bother with pistols in the first place? Their damage is nice, but that 8m range sucks on alpha strikes.

I'm a swashbuckler in a feathered hat, it'll be a pistol as my firearm or it'll be nothing.
  • Like 1

A bit offtopic, but why would anyone even bother with pistols in the first place? Their damage is nice, but that 8m range sucks on alpha strikes.

My Cypher begs to differ.

Especially ciphers love that arquebus. But anyway, sorry for posting OT here everybody has their preferences. :)

8m is more than enough for "alpha strikes", unless you've completely neglected Stealth, which you really shouldn't do if you are going for alpha strikes.

Also, 2m Backstabs with Rogues. Yes please.

t50aJUd.jpg

So you

8m is more than enough for "alpha strikes", unless you've completely neglected Stealth, which you really shouldn't do if you are going for alpha strikes.

So you don't mind moving your ciphers and rogues forward more than the tank(s)?

So you

So you don't mind moving your ciphers and rogues forward more than the tank(s)?

Whomever is going to Alpha-strike gets into position before the tank initiates, and shoots when he does. When all hell breaks loose, the tank is still in the front.

t50aJUd.jpg

Pistols are the first easily available firearm, and they share a Weapon Focus with Blunderbusses. The unique Pistol Dulcanale is the best ranged weapon in the game against high DR targets, while Lead Splitter is the best ranged weapon in the game against low DR targets. Meanwhile, the best Arquebus is a support gun that's no better for the person wielding it than a bog standard Exceptional Arquebus.

My rogue has been using Disappointer from the beginning without adding any enchantments (yet) and I've been quite amazed at the general lack of disappointment it has brought thus far. :yes:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...