What's on the idiot box Part 4 (or something)

LadyCrimson

Blood and Glory the Civil War (H2 series).

The narrator is terrible and there's nothing in it I don't know already but it's definitely interesting to see all those photos I'm so familiar with, in faded-photo color form. I've seen some of them in web articles, but in a way more intriguing on the big TV, the way they often start with the blk/wte then fade-in to the new colorized version. Still doesn't look very natural to me (colorizing) but a lot better than the old days. In the end however I think I still prefer them in black and white, whether portraits, shots of armies by cannons, or the battle aftermath shots. There's a starkness that the obvious colorizing effect destroys. Just me tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

OMG .....guys 

Seriously I am watching episode 7& 8 of Vikings and words cannot express how brilliant it is

With my new DSTV upgrade we now get shows 24 hours behind the USA.....so my viewing is cutting edge   :dancing:   :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Daredevil is seriously dark.  I like it.  I can't think of anything else Marvel has done like this.  Even Punisher comes across as more campy than dark.  

I don't know how I'll ever watch Arrow again.  I've always struggled to get through the CW teen drama moments that they put in, and now that I've seen how good a superhero show can be without it, I can't go back.

• Like 2

On Episode 8. Daredevil is now my favorite current scripted drama. I'd go bonkers if they ended the series with the Born Again storyline. Please make it happen.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Picked up the dvd set of Journeyman. They've got a couple of interesting special features, getting the cast and crew back to talk about it 5 years after, and the discussions on where they would have gone if it hadn't been cancelled.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Picked up the dvd set of Journeyman. They've got a couple of interesting special features, getting the cast and crew back to talk about it 5 years after, and the discussions on where they would have gone if it hadn't been cancelled.

That was one of the worst casualties of the writer's strike.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That was one of the worst casualties of the writer's strike.

Funny thing, they producer, director and writers say the writer's strike saved them (to a point), without the writer's strike, they'd have been shut down at 6 episodes, but because they had all the scripts written already up to episode 13 they got to make the rest because all the other shows didn't.

The time slot following Heroes 2nd season was the killer. The "viewer retention" figures dropping was the glaring button rather than just the figures for watching the show. All the people that stopped watching to jump on the internet and blog about Heroes, and the people that stopped watching Heroes didn't stick around to watch Journeyman. That and just as they started the network head was replaced, and it's pretty standard for new network heads to kill off anything that was started by the guy who just left.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

8 episodes in on Daredevil now and I'm loving it but it is a little too intense for the missus. Still, she is soldiering on and watching it with me because even though it is a bit much for her she's still drawn in and wants to know what happens next.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Netflix ordered 2nd season of Daredevil. Thumbs up from me.

• Like 3

Devastatorsig.jpg

OMG .....guys 

Seriously I am watching episode 7& 8 of Vikings and words cannot express how brilliant it is

With my new DSTV upgrade we now get shows 24 hours behind the USA.....so my viewing is cutting edge   :dancing:   :dancing:

The current season of Vikings is the best so far.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Daredevil - 1st two episodes, liked the father/son bits and the oily yet cool eyeglass wearing henchman. The rest was "ok." Third was all right, although I found myself kind of rolling eyes at the overlong h2d fights. I don't think I'm "connecting" the the Daredevil guy that much - it's not that I don't like the actor, he's good, I just mean the character. But he's better than Batman. :p

4th episode got serious. By the end I was all like "ok, this is gettin' good." Time to watch the 5th.

...I didn't know Vincent was going to be in it. Soon as the credits rolled on episode 1 I was kinda stoked for that. He is always the bomb. I'm going to like him and the henchman the most, I can tell. I must be evil.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It was a little hard to empathise with Matt Murdoch which is why he was constantly surrounded with characters easier to relate to. I was surprised at how much of a real character Foggy Nelson is, instead of just being the comic relief. Other than Wilson Fisk, I think he was my favourite character in the show. But yes, casting Vince in the role of Fisk was a masterstroke. A scary and compelling performance of what is essentially a fairly one-note character.

Although every now and again the cadence and tone of his voice kept reminding me that he's the bug wearing the Edgar suit.

Edgar_skin.png

• Like 1

Heh, MIB came to mind a couple times for me too ... as well as Full Metal Jacket.

Watched the 5th episode then went to bed.

One thing about the show so far - I think they've made their point that he's "just a human" by now. Does he have to have 2-3 scenes every episode where he gets knocked out in every fight in some way, leaving us to stare at his masked face sideways in the mud for long seconds? We get it - he's not all-powerful. :p

Anyway, I'm enjoying it...I just like poking fun at it at the same time. Will probably watch 5 more tonight. :)

At least it's better than Arrow.

That really is damning with faint praise given the current season of Arrow is borderline awful.

It used to be dumb fun, now it's just plain dumb.

There are some things I really like about Arrow, but man, they love to turn it into Dawson's Creek about twice an episode.

Frankly, that's insulting to Dawson's Creek. The romantic arcs there were finely crafted Shakespearian epics of love and loss compared to the episode to episode wild vacillation and pointless drama for its own sake romantic subplots in Arrow give us.

At least it's better than Arrow.

There are some things I really like about Arrow, but man, they love to turn it into Dawson's Creek about twice an episode.

To be fair, it is on the CW. At Fan Expo Van last year a guy praised Stephen Amell and the show for bringing good Superhero TV instead of cheesy teen Drama like Smallville. Amell's response was "Have you seen the show?"

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just starting Daredevil Episode 7 - and... guy in the elevator. OMG no wai! Better and better.