Ted Cruz: The Comedy Gold that Keeps on Giving

ktchong

At this point last time, everyone was talking as if we were going to have President Bachman.

Nope....

Bachman was never as serious a contender as any of the three Republicans that are currently in the race, and she didn't announce her candidacy until June of 2011. At this point last time she was being talked about less than Gingrich (who also hadn't announced yet) was then and Walker is now. Romney did announce by this time last election cycle, he was one of the first to do so.

I live in Ames Iowa and I was here in 2011 when the republican primaries started. Bachman was considered a VERY serious contender (for about three weeks) after she won the Straw Poll and one of my dormmates had to sit behind her for a PR stunt. Admittedly I'm not as entrenched within the republican machine as you seem to be so I don't know how they talked about it internally, but  Externally everyone was talking about Bachman v Obama. After Bachman it was Gingrich, then the Pizza guy, then Rick Perry, but each was basically forced out after the media started paying attention to them because of what they dug up.

Say what you will about Bill's moral failings, but he was an effective governor and ultimately ended with the US running on a budget surplus, and he is an incredibly charismatic person in general. That being said, I don't want Hillary to actually get in the white house because of the implications of a "ruling family", same with Jeb Bush. Seriously, if either of them get into the white house Two families will have controlled the Oval Office for 19 years with Obama interrupting it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The sad thing is if he gets nominated and the democrats run another condescending, heavy handed, freedom hating, constitution mocking, Obama clone I'm voting for Cruz. There is not a single democrat on the national stage I'd cast a vote for right now. But if they run someone who doesn't meet my description above, then I'll likely vote for the Libertarian candidate.

The thing is, I don't vote FOR republicans. I vote AGAINST democrats.

I somehow am surprised you're writing this claptrap.

What's the matter guys? Don't you want the first dude in the white house?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

At this point last time, everyone was talking as if we were going to have President Bachman.

Nope....

Bachman was never as serious a contender as any of the three Republicans that are currently in the race, and she didn't announce her candidacy until June of 2011. At this point last time she was being talked about less than Gingrich (who also hadn't announced yet) was then and Walker is now. Romney did announce by this time last election cycle, he was one of the first to do so.

I live in Ames Iowa and I was here in 2011 when the republican primaries started. Bachman was considered a VERY serious contender (for about three weeks) after she won the Straw Poll and one of my dormmates had to sit behind her for a PR stunt. Admittedly I'm not as entrenched within the republican machine as you seem to be so I don't know how they talked about it internally, but  Externally everyone was talking about Bachman v Obama. After Bachman it was Gingrich, then the Pizza guy, then Rick Perry, but each was basically forced out after the media started paying attention to them because of what they dug up.

Say what you will about Bill's moral failings, but he was an effective governor and ultimately ended with the US running on a budget surplus, and he is an incredibly charismatic person in general. That being said, I don't want Hillary to actually get in the white house because of the implications of a "ruling family", same with Jeb Bush. Seriously, if either of them get into the white house Two families will have controlled the Oval Office for 19 years with Obama interrupting it.

Maybe in Iowa she was considered a serious contender, but she was never considered relevant on the national stage. It was obvious from the start that Romney was going to be the candidate. At least it was obvious to me.

Chances to win Presidency if they have their party's nomination:

Paul > Cruz > Rubio > Clinton > Bush

Switch Cruz with Rubio.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Rick Perry and Bachmann both had a bit of buzz early on.  At least until they started opening their mouths.

They had buzz, but never a chance.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The only comedy gold I'm aware of is Hilary Clinton announcing her bid for the presidency. I'm sure that will go far like the sales from her autobiography.  They should have placed that book in the fiction section, probably would have had more sales, probably even a best seller.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I don't usually SNL anymore, but a buddy pointed this one out. It's fairly on the mark.

It also shows how a much her clout is spent. SNL won't make fun of a candidate in this manner that Lorne and the other execs want to win.

Edited by Valsuelm

I don't usually SNL anymore, but a buddy pointed this one out. It's fairly on the mark.

It also shows how a much her clout is spent. SNL won't make fun of a candidate in this manner that Lorne and the other execs want to win.

Remember 30 Rock?

Wrong thread

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And Steve King has decided that he wants to try to prevent the Federal Courts from even being able to look at cases involving Marriage.

If the US survives another 10 years, things will get better. By then there will be enough blacks and Hispanics to make the Republicans a permanent minority. This will lead to a general realignment of the political field with the two major parties standing roughly where the Democrats and Republicans were 20-30 years ago. Whether the other major party will be named the Republican Party or something else depends on how it plays out.

Until then, though, the US will continue to provide excellent political comedy for the rest of the world, punctuated by occasional hissy fits of Tomahawking various unfortunate third-world countries.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

If the US survives another 10 years, things will get better. By then there will be enough blacks and Hispanics to make the Republicans a permanent minority. This will lead to a general realignment of the political field with the two major parties standing roughly where the Democrats and Republicans were 20-30 years ago. Whether the other major party will be named the Republican Party or something else depends on how it plays out.

Until then, though, the US will continue to provide excellent political comedy for the rest of the world, punctuated by occasional hissy fits of Tomahawking various unfortunate third-world countries.

I don't get it. Are Hispanics and Blacks incapable of being conservative?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No they can be but I would say the vast majority aren't and I find certain conservative values seem to conflict with what both these minority groups want, like the  immigration issue and how relevant it is to most Hispanics 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There is barely a nickels worth of difference between the two these days. If I were to eliminate the news stories and didn't tell you who was in what party and just showed you the voting records you would not be able to pick who was in which. Both are all about welfare at home and warfare abroad. All the horrible stuff Democrats accuse the Republicans of doing they are silent about when their guys are the ones doing it and vice versa. 

I get puzzled whenever liberals go crazy after a cop beats or kills an unarmed person. That is government. It's what they have always wanted and have worked to empower since FDR was elected. They should be happy.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No one that isn't grossly mistaken or deluded would get it.

Of course they aren't incapable, and there's plenty of them. This thread is supposed to be about a 'conservative' Hispanic guy: Ted Cruz.

It doesn't really matter either way though...

Guard Dog is largely right, there's pretty much no tangible difference between the Democratic party and the Republican party on the issues that actually matter, and that are within the legal purview of the Federal government. They have the same puppet masters, that play both sides of the game they set up to get what they want.

The illegality, corruption, and evil goes a bit further back than FDR though. FDR just put it all into overdrive, slammed on the nitro button, and then plunged the U.S. into a war to top it all off. 

Of course not. I believe the median black or Hispanic voter is actually more conservative than the median white voter, by most measures. 

If you don't understand what's stopping conservative blacks and Hispanics from voting Republican, my spelling it out for you is not likely to help. So I won't.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Of course not. I believe the median black or Hispanic voter is actually more conservative than the median white voter, by most measures. 

If you don't understand what's stopping conservative blacks and Hispanics from voting Republican, my spelling it out for you is not likely to help. So I won't.

Aaaah, they do not like white people. Is that it?

It's kinda sad that such racism is still accepted in this day and age.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Aaaah, they do not like white people. Is that it?

It's kinda sad that such racism is still accepted in this day and age.

Bill Clinton got more of almost as much of the black vote than as Barack Obama. Last I checked, he looks pretty pasty.

Edit: Correction: Clinton got 82-84% of the black vote, Obama got 95%.

Edit edit: point being, no, that's not the reason.

A part of the reason, though, is that so many Republicans think it's the reason.

Edited by PrimeJunta

Get with the times. Everyone knew then, and everyone knows now that Bill Clinton had internalized kafkasiondry and identified himself as an transafrican-american.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Like relevant thinking ever had anything to with truth.

Or, i would rather wager that the chance is higher that the Republicans adapt to the change of demographics and its subsequent values. Nothing has changed since 2004. The very same discussion was had back then, except that the target was the Democrats.

- "They are completely out of touch with the times!"

- "They will implode into two parties!"

I see no change in this unless something catastrophic happens.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I would say that they are very capable to do so, but when they become majority of Republican voter base then that party will be something different than its current quite extremist movements desire it to be. Which will accomplish for many same goal as what making current Republicans (emphasis on those previously mentioned movements) a permanent minority. But I am not that convinced that such actually helps ambitions that those maybe more liberal minded people who speak about such possibility have.

Or, i would rather wager that the chance is higher that the Republicans adapt to the change of demographics and its subsequent values. 

Yep, I think that's the likeliest outcome. It'll be a pretty dramatic change though. 

The other possibility is that the GOP doesn't change, leaving the Democrats as the uncontested ruling party for a couple of cycles, until it splits down the middle into a liberal and conservative half. At that point, whatever sane voters the GOP has left will migrate to the con-dems leaving the rump GOP to wither away as an insignificant third party with a glorious past.