Hi folks, 

Just bought the game last night and have had no chance to play it yet, so I'd like some input on my first PC please!

In terms of RolePlaying (I'm not a min-maxer), I envision playing a fast swordsman who uses a 2h weapon.  I would like that character to have some traditional "rogue" skills as well. I.e. the ability to pick locks, find hidden stuff.

Could you advise first on the viability of this idea, and if it's not completely crazy, what would you suggest in terms of build/stats/skills/etc?

I was thinking a fighter or barb with high speed stats/skills.. with the aforementioned 'rogue' skills if that's even possible. 

Again, total newb, so sorry if it's a crazy question, but I don't want to spend hours tonight when I actually get home to play reading up on everything.. I kind of know what I want, maybe now you can help me build it!

Thanks in advance!

A

Hi,

not sure what do you mean by 2-handed fast speed fighter. Best speed you get with 2 weapons set, two handed weapons are slowest.

As for rogue skills, mechanics and stealth can be used by all classes so it doesnt matter what class you are going for lockpicking/stealth

If you mean backstabbing then rogue is only option

Stat you want maxed is dexterity as you can get 30% attack speed boost with it. Monk may be good option for you as you can futher gain another speed boost with skill 'swift strikes'. Dont worry, monk can wear any armor or weapon as all other classes so you can look like warrior in plate with great sword if its what you are looking for.

Just to warn you tho, Armor is reducing your attack speed so if you want to be attacking fast, you will have to sacrifice your damage reduction.

Other options are:

Barbarian - good health and aoe attacks

Fighter - well thats what you want :)

Rogue - as I mentioned above, you can put him in fullplate if you wish

Above all - Have FUN!

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Thanks chilloutman! 
I should have noted that I recognize that a 2h weapon is always slower.. but I thought to make him as quick as possible with one. 

With your info I'll probably go for a Dex focused fighter hoping to use some (eventually) nice light armor to minimize my speed loss. Any idea what the "best" light armor is early on? I'm assuming some leather variant?

I may even consider a 2h-weapon rogue in order to get backstab.. giving me (if successful) a nice chance at a crit hit early on. 

Any recommendation on stat distribution?

What about maximizing my deflection since I will likely use light armor?

Thanks!

You could do this pretty easily with a fighter given that the skills for lockpicking and searching for traps is something totally separate from class, so if you just want a fighter that can do rogue utility stuff that's easy.

Keep in mind that you could also make a rogue that is more of an upfront fighter and who wields a greatsword, but will be squishier than the fighter alternative in exchange for much higher damage. A rogue in this game is basically an offensive oriented combatant that specialized in fighting dirty, they're not necessarily the typical sneaky dagger wielding assassin (though you can build one that way)

Thanks chilloutman! 

I should have noted that I recognize that a 2h weapon is always slower.. but I thought to make him as quick as possible with one. 

With your info I'll probably go for a Dex focused fighter hoping to use some (eventually) nice light armor to minimize my speed loss. Any idea what the "best" light armor is early on? I'm assuming some leather variant?

I may even consider a 2h-weapon rogue in order to get backstab.. giving me (if successful) a nice chance at a crit hit early on. 

Any recommendation on stat distribution?

What about maximizing my deflection since I will likely use light armor?

Thanks!

Well thats very hard to answear, every point of damage reduction is slowing you by 5% so balance is really up to you. if you will use someone else as tank you can run aroud only in cloth, but I would not recommend it as I often end up getting attacked sooner or later. about other stats, well might is good for damage, but you will then loose most points for deflection, it may be good idea to go with deflection stats - perception and resolve

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"