Lord of a barren land - Question

I'm stuck after killing Lord Raedric. After talking to him for the first time, I decided to pay Kolcs a visit, since he had not told me the whole truth about himself. So I went to Magran's Fork and found him in his hideout. He convinced me to go and kill Raedric anyway, so that's what I did, but when I went back to the hideout, Kolcs was gone and only Giacco was there to greet me. 

The journal still says "Confront Kolcs", even though I told him I would kill Raedric. I can't find him anywhere, so I can't finish the quest. 

Any help would be appreciated!

I can't complete this quest, I've killed raedric and nothing happened. some npcs in gilded vale says in killed raedric.

I saved in the throne room before the fight but when i load this save the throne room is empty now.

???

I've encountered a few points where quest scrips didn't execute properly. Well, one point to be precise--I opened Giacco's cell and he was totally non-responsive, couldn't talk to him or anything. I reloaded--thankfully had a quicksave right outside the entrance--and worked fine that time.

This has nothing to do with the bug reported here, but I don't wanna make a new thread, so... please, someone tell me how you killed that godawful paladin of a Lord. :-/ The game has been pleasantly challenging for me up to this point (even though I snuck my way through the castle, mostly), but this particular fight is impossible - my entire party is down by the time I take out the supports, and I've barely made a dent in the paladins' armors.

Is my level too low, perhaps? I have a four-man party, all at level 4. What level/party size are you supposed to have when you go in there? :-/

This has nothing to do with the bug reported here, but I don't wanna make a new thread, so... please, someone tell me how you killed that godawful paladin of a Lord. :-/ The game has been pleasantly challenging for me up to this point (even though I snuck my way through the castle, mostly), but this particular fight is impossible - my entire party is down by the time I take out the supports, and I've barely made a dent in the paladins' armors.

Is my level too low, perhaps? I have a four-man party, all at level 4. What level/party size are you supposed to have when you go in there? :-/

I had a 5 man party, with a ranged Cipher PC.

Basically, beating him the ''normal'' way (by walking among his goons and engaging via dialog options) isn't really possible at level 4. You will get mobbed and torn to pieces in a hurry. I set up traps and trap spells (Durance the priest has some, did you get him?) at the stair in front of the throne room, got my two tanks in front, 3 ranged in the back, and attacked the archer from sneak to dispatch it right away. The fight was still hard as hell, and a chaotic mess. I basically won thanks to Aloth, who cast two Rolling Flame spells into the enemy priests and mages, enabling my PC to kill them. At the end, it ended with Edér tanking the lord and his paladins while Aloth slowly chipped away at their health with his crossbow. Definitely the hardest fight in the game so far. You might want to grab the 5th or even 6th companions and come back.

It is a rather jarring difficulty jump from the rest of the place. I went in by the dungeons, which mostly had easily killed level 1-3 skeletons. Then the game smacks you with this **** and his posee.

I had a 5 man party, with a ranged Cipher PC.

Basically, beating him the ''normal'' way (by walking among his goons and engaging via dialog options) isn't really possible at level 4. You will get mobbed and torn to pieces in a hurry. I set up traps and trap spells (Durance the priest has some, did you get him?) at the stair in front of the throne room, got my two tanks in front, 3 ranged in the back, and attacked the archer from sneak to dispatch it right away. The fight was still hard as hell, and a chaotic mess. I basically won thanks to Aloth, who cast two Rolling Flame spells into the enemy priests and mages, enabling my PC to kill them. At the end, it ended with Edér tanking the lord and his paladins while Aloth slowly chipped away at their health with his crossbow. Definitely the hardest fight in the game so far. You might want to grab the 5th or even 6th companions and come back.

It is a rather jarring difficulty jump from the rest of the place. I went in by the dungeons, which mostly had easily killed level 1-3 skeletons. Then the game smacks you with this **** and his posee.

I have a 2W Rogue PC, and only one tank... I do have Durance, but I cannot set more than one trap at a time: whenever I put down a new trap, the previous one disappears. You speak of them as plural, so I am guessing that's not an intended balancing feature? Also, can you sneak in combat?? I took the Backstab feat, but it turned out pretty useless thus far, because I can never sneak up to within 2m of any enemy. About Eder tanking: I still don't get whether tanking even works in this game. Even with maxed out Engagement, the enemies often just ignore it, and rush for my mages. I mean, it's the tactically smart thing to do, but I'd like some means of controlling the battle.

Also, if I come back later, will everything remain the same? Because it's kinda silly, plot-wise, if I infiltrate the fortress, then leave and come back a month later to finish off the last boss, still waiting for me. :D

I just wanted to let you guys know that we're following up on this.

To help us in troubleshooting this issue, I'd much appreciate a save game file with which I can look deeper to see what could have gone wrong. If you have a save prior to the fight and another after the fight then so much the better.

Feel free to e-mail me those files directly at jsalgado@obsidian.net

Thanks for your patience, folks!

Jorge.

I am having a slightly different issue. I killed Raedric and now my quest is incomlete saying 'Kolsc is now free to claim Raedric's Hold and its surrounding lands including Gilded Vale.'

The Npcs in the hold were responding to Raedrics death (well that old priest guy anyhows) but I still have the quest in my journal. Ok nevermind I am stupid it actually worked and that is just what it says afterwards.

In regards to how tanking works  Korevas I will say this : Distance is important and make Durance a tank until you get someone else. I had Eder go in front and initiate the conversation. I had Durance as the 'backup' tank to stop anyone who got past Eder (and also to stop Eder from dying since I am playing on hard). I had my wizard and druid (my pc) both standing a good ways back when I did the conversation. I have found the enemy will run around my melee, but only to an extent. I used the druid DPS spells and the Wizard CC spells (the aoe confusion and blind spells being my favourites) from the back while using the defensive spells that Durance had to keep Eder up (he dropped half of his endurance as soon as the conversation ended). I also used Durance to stop anyone going down the stairs.

I am having a slightly different issue. I killed Raedric and now my quest is incomlete saying 'Kolsc is now free to claim Raedric's Hold and its surrounding lands including Gilded Vale.'

The Npcs in the hold were responding to Raedrics death (well that old priest guy anyhows) but I still have the quest in my journal. Ok nevermind I am stupid it actually worked and that is just what it says afterwards.

In regards to how tanking works  Korevas I will say this : Distance is important and make Durance a tank until you get someone else. I had Eder go in front and initiate the conversation. I had Durance as the 'backup' tank to stop anyone who got past Eder (and also to stop Eder from dying since I am playing on hard). I had my wizard and druid (my pc) both standing a good ways back when I did the conversation. I have found the enemy will run around my melee, but only to an extent. I used the druid DPS spells and the Wizard CC spells (the aoe confusion and blind spells being my favourites) from the back while using the defensive spells that Durance had to keep Eder up (he dropped half of his endurance as soon as the conversation ended). I also used Durance to stop anyone going down the stairs.

Thanks for the advice. I tried using AoE CC spells but I somehow always end up hitting my own guys more than the enemies. :-/ Also, how exactly do you stop an enemy going past you? Whenever I try, they just take their AoOs and run on, without aggroing me.

I had this same issue. I was unable to kill Raedric after talking to him (I was far too weak) so I lured and killed the group in a nearby doorway. I had to shoot at them before talking or I would die before making it to the other room.

I just wanted to let you guys know that we're following up on this.

To help us in troubleshooting this issue, I'd much appreciate a save game file with which I can look deeper to see what could have gone wrong. If you have a save prior to the fight and another after the fight then so much the better.

Feel free to e-mail me those files directly at jsalgado@obsidian.net

Thanks for your patience, folks!

Jorge.

I've emailed you my save files.

Basically, beating him the ''normal'' way (by walking among his goons and engaging via dialog options) isn't really possible at level 4.

It's possible on normal difficulty, seeing as I did it just an hour ago. Well, if you leave your team down the stairs and send only one person to talk to Raedric. I tried to keep everyone dazed or blinded as long as I could, I used up most of my scrolls (Rolling Flames ftw), but really it was just a matter of luck because I haven't quite got the hang of aggro yet. When I didn't manage to grab enemies with Eder, I promptly got slaughtered.

You have to kill priest and archmage first, then deal with the armored knights. On Normal difficulty, it isn't really that difficult. And then exit via the main door - Kolsc should appear and thank you for getting rid of Raedric for him.

Basically, beating him the ''normal'' way (by walking among his goons and engaging via dialog options) isn't really possible at level 4.

It's possible on normal difficulty, seeing as I did it just an hour ago. Well, if you leave your team down the stairs and send only one person to talk to Raedric. I tried to keep everyone dazed or blinded as long as I could, I used up most of my scrolls (Rolling Flames ftw), but really it was just a matter of luck because I haven't quite got the hang of aggro yet. When I didn't manage to grab enemies with Eder, I promptly got slaughtered.

It's still similar to my tactic, just with one character baiting the goon squad into your battle line. I also play on Hard, there are probably 1-2 less enemies on Normal.

And yeah, the armored guys do little damage. The Lord himself and his mages do most of the hurt. Paralyze him, and focus fire on the ranged one at a time. Level 6 now, and I haven't encountered anything as hard as this fight yet. If you can beat him, you can confidently beat anything in Defiance Bay.

hmm I hope there are harder fights >.> . I actually one shot this fight, had more trouble at level 2 trying to clear out under the temple. The fights with two shades plus shadows vs my three guys two of them casters .... a lot harder than I found Raedric. The shades keep summoning shadows and I found I had to have a fair bit of loading to get past those fights. I actually went back with Durance to get through the last little bit of it because it was so hard. 

Um, everyone who has had this bug should make sure their characters have walked down the ramp away from the platform where you fight him. It seems like that solved the problem for me - quest update and cutscene happened when I entered the area at the bottom of the platform

Intuitively, it does seem like it should trigger immediately, but we may have all been jumping at shadows.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

You have to kill priest and archmage first, then deal with the armored knights. On Normal difficulty, it isn't really that difficult. And then exit via the main door - Kolsc should appear and thank you for getting rid of Raedric for him.

So the quest only triggers if you leave through the front door? Because if you snuck in, you still have a ton of guards patrolling the main floor, so you have to exit through the sewers.

Also, my favored tactic for taking out the wizards is to have my melee guys shoot them with arbalests right at the start and then switch to melee without reloading.

So the quest only triggers if you leave through the front door? Because if you snuck in, you still have a ton of guards patrolling the main floor, so you have to exit through the sewers.

Also, my favored tactic for taking out the wizards is to have my melee guys shoot them with arbalests right at the start and then switch to melee without reloading.

You can't actually leave through the front door as it is locked, it will open with Kolsc as you approach it and trigger the end of the quest.

• Like 1

If it doesn't kill you, it just missed its target.

You can't actually leave through the front door as it is locked, it will open with Kolsc as you approach it and trigger the end of the quest.

You mean the front door of the throne room, or the door of the keep?

Oh yes, totally possible. Again, I just did it. 4 man party - couldn't do it 3 man so I got a level 1 priest from the inn, though everyone else was level 3. Kept her behind Eder, with Aloth taking down the priests first from range. My Cipher PC got knocked out in the heat of battle, but her twisted body made a nice block in the doorway ;)